SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I had a couple of days off around last weekend to work on it and...

...last night it counted 600 laps faultlessly.

This was after I finally identified the source of the problems with false and missed detections as being caused by electromagnetic noise from the track and fitted a quite substantial ferrite suppressor on the cable from the track sensors to the interface board.

It remains to be seen if the system will work as well on a club sized track...

The plan is to run the system in parallel with the established Tomy timers until we are sure it's working 100%

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
About 15 minutes as I was just running a small oval with the throttle set by an elastic band.

Yeah I think I initially underestimated this projects complexity... Hopefully we should have a pretty tidy system if it all performs in the real world though.

Once the basics are done I also have a long list of enhancements to add too...

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
If it works as I hope next Wednesday, then I will be starting a detailed thread about it...

It should be easy enough for anyone with some soldering skills to put together a system, and it should also work with other kinds of sensors so its appeal will hopefully be across all scales...

Cheers, I'll measure how wide the boot is later and let you know!

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Had the day off to do a bit of work on the RMS software and I thought I would share a screenshot...

Still much work to be done but for now you get
  • Position
  • Car number
  • Name (currently set to lane colour initial)
  • Gap from leader (or race time on last crossing of start finish time if you're the leader)
  • Interval to car ahead (or laps if you're the leader)
  • Lap
  • Last Lap Time (with F1 style colour coding yellow - slower than personal best, green - personal best, purple - fastest)
  • Fastest Lap
Currently we have the options of time limited racing, lap limited racing or free practice. It can do F1 style start lights and it beeps in a similar fashion to the Tomy timers so hopefully the transition won't be too painful...

It will certainly be interesting to see if it all works next week...

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Seven racers arrived in Yelling for the July SCHORC meeting. Tony had laid out a slightly less complicated track to accommodate fewer marshals, but it proved no less challenging to drive! The white and unusually the blue lane proved to be the most tricky...

F1 Qualifying
F1 qualifying yeilded some close racing and finished with Al as top F1 qualifier, followed closely by Tony and then Jim.

F1 Finals
Lee took a convincing win in the B final from Dave, Bob and Roy and hopped up to the white lane for the A final. Good qualifying proved crucial on this month's track though with no one bettering their qualifying position. Al took the win followed by Tony, Jim and Lee.

New for this month, fastest and best laps classification from all heats and finals.

Mod Qualifying
Bob really got to grips with his Tony Turbo this month and took the top qualifying spot, Al and Jim were a few laps behind him. Jim's F40 now running as the Blue Streak was on typically fine form as was Al's Porsche once Tony had replaced its worn pick-up.

Mod Finals
Tony took a clear win in the B final from Dave, Roy and Lee. Again the hop up was to the dreaded white lane... As in F1 the finishing order was as qualifying with Bob taking the win from Al, Jim and Bob.

The new timing system was trialled throughout the night in parallel with the club's usual Tomy timers and it performed almost faultlessly. Unfortunately Lee's Marchon upset it a bit on the blue lane and it missed a couple of its laps which will need some more investigation before next month...

Overall another great nights racing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts