SlotForum banner

Just heard those dreaded words...

4K views 62 replies 27 participants last post by  PETER GUNN 
#1 ·
"Aren't you going to stop buying toy cars? It is getting ridiculous".

I've only got 28 of 'em too.

See less See more
#3 ·
I can't remember who has it at the bottom of their sig but there's a quote something like:

A: "Why the sad face?"

B: "The missus said it's her or the slot cars....

....I'm going to miss her."

Or you could try doing a deal - you won't buy any more cars than she has pairs of shoes and dresses in her wardrobe she hasn't worn more than once.

Or you could just hide them.

Simples!

#5 ·
QUOTE I like the shoes/dresses thing.

........ waaaaaaaaaaaaay to much information

#7 ·
You're all sounding very brave on the forum you could try mentioning about more slot cars as you leave at great speed but if your wife is as good as mine at throwing a frying pan like a javelin she'll bop you before the first corner a very wise Keith.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you value your relationship then you will stop buying cars immediately. (Start a new paypal account, a new user name for ebay etc and then get everything delivered next door
)

#15 ·
QUOTE (vfr750 @ 3 Sep 2012, 19:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My wife has no idea how many slot cars I've got.

Come to think of it, nor have I!!

Cheers

John

Thanks for that John. I realised that I don't know how many cars I have and started to wonder.....

Pit box - 11. Silver equipment case - 25. Box in garage - 18. Cupboard in office -27. Other cupboard - way too many.

Good grief! Well over 100. And NO SHELF QUEENS other than the handful I'm selling coz I couldn't bring myself to race them and break them.

About 36 of them are chipped for ssd.

I've got it bad. Note to self - don't ever count cars again!

#21 ·
I always get such a chuckle from these threads. I shouldn't, but I do.

Alas, I'm the one with the car buying habit in our household. And when I get a new one I've got to get one for HL to run beside it. Unless, of course, it's a Morgan for his collection. Oh, and then there are the ones allocated to his kids.

But as was stated earlier: As long as there's a roof overhead, food on the table, money to pay the bills and it brings a little joy into your life what's the harm?

Either that or you could ignore the problem and hope that it goes away.

Embs

#22 ·
I stopped counting after 200 few years back.

Most i now can just add between the rest and she does not notice

(Shelf queens and racers)

Just have to beat her to the mail box, oh and i ofcourse buy her pressents too to even out the score if she finds out about one.

Example:
What ...you got another car...

Honey.. why are you not wearing those new earings i got you

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (Ember @ 3 Sep 2012, 23:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Alas, I'm the one with the car buying habit in our household. And when I get a new one I've got to get one for HL to run beside it.
Embs

I'm in agreement with Embs' approach whether the husband or wife is the slot car enthusiast. I often buy a pair of cars, one for
my wife...or make her custom cars to her taste. And I learned early on never to beat her when we race! The ultimate move is to
provide female drivers for all her cars...and allow her to give advice on hair color and clothing details (no kidding, she loves that).
She has come to enjoy our slot cars quite a bit...they are often sentimental reminders for her since I usually build her a custom
car for our anniversary, or are souveniers like the pair of vintage F1 cars we bought when visiting Goodwood (from the US).

Along those lines I also got my wife a vintage racing setup for the computer, and we can race cars she likes, or has interest in, on
real tracks. Racing side by side on the computer has been especially intriguing for her...as she comes to understand the different
cars by their nature. She had no way to understand Abarths versus Grand Sports until we tried them. We have learned that neither
of us can drive a rear-engine Porsche worth a darn, she is much better at driving American muscle cars than I...and ultmately we
share the same favorite of favorites: S1 Elan .

Two practical addenda: When I routed the wood slot track I made my wife's lane several feet longer overall (lots of curves so it's
not at all apparent visually), so I can race hard and still not quite beat her (!) About the computer driving simulation...my wife used
to criticize me for driving a "racing" line in 1:1 driving on country roads. She experienced it as me swerving left and right, instead of
realizing the road was swerving and I was staying as straight as possible. Since the driving simulation...she is learning to "swerve"
herself to keep from running right off the track.

Long story short...consider involving your wife, just understand she may not be interested for the same reasons you are.

John

PS getting back to the point, we now have 3 cases full of slot cars...and I'M the one who's always wanting to cull them a bit, she won't
let go of any of them (!)

#24 ·
I agree with John on his advice too.

I since recent started asking my wife for color themes and decorations and she takes that very serious,
she now is actually in the process of painting one of her own.

I also involve her more on other things in the hobby and since i am doing a bit of all things there are many things to show and discuss.

#25 ·
Mr Cahill, I think you've just become my hero. I sit here all the time reading these threads about wives not "understanding" and such and wonder how many of the boys have actually made a concerted effort to involve them or understand the other side of the coin. Those who seem to have had most success with making it a bit of a joint effort have done so through the scenic modelling side of things. Even if it doesn't work surely there are brownie points available for making the attempt with the lady fair.

I know, I'm very much in the minority, as I'm the one in my relationship with the fixation on all things automotive. But common ground can be found.

I've also been pushing for sometime for more and better female driver figures. Not the stupidly proportioned ones that seem aimed at the male fantasy. Let's face it, these are not going to help in the quest of getting girls involved in the hobby. Immense Miniatures have listened to my plea. So, I'm hoping we shall see some historic female drivers available (yes there have been some). Dennis McCluggage, Ruth Levy, Linda Scott, Bill Wisdom, Kay Petre, Pat Moss for just a few.

Anyway. Try it, but take a gentle approach.

Embs

BTW: My shoe 'collection' consists of a pair of each: Doc Martens (purple), fire boots (black), sneakers (black), knee high boots (black), dress heels (black) and a pair of dancing shoes (black). I could probably ditch the fire boots these days but they're good for hunting.
His Lordship's shoe collection: work boots, 2 pairs of fire boots, 2 pairs of sneakers (one light, one dark), 2 pairs of dress boots (one black, one brown), 1 pair of dress shoes (lace up), 1 pair of casual boots (brown cowboy boots... ugh!), 1 pair of casual shoes and hiking boots.
Who has the shoe problem?

#26 ·
This is not new about the other half having her own cars or in Sandra's case cars she came to a lot of the open meetings in the 1960's i managed to talk her into that by mentioning the shops in town if she got bored which she did and cost me a fortune to keep her on side then i came up with a brilliant idea make her some cars so 1 did unfortunatly i made them the same as mine and as i was at that time club champion she had some good motors and started beating the boys which made me very popular, but i soon saw the error of my ways when she beat me in one of the sports car finals, as she only came along for company i managed to persuade her to have some of the girls over on friday night and the status quo resumed, but had i learned a lesson no nearly 20 years later racing stocks at Wellgate she again had her own cars and history repeated itself when she won the final knocking off in the process me, the club sec and chairman and we were all red tops and she a blue somethings you never learn Keith.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.