SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Always a controversial debate but I wish to bring it up again because I have good reason this time.

Justin Wilson earned one point for finishing 8th in his second to last race last year in F1. Granted, he was mainly hindered by his poor cars all year, but the Jags were better in pace and reliability.

Anyway, after being booted from F1 he joined the Mi-Jack Conquest team in the US Champ car series for 2004. After 4 races he is 71 points up, 6th in the championship, qualifying as high as 3rd and finishing as high as 5th. He is only 34 points off of leading the championship!

So. Why is he doing so well in America when he did so badly in the 'European' F1 series?

Only one answer IMO, but what do you think?

Lotus

PS. Go Justin! Beat those yanks! lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ah Lotus,

Chump Cars is a mere shadow of itself these days.

No Andretti, no Penske, no Rahal, no Ganassi...

Its an 18 car field but a good 1/3 of them are league run support cars touring about to make good on the organisers contractual obligations to the race promoters.

So frankly whatever Justin does needs to be tempered with a rather large grain of salt. The same salt that Paul Tracy needs to add to his championship of last year.

And that's a shame because having one strong open wheel racing series in North America is a good thing, have two weak ones is a bad thing!

A brief walk backwards in history would suggest Nigel Mansell anwsered the Brit vs US question for all time... no?!

Cheers, Ken R

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't want to sound like a smart a$$. There are only 3 yanks in the entire field. That's 3 of 18. I'm not a big fan of any of those three. Vasser shot himself in the foot when he won the first CART race held the same day as the Indy 500. He was stupid enough to claim that he didn't need the traditional glass of milk. The 500 was, and may still be the Goliath of racing, and Jimmy couldn't reach David's kneecap. As far as the other two go, give them some time and they might just shoot their own feet off as well.

Kenny

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE someone had a fire-arms accident after failing to drink some milk??????

I think the cow shot him!

Champ cars are a shadow of their former selves.... but still twice the car that Tony George's IRL shams are! Nonetheless, yes, any F1 driver could probably be a star! Any F1 test driver could probably be a star! Any knowledgable F1 fan could probably be a star!
Wasn't always that way.... thanks, Tony!

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
QUOTE someone had a fire-arms accident after failing to drink some milk??????

Very good work there, Astro!

I never understood the kudos attributized to the Indy 500 but then, I ain't an Americano.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts