SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Pactra did one. at least I am 100% sure the body I have is Pactra and 90% sure it is a King Cobra.

I will get you a pic tomorrow and I am never going to build it so if it will go to a good home......

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Mine is the Cooper based one, I found it inside the box of a Monogram 1/24 Chapparal I bought. I have no idea how it got there but it was a nice suprise.
However it has sat here for nearly a year and needs a loving home I guess, here it is...

The reverse of the label says it is made of Pactron which I guess is another name for Lexan but under the Pactra label? anyone?

I have no idea of its scale fidelity but I am positive someone will know

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

I have one being done as we talk. 3 hinge anglewinder.

"Pactron" is just buterate plastic. The body dates from 65 and "Lexan" was not in use yet.

The same car was done by Monogram in Hard plastic(my favorite), and in Buterate as a blister pack cover by MPC. I think "Shark" also did on.

The Nostalgia version was made by starting with the monogram. AND, John also "back converted' and produced the climax powered version out of it.

Fate

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE (JohnP @ 13 Jan 2005, 23:41)Gah, come on Swiss get building - how can you not want one of those!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gah, come on Swiss get building - how can you not want one of those!

hmm - damn - getting tempted now.
I think time is always my enemy, however...

Howmet, whats it sitting on running gear and chassis wise and where did the engine detail come from?

No one offered to take it from me and build it so maybe I should get it trackside.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Oh yes! The OTHER King Cobra! They must breed, these things!

My Pactra bodied car sits on a scratchbuilt brass rod anglewinder chassis with brass plate drop arm, Swiss. The motor is an old Mabuch S, and the gears are SCD's I think. MRRC wheels/tyres, of course.
The engine 'detail' is a bunch of aluminium tubes for the carb intakes, chrome stack exhausts nicked from a MRRC Chaparral, long ago converted to another version. Fly driver, interior is black cardboard.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Derek,

I think that number 97 Cooper is actually the Lang Cooper driven by Charlie Hayes in 1965. It was quite different from the Carol Shelby prepared so called King Cobra version of 1963/64 and shared little of its success.

Jim

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

The Lang was actually a cooper/monaco/king cobra rebody, an attempt at better aero.

Another version you can get is the later monogram body with the flared rear wheel arches. This is modeled after the "Purple People Eater", an effort by Nickey Ford and Jim Jeffords to put wider tires in '65 on one of the cars. The Nickey guys had originally run a series of Vettes(they were a chevy dealer), then bought one of the Scarabs (for $17,500!!), then this car, then a McLaren Mk2.

I am not sure that their flared version saw much action. I have a video of the '65 Nassau race where the car was running against the Chapaarall IIs.

Fate

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.