SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All !
Just to let you know that I've joined you in the SlotForum. Thanks to everyone who's been recommending me for Ortmanns.
Colin.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Colin,
welcome to the forum. just a quick question about ortmann tyres. when used on abrasive tracks they deposit a grey dust, what is it?
jim.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (slot-tech @ 23 Jan 2005, 22:49)Hi Colin,
welcome to the forum. just a quick question about ortmann tyres. when used on abrasive tracks they deposit a grey dust, what is it?
jim.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the welcome. The grey dust is also produced when you sand the tyres, just the same as rubber is produced when you sand Scalextric tyres. If I knew exactly what it was then I'd be able to make the tyres myself. All I know is that it is a secret formula, obviously containing some kind of resin, hence the dust, but I don't know the proportion.
One thing is for sure, it ain't silicone! As far as I know Mr Ortmann is the only person who knows the formula and he's not about to tell anyone. The point is, they work and they work well.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Resin dust can cause lung cancer and therefore it's been a bit of a debate whether to use the ortman in competition or not. No-one has ever really known for sure (I think) but now it has been confirmed I expect a few championships to ban them.

Aside for the dust causing cancer, it also renders rubber tyres useless on the same circuit.

Andy

·
Registered
79 Posts
No it isn't confirmed, I'm just guessing like the rest of you. As I've clearly stated it is a secret formula.

If you have concerns about the dust I suggest you contact Ortmann. While you're correct in showing concern about resin dust perhaps we had better stop buying and using resin bodies (as these need sanding) and inform all the main slot dealers of the danger so that they too can stop stocking resin bodies and repro parts.

Also contact BTS mouldings in Hastings and warn him of the danger in using resin for Scalextric repro parts.

What makes rubber tyres useless on the track is all the fancy chemicals people like to apply to their tyres, definitely not Ortmann tyres.

Colin.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Welcome, Colin!

Having bought Ortmann's from RS Slot Racing, I can attest to Colin's excellent and prompt handling of mail orders!

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
It may have been a guess, but you said "obviously containing some kind of resin", so I figured you knew something...

There really is no need to go 'on the defensive'. Everyone knows that resin dust is dangerous, that's why I'm sure the above stated manufacturers are careful when making their products.

However, no-one sands their resin body shell while it laps the track. Of all the products that you stated, Ortmans are the only resin items to give off dust in public. For exmaple, you wouldn't mind if someone smoked in their own home, but you wouldn't want them to come to you slot car club and blow smoke in your face all night.

And lastly, "What makes rubber tyres useless on the track is all the fancy chemicals people like to apply to their tyres, definitely not Ortmann tyres." is just not true. It's been proven that Ortman tyres 'clean' the track (like silicone tyres) of all rubber deposits, wiping out the grip for rubber users.

This has been noticed on days when tyre treating is not allowed, and when it is. But simply, light oil and other petrol products will change the compound of the rubber, but so long as they are dry when the car hits the track, it will not affect any other drivers.

Andy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hang on a minute.
I make a SUGGESTION that the tyres are some kind of resin, clearly stating that I don't actually know what they are made from and the formula is a secret.
I then get someone who I don't know from Adam jumping down my throat about lung cancer and get accused of being on the defensive!
What's more, you are now stating that they ARE resin (incorrectly)and getting all safety conscious.
So how do you justify using petrol in a public place. I do believe it is carcinogenic when in contact with the skin, the fumes are toxic, and I think it might be a little flammable. How about that for a safety issue.

Thanks for such a warm welcome to the SlotForum.

Colin.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Sorry if you thought it was some kind of personal attack. It wasn't it wasn't even an attack on the tyres. I was merely commenting on the fact that the dust produced would be dangerous if they were made from some sort of resin, which I believed you stated (up there ^).

As far as I know, you do not produce these tyres. Am I correct?

As for jumping down your throat; I'm pretty sure I didn't... I never asked you or told you to stop stocking these tyres. So I thought the comment about contacting the stockists of resin bodies was a bit OTT. I have also never said that a club or championship organiser should ban them, I simply said that I expect it would happen. And for the record, I have heard of clubs that have banned petrol on the premises.

One more thing... Why is there a need to mock me for being safety concious? For one thing, I'm not in anyway safety concious, I was simply playing devil's advocate. And for another thing, why shouldn't I be safety concious? Is it a bad thing?

Anyway, I'll apologise if I've caused any kind of offence. And I certainly did not want to give you an unfriendly welcome to slotforum.

Oh well,

Andy

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Time out!

Let's start again (or at least, McLaren and Colin) and agree not to eat Ortmans. Or something.

Funnily enough, I'm driving a UN-style white 4X4 tonight. Sadly it's a Land Rover Defender. Not sure what it defends against, but it is like time travel. I got to show my kids what motoring in the fifties was like!

Peace!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Guys,
now now Andy, don't shoot the messenger! the debate over ortmann tyre dust has been going on for a while, i asked colin the question to shed a little light on the subject. it would appear he is as much in the dark as us. if or when Mr ortmann himself joins the forum maybe we will be able to persuade him to shed some light on the matter.
jim

·
Registered
715 Posts
OK, our labs in lower upper eastern half of West New Hampshire have determined that the secret formula is a mixture of Trim-Spa, peanut butter, maple tree sap and licorice.

There you have it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, RS!!

-Maltese

·
Registered
79 Posts
Excellent piece of detective work!
Now, if you could give me the exact proportions I can get on with making them in this country. I assume the peanut butter needs to be the smooth type.

Thanks for the welcome.

Colin.
R/S Slot Racing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts