SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi,

posting few pictures and little bit of story of our Scalextric sport 4-lane trackproject. Becouse we're from finland our goal was to build a model of the famous finnish Keimola's Motorstadium which was very popular venue for many races during 60's and 70's. interserie, F2 and also one F1 car made tests there during 1974.

Keimola had over 1100m mainstraight and it was about 3300m long. Many famous race drivers participated events in Keimola: Frank Williams, Jack Brabham, Jim Clark, Dennis Hulme, Graham Hill, Jochen Rindt just to name few... Keimola was closed in 1978 and it started to grow off racing. January 2004 there was huge fire in keimolas pitstop which was used by tire recycling company. I live 2 kilometers from Keimola and i saw the "heat and smoke" from my backyard... However, here is some photos of real Keimola and our scalextric Keimola. I think that julius (lordjw) will go on. He is also member of our trackcrew.

Track plan:

David Pipers T70:

From pits:

Pits:

Helsinki GP 1966. Jack Brabham in front. Jack won, Dennis Hulme was 2nd and Jim Clarck was 3rd.

Interserie: Finnish Leo Kinnunen. Check the "gesipa" porsche number 5

Pitstop:

2004 fire in pitstop:

And the Scalextric version:

"Saunalenkki" curve:

Pitstop: (still in progress)

Gesipa porsche:

Overview (lordjw counting his tools at left):

Julius will go on and tell more while we get more photos... Has been lot of fun building this..

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Hi!

At the main straight "humped" section "out of the box" FLY Classic Porsches jump out of track just slightly. Very much fun to drive. We have tested also strong magnet modern F1 cars. At the top of the main straight hill those also lose contact of track for a short period of time. I must emphasize that since the original track dates back to -60's -70's the idea is mainly to race out of box FLY Classics.

Cheers!

Julius

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also think that hill and humb brings additional thrils what comes to mainstraight. Offcourse we are going to race modern cars as well (even planned to make portable commercials for modern races
)

I will definelty challenge other guys with these F2 racecars:

If planning travel to finland you should visit this track. It is open everyday and there is also karting track behind the windows..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Absolutely marvelous !!!

Superb realistic scenery on a large and nice trackplan !

That's it !!!!!!!

We used to have a club in a karting area in Belgium, but, of course, it didn't survive.

Hope Yours will ! More , more, and still more pics are very wellcome.

Congrats.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks everyone of comments!

Track is located near of Helsinki-Vantaas Airport and i have to say that it's dream place of every boy. There is Karting track, rallytrack, motocross track and RC cross track...and now there is also our scalextric Keimola
couple of years ago i tried toytota celica and Lancia Delta WRC cars on rallycross track.

We will post more photos hopefully during next week after we have finished lacquer work of scenery. Hole scenery will be lacquered so that it will be solid and all free particles will be attached on place.

·
Registered
52 Posts
QUOTE (vee8 @ 27 Sep 2005, 19:45)We used to have a club in a karting area in Belgium, but, of course, it didn't survive.

May i ask you why didn't your's survive?

We don't have any big expetations or plans... It's there just for fun :) It maybe brings more customers to the carting center and gives some things to do while waiting the start in kart? For us (me, Sami & Julius), there is no reason to take it away. It's our track.... So as long as Karting Center does not get bored into track...it will be there

Oh and by the way... Our track was on national telly last sunday :

Link

Emma Kimiläinen is racing in Formula Ford serie here in Finland (2nd on last season) and hopefully she will be driving in F1 after few years
So Daniela be aware...there are some fast womens here in Finland as well....

Petteri

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
That is simply fabulous! I'm interested in that control tower - is it seperate & behind the pits? I'm going to have to build one of those I think!

I like the idea of being able to have a bit of a race then "Stuff it - I'll play with a go-kart" then back to the cars - it's heaven!

It's a cracking track - looks like an awful lot of fun!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (Eno Dog @ 28 Sep 2005, 23:14)That is simply fabulous! I'm interested in that control tower - is it seperate & behind the pits? I'm going to have to build one of those I think!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tower is located between pitstop and straight which passes pitstop:

There is also smaller version of that tower located behind pits. That tower served kids racing.

Ofcourse there is also working Karting track modelled into our scenery (modified tyco cars). Track was Mika Häkkinen's and Mika Salos's hometrack during 70's and we have modelled it of 70's speedking track. It's going to be driveable also.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.