SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm not treading on any toes here but I have just a few thoughts about this NSCC thingy...

I see that you can use one of 6 different cars. Two of these cars do not come with magnets, so they will immediatly be deemed uncompetitive. The SCX Citroen is just a little rally car, with a high centre of gravity so I don't think (well, I'm pretty sure...) that this will be competitive either. The Ninco car is also a really tall car, and don't really handle very well with the magnet in. So two cars left, the Carrera and the Scalextric. Almost everyone knows (bit of a sweeping statement, but you know what I mean) that Carrera cars really aren't that good without severe modfications. So we have the clear winner, the very latest and best car ever to be made by Hornby, the Lister LMP.

I see that this is the only car to use for the event, as all others, without modification, will be nowhere near it. However, why can't you just put an NC3 into the Ninco car. If it has an NC2 wrapper, I don't see how anyone will know... Similarly, Ozrace motors fit into the Lister and Carrera.

Another problem I see with magnet racing is zapping. Anyone with a computer has access to skematics which are simple enough to build which zapp your magnet and increase their strength by about 50% (correct me if I'm wrong...). And this is almost totally undetectable.

The problem is, you can use a dynamo and a magnet scale, but where do you draw the line? I've had NC2s which are faster than NC3's out of the box. And I'm sure you know the variation of magnets when the come out of the factory.

Just thought I'd put that out there. Hope someone can clear this up.

Lotus

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Couple more things:

I'm not going to compete in this compotition just playing devils advocate here.

Can anyone clear up these rules? Club cars, own cars, mags vs non mags.... whats going on?

Lotus

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Perhaps i have not made it clear, but i will try to clear it up.

The Championship is for ALL six classes.

Your own clubs will run six classes at your own track, with your own controllers, etc.

Say you have ten members at your club, they will each race the six classes. based on a four lane track that's a minimum of 24 races.

Members/clubs can decide to run with members own cars or the club can buy four of each class and race club cars - your choice (or you can do both and run two mini championships).

The winner of the entire mini championship will be invited to the finals in May 2005 where the NSCC will provide all the cars, tracks, controllers, power, etc, etc. At the finals the finalists will also have to race all six classes.

Clubs can decide to run the mag cars with or with mags (but you can't add mags to the Vanquish or the FLY car).

The sponsors (manufacturers) picked which cars we are to use and i think we have a pretty good mix of car types.

Keep the questions coming, like i said in the first post, this is the first time i have written a set of rules for racing and i'm sure there are other areas for improvement.

Ref the zapping of mags - like you said it's vertually impossible to check, unless you use the DS pocket checker prior to racing - this is upto individual clubs to police, but i suspect if one car seems to stick bettter than others it will be checked pretty quickly.

Gareth

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No offence to whoever came up with this, but it seems like it hasn't been thought out very much.

There seem to be quite a few flaws...

I'm a scrutineer at my club. So is my mate. If I REALLY wanted to I could get the hookiest car throught the heats and get me to the final.

Our club can't afford a kelvin light bench or a DS pocket tester.

I read on the rules that clubs should have tracks with lanes of the same distance and no lanes that are any better than any others. This is just not possible, I don't know of a single track where the club racers dont say "oh no, not xxxx lane..." or "yes, now im on xxx lane..."

There just seem to be too many things which haven't been considered.

Lotus

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone mentioned the spiritn of things...

Cheaters are cheaters, and cheaters want to win. So they cheat. They don't care about the spirit of the compotition.

Just trying to help. As a scrutineer, you have to think like a cheater...

Lotus

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
See Section 3,

h) All cars and competitors must run on each lane to equal out any difference in lane lengths etc.

With regards to cheating, maybe it would be better for your club to run club cars only and seal them after use.

In my experience of racing cheats get discovered pretty quickly.

Hope this will help
Gareth

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The only way to avoid this "fiddling" is to run the same cars in the same lane throughout the course of the evening and rotate the drivers. The referee can sort out which cars will run in which lane before the racing starts. You then have a timed event with the winner being the driver recording the best overal time for the 4 or 6 heats of the round having raced in each lane with the 4 or 6 different cars.

Drivers then only run their own car once in the 4 or 6 heats that take place. In the other 3 or 5 heats they race with an opponents car. They are all box standard anyway so this should not be a big issue for genuine participants.

It is only the "cheater" who will complain and of course they don't have to enter do they if they don't like the rules! (Slotforum "cheaters" =
)

Moped

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
If someone needs to cheat then they are not good or confident in the first place.
Sure a competant cheat could get reasonably far in the heats but who is he really cheating at this point? Only his own club mates or local people.

He WILL get found out eventually, anyone with skill and time in the hobby will have a good 'feel' for a car, how it runs, looks etc. The higher up the cheater manages to get the higher probability he will get found out.

I wouldn't worry about it too much Lotus.

Seal and use only Club cars like Jexy suggested then YOU don't have that worry anyway.

NO set of rules are going to fit everyones tastes exactly and IMO the current set from Jexy are looking very neat, tidy and fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts