SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the beginning…
The plan was to build a reasonable length track to allow me to trundle round with cars from my collection. These are standard mainstream cars that have not been modified.

The loft was the agreed venue as it was already boarded and the home of my existing track. During 2005 a window was fitted and I insulated the roof, moved all storage to the sides, boarded and painted the "ceiling". My old floor mounted (Scalextric Classic) track was removed and in 2006 I started to build the new layout. I used RMS to plan it with requirements for a long straight, pit area, reasonable lap length, analogue (as all my 100+ cars are analogue) and space for landscaping.

The table frame was mounted on castors so it could be moved to allow access to the rear of the layout. This was particularly important during construction but is now of lesser importance as all track (with the exception of the back straight) can be reached without moving the table.

Along the way…
The Scalextric Sport track and boarders were purchased in stages and two layers of 3mm MDF cut and shaped around them so the track is at the same level as the surrounding "ground".

Now I know that some of you are saying "should have routed". However, whilst I did consider it, I decided not to go the "routing route".

I like my layouts (I have previously made a "N" gauge railway layout as well as the previous Scalextric track ) to have an almost "clinical" look to them rather than a fully realistic feel, hence the use of "stock" buildings, pit walls etc., with minimal modifications and also mass produced trees. This also suits my limited modelling skills.

The only fully home-made item (apart from the hills and pond) is the paddock chain-link fence. This is two inch nails linked with mesh bought from Homebase and cut to height.

The pit lane entry and exit was made by Erwin at Pitslot in Germany. A great guy, producing a great product, but it is (very) expensive. However, it means that I have a working pit lane. I designed and made the pit switching units and wired in a set of traffic lights at the end of the pit lane. If either or both of the pit entry flippers are set for pit entry, then the pit lane traffic light will be red.

A few facts and figures…
The lap length is approximately 16 metres with a back straight of 5 metres. There are four power taps around the track. The grass is Woodlands Scenic plastic backed mats (so it could be heated and "folded" down adjacent to the track/boarders and then retain its new shape), the trees are K&M and the hills are newspaper and mod-roc!

The buildings are from the usual suspects including SRA, MRRC, Scalextric, SCTB and Howard Scenic Supplies.

There are still more buildings to buy and the seemingly never ending quest for people to populate the grandstands but by the end of 2007 it should be virtually there!

I modified my Scalextric Challenger (tyres and magnet) and it now works like a dream. However, it is too quick for many of my cars and it does not look right on track with cars from the 50's through to the early 80's. So I utilised the old pacer unit and fitted it onto the Sport lap counter track section and mechanism, and then re-wired it. Now I can have Sharknose racing Cooper, Tyrrell racing Lotus! (Perhaps I should find some friends, or maybe even let the children race with me?)

Without whom…
Many of the SF member's layouts have provided me with inspiration and ideas and I know that my layout will never be completely finished as there will always be a little something else to add here and there. Sean and his team at Pendle have also been very helpful giving advice and guidance on what would be a suitable purchase for the size and type of layout.

I have kept a record of the costs involved with this project and when I look it frightens me! But my wife is very understanding ("well if it is worth doing, it is worth doing well" she said as I explained why I wanted to spend hundreds of pounds on a pit stop, a DS lap counter and a gantry) and it keeps me out of trouble….well kind of…!

If anyone has any questions please ask and I hope you didn't mind me sharing this with you…

Cheers,

Philip

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ferraif40,

The podium figures (including the one laying down in the picture and a thin woman who is not in the picture!) are SRA, as is the podium. I bought them from Pendles but since SRA are now "missing in action" they are not so easy to find.

The "challenger" is the normal Scalextric Merc that uses the key that plugs into the powerbase and the infra-red tower. That needed "sticky" tyres and a Slot It magnet mounted underneath at the rear to keep it on the island.

The "Pacer" unit was produced by Scalextric (in Classic track) over five years ago. With this unit you drive a car around the track and the pacer unit remembers the controller's actions (resistance levels). It will then reproduce this lap after lap (but only on one lane). However, it cannot cope with rapid changes of resitance or controllers wired for brakes and so careful driving is required. Also the car has to register each lap via a switch in the guide slot. Therefore to get this working with Sport track I used the lap counter mechanism and track (removing the switch from the second lane) and mounted the pacer unit in the position that the lap counter body once sat.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Philip

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like the track and really like the space it's in. Just a suggestion(not a criticism): You got a wall/ceiling that absolutely cries for a diorama on it.

Enjoy your track, Well done!

JW

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
That's a lovely piece of work, done how you want it done, not how you think others might like it done, if you see what I mean. There are several little things there that have inspired me, and that is what this is all about, isn't it? Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

BTW, where did you get your tyre changers (the machines, not the men!)?

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Graham,

Thanks for the kind words. The tyre changers came in one of the sets made by NewRay (I think!). There is a dicast car that needs to be assembled ,various tools/equipment and two figures. Pendles have some F1 versions but mine were road cars. The work benches, gas cylinders and other bits also ended up inside the pit buildings and some can be seen in the "Red" pit in the third to last photo.

Cheers,

Philip

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"I like the track and really like the space it's in. Just a suggestion(not a criticism): You got a wall/ceiling that absolutely cries for a diorama on it. "

Thanks JW. I was thinking of painting the rear wall/ceiling in a blue sky/clouds effect (possibly aerosol can spray paint). Could help with the overall effect.

Cheers,

Philip

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Hi Philip:

I really like the look of tracks that are built using this apporach, and yours is no exception. It reminds me of the tracks that were featured in catalogs from the 1960's, and later. In addition to the well executed scenery, the track plans looks like it is a lot of fun to race on. The pit lane is a nice touch; here's to understanding wives (I have on e too)!

Thanks for sharing your track.
Brad

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Nigel.

Thanks for the posting. The pit in and out sections were made to order from Pitslot. Have a look at the following web site:

http://www.pitslot.de/4613.html

They do not have a particular part number because Erwin at Pitslot makes them to your requirements. It is expensive but looks the part and works really well.

Cheers,

Philip

·
Administrator
10,494 Posts
Hi Philip,
I was wondering how you were geting on with your loft, wow this is excellent!

Love the pit lane - too much money for me I'm afraid!
Any time you want a race, I'm on standby awaiting your call!

Riko

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Riko,

I have installed more scenery (the pit lane is now complete and concession stands are springing up) and so I shall post some more pictures soon. Maybe over the Christmas break you should come over for spin?

Keep in touch...

Philip

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hi Philip,

Really like the look of your track but I am seething with jealousy as I only have an 8x4 board to work on due to lack of loft! Yours is very much the effect I'm hoping to achieve and if I get anywhere near as good I'll be a happy slotter.

Two questions - is the Woodlands Scenic grass widely available in the UK and what section of Homebase stocks the wire mesh for the paddock?

Any chance of some more recent pics,

Yours admiringly

Dave

·
Registered
570 Posts
Great track and scenery. I like the tech sections with the long straight. How long is the straight? It's something I debated and still debate. I put a small "s" in my old startight to make it a bit more challenging. I found the cars just ripped down the straight with not much to do...

Good racing and we would love to see more stills...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.