SlotForum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hi all,its been a long time since i operated any slot cars but i am thinking about a return to the hobby.The last set i had was a tycopro championship lighted 37' set but i understand things have changed quite a bit since then.
I have not made the investment yet but am investigating differant options and am open to suggestions.
I have a limited space available so 1/24 or 1/32 is going to be pretty tough.30" wide and perhaps 10-12 feet long is maximum.
I am a Model Railroader and have been most of my life so scenery is a definite for whatever i do.I understand the HO sets are now more like S scale or 1/64th so 30" wide is not much for room and tight corners are likely in my future.I would like an over and under type layout,perhaps even a double folded dogbone.
Track type is where i need to start so which one is the best in HO scale,Tomy,Tyco,Lifelike?
Lifelike has always been kind of a joke in the railroading field until the past couple of years.theyve really developed some nice stuff so i dont want to count them out without hearing a bit from those in the know.
This is going to be fun i believe and i'm looking forward to learning all i can.Thanks in advance for all your help

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

YOu will have to wait for another to reply on the 'which is best' question as I am a solid 1/32 scale fan.

However, the answer you are most likely to get is ' the one you like best!'

This will be the politically correct answer of course, a browse through some older posts on track types and whaîch are best will give you a good idea why

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya Swiss,Wow a tech guru,just what i need LOL
I dug throughh some old stuff and lo and behold came across a set i bought for my son back in 1991.Its a Tyco set and had everything there.It was of course a looping type set so that was definitly out but i managed to put together about 17' over and under to test the pack and 2 lamborghinis that came with it.a couple hours and some work with some 600 grit sandpaper and a mini mill file i managed to get it up and running.Encouraged by this i bid on and got some additional tyco track from the same era.all total when this arrives i should have near 60' of track so with luck i should have enough track to complete a fair circuit for the area i have.
Now, about chassis...The cars i have have the old wipers and they are in good shape,however i assume parts may be a bit difficult to come by and wipers may need to be fabricated.Is there a Chassis and or line of cars in HO that seems to be the best?
Perhaps i should rephrase that question,
What are the strengths and weaknesses of the differant available cars and which line would make a good choice for an amateur .
Thanks for your help........tileguy

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi Tileguy - welcome to the forum.
I cannot answer your question - am quite ignorant when it comes to the scale you are talking about - only thing I know is that the Jonny Lightning musclecars look rather nice on picture - but have never seen any in real life...

Anyway - it might be wise to refrase your questions and ask them in other parts of this forum - e.g. in 'cars' - will yield better chance of good answers I think.

//peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts