SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Hi guys I'm going to be entering kings Lynn and just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm new to slot car racing as only just joined Presto Park. Really looking forward to racing with you guys. Most classes I understand but need so help with the modified classes. What car types do I need? What gets modified?

Hope you guys can help

Thanks Lee

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hi Lee,

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to meeting you at the race.

I'll let Deane (Montoya1) explain the Mod rules for you as he is the rule writer.

You'll find that someone will generally have a car to loan you for any class if your own creations are struggling or for any other reason.

Cheers

Gareth

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I have informed Clive to look out for you Lee, but he is up in Derby for the HO 24hr hour now, so he may not get in touch straight away. Keen as you are I would hold fire buying anything to race until you have touched base with him.

Briefly the afternoon classes break down as follows:

Nascar

There are a few modifications allowed in this class, in as such as they are allowed in the rules for all classes. Any solid rear axle for example. Cars tend to run pretty stock in the class, apart from the usual stuff like lapping in gears and tweaking pick-up shoes. The Life-Like T chassis tends to dominate this class, although the far more tunable Tomy AFX SG+ (now defunct) can win on tracks with long straights and in the right hands. You will need to bin the car's rear wheels and tyres, if somebody has an axle with this at King's Lynn they can show it to you, you will soon see why!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
LMP1

Seasons run from Sept-June, and for the current season the LMPs are the newest class, and so far the most popular. In theory you can take your car from Open Wheel and use it again with a suitable body:

But some choose to have a dedicated chassis for the LMP class. The same tricks apply in terms of tuning, including magnet flipping, with the addition you don't have to apply the 453 rule, which I will explain fully later.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Modified

One of the oldest classes, under different guises it dates back to 1992 (and before that as the contentious chassis class in a civil war that splintered HO club racing). The name is a bit of a misnomer in that it went back to a former status in tuning allowances once we added ProMod class. You can run any gear ratio, and some of the front runners are now starting to tap into this. The most common upgrade is to fit the Tomy Turbo can motor into the chassis that dominants the class (and created that civil war), the Marchon MR1. Other chassis to have won in this class are:

The Tomy SRT
The Artin F
The Life-Like T (usually fitted with a Rokar Datsun 240Z)

That just leaves Pro-Modified, the fastest HO class in Europe, which I will cover tomorrow once I have opened my BD presents!

Open Wheel I will cover another time...

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Welcome Lee. You'll enjoy the meeting at Kings Lynn - always one of my favourites on the calendar.

All Deane's suggestions are good. I reckon two of the four F1 club cars are much quicker than my f1 car, so you can try before you buy and still be very competitive.

The afternoon classes are fun and give you the choice of a few modifications or loads - and everything in between. I wouldn't be surprised if you get offered a car to borrow for the afternoon.

There are some nice re-liveries out there to, if that's something you enjoy doing. Here's an LMP Mike at our club has done:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hello Lee

Great to hear a new person is going to give slot racing EAHORC style a try, i'm sure you'll love it, most people do.

I notice from an earlier post you are into American motorsport as am I and in HO you will be very well catered for, current NASCAR and NHRA cars are available, as are the last Champ Cars as well as sprint cars and american muscle. Look up LifeLike, AutoWorld and AFX racemasters respectively.

Research away but unless you can't resist hold off until you come to Kings Lynn and do some networking. There are pretty strict rules about advertising goods and services 'in thread' on here.

As woodcote says the 'club cars' are pretty good and there will be no shortage of cars thrust your way in the PM i'm sure, I have a pretty good NASCAR that is seriously underused if that takes your fancy

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah going to research what cars are out there but eventually want to get my own but be after king Lynn I think.

Your right marc I do love my Indycar and NASCAR. So looking forward to seeing you all and getting a few tips off u all.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Must admit thou just looked on life like and am very tempted to get the jeff Gordon replica of this years NASCAR. Especially as jeff is my favourite NASCAR driver

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I'd wait to speak to Clive and see the lie of the land at King's Lynn, unless you are going to have a home track - in which case if you want something then get it!

For the Nascar class it is generally considered better to avoid the COT bodies. This is a pity as they look really good, especially the 2011 Gordon car in the red/black, but they just don't handle as well.

The ones to look for in your case are:

as opposed to:

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
The big thing with Life-Like is to buy new as opposed to used or loose. The chassis are not particularly tunable, there is a way to get the magnets out without drilling from above which I am sure one of the users of that chassis will show you, so you can try magnet flips. They tend to go off the boil at some point, at that time it is a case of removing what you can and using another one.

If you buy mint you are stalling how long it is before it goes off the boil...

As for Champcars, you will see plenty of those. MBR has done some brilliant paint jobs, Woodcote has a wonderful looking Penske, there are some F1 repaints out there too, mixed in with the handful of 'real' colour schemes from AFX and their fantasy colour schemes.

I have the McDonalds Panoz, in my biased opinion the best of the lot, but sadly you won't see it run, even somebody like me who is puzzled by collecting slot cars would not be that crazy.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Pro-Modified

A few seasons ago we took the best elements from Mod as it was then, 'hobby' chassis (Slottech, BSRT, Wizzard) albeit with hard bodies, and the best element from Wizzard class, Lexan bodies albeit limited to one chassis, to form 'ProMod', the most open class raced in Europe.

These things are fast (I think the record AVERAGE speed record, on a roadcourse, is 330 IPS), expensive compared to other HO classes (but not other motorsport hobbies), and can be tricky to get running right. But when hooked up there is nothing like them.

So far the BSRT G3 and G3R has a 100% win rate in this class, but at the last round Slottech came within just over a foot of breaking that streak. I am really tempted to get one to add to my G3R, and I know marctownsend is comtemplating a group purchase. If, and it is a big if given the cars are expensive and the track will be twisty, somebody lets you turn some laps with one at King's Lynn, he might just be the person to talk to, along with Clive...

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Hi Lee H, welcome to the wonderful world of HO Slot Car racing, and remember you don't have to race magnet missiles.

I'll be at Kings Lynn, probably coming last, I'll be racing a Tyco Ferrari in the morning and an orange Porsche 997 in the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm going to start building my own home track in next couple of weeks.

Love the pic of the target car (although I would have to paint Dario helmet). For me personally my favourite NASCAR drivers are montoya and jeff and in indycar Dario (who I saw win at rockingham in champ car). The room where I having my track is actually going to be a bit of a shrine to the great Mr Franchitti.

Wish could have my own cars for kings Lynn as probably feel a little bit worried about rolling and damaging someone else's but in same breath want my own cars to be competitive. Just don't know what to do. If had choice would like to buy a set of cars of someone that means I can enter every race.

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So far the BSRT G3 and G3R has a 100% win rate in this class

I think I nicked some wins back in the first pro mod season (2009) using the T1, with Dave R usually hot on my exhaust pipe. He did kick my a*** fair and square at DHORC that season though

Cheers Mart

1 - 20 of 43 Posts