SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Mike Calcutt
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After seeing Spa67's & JohnH's here, I thought I should do the decent thing and show you my contribution to the club.

Sadly I don't have the kind of space available the other guys have, so this is fitted on an 8' x 6' table. The track length
is about 55' of SSD with the execption of the 3 SCX LeMans starts. Scenery wise there is still alot I want to do, but
racing always gets in the way.

Enjoy
Mike

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Great track Kaspin ! Not so small at all. What is the lane lenghth ? I am impressed how you managed to get in all that scenery in such a small space and make It look good. Love those elevations too

PS do the start lights work ? If so, how ? Connected to PB or PC ?

Regards, Marcel

·
Mike Calcutt
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys,

thanks for the comments, yes it is a lot of fun. It can be quite frantic with 5 or 6 cars, but you know what, it works.
We run all sorts from non-mag minis and rally cars to mag GT and F1.

Minardi. The inside line is about 55 feet and the outside line is about 58, but of course with digital that doesn't matter.
The start lights are not connected up yet, so running off a manual switch for the photos :)
But Spa67 had a great idea of wiring them up to the track call box and have them flash yellow, during an incident.
Either that or I will connect up a PC and use that, but for now its more for scenery than purpose as we use
the RichG lap display.

Graham Yep a lot of LC's I may have got carried away, but due to the space R2's were the obvious choice for curves,
so if you have a 90 degree R2 bend, might as well make it an LC. So plenty of chances to switch lanes and
make your move.

As for the the spectators I think i have almost every brand from Scalextrix, Carrera, SCX, airfix, MRRC, all from
ebay. The pewter ones can from a small website that has since closed down, which is a shame. Oh yes also
got a hundred or so homies and the biker guys. Working on the theory you got to have someone watching you :)
Still have a drawer full I need to paint and some out there still need their bases painted now I have decided where
to put them.

Mike

·
Mike Calcutt
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Good point 1eye101 I didn't mention power.

The master / slave powerbases are powered by a 5 Amp 13.8V Power Supply.

All the LC's bar one XLC are powered by 3 Scalextric power supplies.

The lights which aren't switched on in the photos as I have never been able to get a
good photo of them are Lionel trains yard lights, powered by a variable Lionel accessories controller.
The lights in the buildings are off the same supply. Which makes for some good night races.

Mike

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
QUOTE (kaspin42 @ 13 Jun 2007, 14:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

All the LC's bar one XLC are powered by 3 Scalextric power supplies.

Mike

Does that include the pitlane piece? I've got 1 clc, 3 xlc's and 1 pitlane but I've only powered the clc as it pulls more power than the xlc and pitlane pieces, as I understand from the digi section.

·
Mike Calcutt
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

yes all the Curved Lane changes, the Pitlane Entrance and one of the Straight Lane Changes are wired separately.
Mainly because I hadn't read the piece about the Pitlanes & Straight LCs being ok before I wired them

The 2nd Straight LC isn't separately wired ... So always read slotforum before making any changes to your track

Maybe one day I will be brave enough to show you the rats nest of wires under the table

Mike

·
Mike Calcutt
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep digital is a whole lot of fun and yes I think everyone here would love a bit more room...

Hoping that when my kids go to college I can expand it by 3 or 4 times its size :)
Assuming of course they leave me with any cash .
Mike

·
Mike Calcutt
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The scenery is still under development, but this gives a flavour of what I have in mind....

Note to self, must get those bases painted/removed.
Mike

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Hi Kaspin,

This track looks very nice with all the scenery and detail.
I know this thread is old, and you must have had a revamp, because you have posted this track plan since.

I looked for a new thread from you, but can't find one. Do you have any fresh pix of your current track, and have you added any scenic detail like your last track?

I was looking at your layout and was wondering about your pit lane sensor?
Where you have it positioned gives you reduced speed along the blue line (see below).

I was wondering why the sense pb was not positioned before the pit lane curve, giving you reduced speed for the whole pit lane?

How do you find the practicalities of the single pit lane? Does it become a bottleneck for racer's on different strategies?

·
Mike Calcutt
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi,

Due to space restrictions in the basement, ie the family wants to use the basement as well ( how unreasonable is that !)

2/3rds of the track is on folding legs and spends most of its life against the wall, only come out when I host
the club racing, so about once a month. The rest of the time the 8x6 table is all I use. So I have been lax
on the photos and will try and do some next time.

The location of the pitlane sensor has everything to do with space, if I have it before the pit lane curve
the PB hangs off the edge of the 8x6 table and makes it really hard to get by. ( due to the basement wall )
So I moved it to the front, so yes it makes for a small pit lane.

A single pitlane does present some challenges, but is all part of the pit strategy. there have been times where
you want to just fill up a half tank and the guy in front wants to do a full tank. but overall it works. It does
add that little bit extra thinking, which I like about digital.

Thanks for taking an interest
Mike

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Hi Mike,

A basement (or loft), is strictly a man's domain. It's the law!

Just noticed the link in your sig to the 2008 track pix.
I can see now that it has scenery, and great it looks too.

With regard to the pit lane PB not fitting, i have the exact same issue.
I intend to lengthen the wires and put the PB console remote from the sensor track piece, as you can see in the diagram in post #94 here

Pit strategy noted.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.