SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As I'm waiting for my 917 n°20 from Fly, I've got a pit box from scalex ready for the JW team Gulf, but I would like to find a logo from John Wyer Automotive. Is anybody have one, or a link to see this ?

Dr Scalex and Mister Mike...

All the team is waiting for the car....since 2 weeks (bought on Ricardo.ch, like......e.bay)

Thanks for the help

Mike Delanney

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
That's hard to find.
The closed I came was this after seaching (AltaVista) the web for John Wyer Engineering:
http://www.arrakis.es/~luis.delapresa/Pag0...201972-1973.pdf

I once saw a videotape with John Wyer and his Gulf team. I think it is called "GT40 and 917" or something like that. From around late 60's and early 70's.

I got four books about Porsche 917 and noone has a picture of the John Wyer Engineering logo. At the signs over the pits is just says "Porsche 20" and on all the Gulf Porsche's is says "Gulf Porsche".
I hope someone elsea can help you find the logo, 'cause I would love to see it too.

Maybe you should try Racebaan since he is into Gulf Racing!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi René,

Thanks for reply, after visiting links you gave me,I did'nt found any logo. But inspired by two photos in "French kiss with death" page 216, I tried to create a logo.
What do you think about it ?

I found Gulf logo in brandsoftheworld.com, for the rest, it's a "do-it-yourself"

Mike Delanney

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ Mark : Thanks for giving logo Gulf
@ René : Thanks for enjoy,

I try again another one, I didn't found the right police for the word "Porsche-Gulf", so it's a little different.

In that foggy day in Switzerland, I'm still waiting my Gulf 917 n°20

Mike Delanney

·
Registered
103 Posts
Slightly off topic but what i've been keeping an eye out for is a circa 1970 1:32 Gulf JWA transporter (as featured If I remember rightly in McQueens le Mans). Never come across one though, not in any scale......

love the McQueen figure by the way

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (cube @ 13 Dec 2004, 23:51)Slightly off topic but what i've been keeping an eye out for is a circa 1970 1:32 Gulf JWA transporter (as featured If I remember rightly in McQueens le Mans). Never come across one though, not in any scale......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ouch !
I think it's very rare because as I'm a1/43 collector, a few month ago, I was looking for race transporter (Ecurie Ecosse, Porsche etc...) and I never saw a Gulf one. So, in 1/32

The figure of Mike Delanney is made with a scalex one as you could see. All my scalex figures are repainted and their base are cuted and changed by a rodhoid one to be little more realistic. You can put them everywhere within seeing their base. Two months ago I bought figures from revell, well painted, but on a too big base two...
If you find a photo of this JW Gulf truck, could you send on the forum ?
Thanks very much

Mike Delanney

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (cube @ 13 Dec 2004, 23:51)Slightly off topic but what i've been keeping an eye out for is a circa 1970 1:32 Gulf JWA transporter (as featured If I remember rightly in McQueens le Mans). Never come across one though, not in any scale......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just found a photo of renn transporter Porsche Team in the 70'S, gulf racing had the same

Was it like this the one you have seen ?

Mike D

·
Registered
103 Posts
QUOTE If you find a photo of this JW Gulf truck, could you send on the forum ?
I know I've got a photo in a book somewhere, i'll have a look......

·
Registered
103 Posts

Sorry not a colour photo. Wouldn't mind the Ferrari transporter as well, they'd look great with the Fly Gulf Porsche 917k Historical Team cars and the various 512s 1970 Le mans works cars....

Cube

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (cube @ 15 Dec 2004, 01:32)

Sorry not a colour photo. Wouldn't mind the Ferrari transporter as well, they'd look great with the Fly Gulf Porsche 917k Historical Team cars and the various 512s 1970 Le mans works cars....

Cube

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Cube !

That's a great photo
As I can see, it's not the same lorry that they had during Gulf-Porsche season, it was a Mercedes one like on the picture I joined before on this topic, so, if it's Gulf Mirage, it's in 1975, the victory year for this car.
I don't know why there is not a lot of docs about John wyer because he was one of the best team manager during the 60's and 70's (Aston-Martin, Ford, Porsche, Mirage...).
Thanks for the pic

Mike Delanney

·
René &#39;Vialli&#39; Christensen
4,861 Posts
QUOTE (cube @ 15 Dec 2004, 01:32)

Cube

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the pictures is from Le Mans 1970, because you can see the tail of a Porsche 917K (no. 22) in front of the picture. And at the Ferrari truck there is more than one tail of a 512S Coda Lunga (no. 7)!

This summer/fall there was a new book on the market only about Gulf racing - correct me if I'm wrong - and that book most have a lot of pictures. Can't remember the link and haven't got the book - yet!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well spotted on the tails slotrace.dk, I am pretty certain that this is indeed a photo from the 1970 Le mans, I have seen another photo somewhere and although the far right of the van is obscured in the photo it reads 'Gulf Mirage Porsche [and something else i can' remember]'.
Will see if I can track down that other photo, it may have even been in a scene from 'Le mans' (the film).....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts