SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just bought a scalextric for christmas for my son (yeah right
). It is the 'micro scalextric power champions'. Just wanted to know if the 'micro' sets are a good starting point? My son is 8 years old. I have not tried it out yet because I have a slight problem- It was supplied with a 2 pin european type of transformer. Since I am in the UK I was wondering if this is standard? Is it safe to just use a travel adapter? Thanks you. Paul.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Not sure what happened with the plug, but it should be fairly easy to pick up a UK supply and splice it in. I would think about getting a second terminal track and supply so that you can avoid the dreaded scenario where one cars speeds up when the other crashes. End result in usually two cars off the track.

That set is pretty good, a fair bit of track and the lap counter is always a good thing to have. if you are any good with painting, you can make the two generic cars look like current LMPs, with some peel-and-stick decals from Pattos.

I'd think about extending the layout if you have room, the well known auction site is usually awash with track, as well as adding a kill switch. This involves a little bit of work but should extend the life of the set being used. Basically you place a switch in the track that either of you can hit when you crash. You limit the number of 'kills' allowed, you can even introduce a handicap system by allowing your kid more kills. If you reach that limit before the end of the race, tough - you lose.

If you want to look beyond MS cars, go back to that auction site and search for 'AFX HO' and 'Tyco HO' (for example). There is a lot more to HO than first appears...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure how to go about spliceing in a new supply. Does this basically mean the one I have is useless in the UK? I'm not really sure what I'd be looking for if I need a new one. Thanks for all the tips too. As soon as I'm up and running, this could get out of hand! lol

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
If you have a travel adapter give it a try, but if not you would be better off getting a UK supply.

You can look for the actual Hornby supply, that will plug straigh in, or any wallplug supply that is around the 15V-18V area, and attach the plug from the Euro supply that goes to the track.

If you do a google for 'slotcarcentral' they have the 16V Micro Scalextric supply (#G8025) for a fiver, and the terminal track (they call it a powerbase) too, part number G107. They also sell track and spares...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is excellent. I did find a uk supply on another site for nearly 20 quid. Can't go wrong for a fiver. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got around to checking the set out last night and it works fine with a travel adapter. Just slightly wobbly. But I had great fun. I remember when I was young (back in the 80's) I had a scalextric and the 2nd car would speed up if the 1st came off the track. Could you please tell me a little more about how a second terminal track would work? I'd have thought that this would double the voltage through the whole track.
I was thinking of buying another full micro set. This way I'd get extra track, spare controllers, a second power supply and different cars as well as another terminal. Is there anything wrong with doing this? Also what is HO?
Thanks for reading and putting up with my silly questions.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
HO is used to describe 1:64 scale, though in model railways it's used for 1:87 scale.

If you want a 2nd Micro set PM me as I have a "My First Scalextric" set without cars that I'm not using.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
If you have a second terminal track and power supply, place them as far apart as possible in the new layout.

They won't increase power but they will get rid of the surge issue. With the lapcounter and kill switches you should then be set fair for some great racing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
montoya - I see now. Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to christmas more than my son now!
Julian - I was really hoping to get a set with cars. But thank you for the offer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just before I found this forum, I emailed scalextric to enquire about the incorrect power supply that was in my set. I received a replacement supply in the post today - free of charge. What excellent customer service!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
You can't grumble at that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts