SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Hi chaps,

Well much work got done recently, and so as to not bore those who don't know or remember Kyalami, it's the old Formula 1 Grand Prix Circuit which was in Johannesburg, South africa.

Well I'm on my way with the build process, which is made of Carrera track, and hopefully, some PRO X Lane Changers and bits..

Whole article and Pics here.
Kyalami West Beach Raceway.

More to follow as it happens.

Regards

Big Al

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
It looks like it'll make a terrific circuit with the digital bits.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance but have they turned the track around recently? I have a Kyalami on two games & they run vice versa! Which way round it yours going?

·
Registered
51 Posts
kylami has been much modified since F1 stopped racing there in 84.

F1 came back in the mid 90's, but on the modified circuit. Whether the direction had changed, I'm not sure

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Nice one Al!! keep the info flowing!!

thought about doing any elevation at Leeukop? That would be awesome.....

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys,

No mine is being built to run the correct way, clockwise as you see it on the site.

The old, original track was altered dramatically in the late 80's, early 90's to what many still regard as a terrible rendition fo the original track, little of the old track was used in this new layout, which included the back straight being the same, then through Sunset, Clubhouse and the Esses, and then up to where Leeukop used to be, it then turns left and bombs down an extremely steep downhill called the Minseshaft, and then into a mimic of the esses, and downward tot he new straight, which is a quarter of the length of the old straight.

It still provides good racing, but is not half the track the original Kyalami was...

I spent the weekend glueing down the 7cm side borders all the way round the track, and then putting a sidewall up all around the foam border. I built and printed out a dummy "cement panel wall" which I've stuck onto the wood to resemble the cenet walls. Been also seriously thinking of building a small pitlane using the standard LC's, mounted "offset" onto my track, but have realised my error by making Jukskei sweep too close the main straight.. Which leaves me no chance to put in a pitlane... Erm..

Maybe I'll rip it up and redo Jukskeui to my older design....

Will post updates as I perfoerm them guys..

Ant, No chance for elevations.. Carrera track doesn't flexx at all, so, forget it... Wanted straight hump as well, but it doesn't lie flat, and the sponge, rubber borders are not level with the track...

regards

Al

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Looks really good, Al!

Here's a picture of Jody Scheckter exiting Leeukop --

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
545 Posts
Al,

The track looks great! The size is just about perfect for what I'm looking at doing. I've been looking at long narrow tracks and I like the look of what you've done. Is it possible to post a photo of the track plan here so that I can copy and save it? I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi there,

Russell, he was MY man... Jody was sooo impressive in that Tyrrell...

Here's two maps I've done. I have a feeling I'm going to tear up my existing setup (track1) below, and put down track2, because it'll allow a fuller Pitlane.. But I hope you can see these ok..

The tracks are made up of the standard 1/60 curve, and the 2/30 curve.. Where I've put the narrow sections is where I want to put the LC's when I eventually get them. (eBay is not that easy...)

This is my existing layout...

This is what I think I'm going to do.

This will need all the side borders to come off again, and the rubber/sponge to be pulled off the wood and new strips layed around the new layout.. Ahem..
Updates will follow as I get them done.

Regards

Al

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have searched high and low and can't find much on the old track as far as elevation, landscape scenery, etc. Any help is appreciated.

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Hi there,

And believe me, you'll search forever I'm sure...

I know Russell and Ant have some Pics of various parts of the track, but I'll try cover it here.

The main straight from the Kink had a gentle climb, where it went up toward the start/Finish Line, and under the old Dunlop bridge, then went back down about the same "height" as the kink, through a small dip, and gently up hill again to Crowthorne, around Crowthorne, it dropped down quite sharply, and bottomed out in the middle of Barbeque bend, then up hill and around Jukskei Sweep. I'd say this point is lower than the lowest point of any of the previous "dips" we've mentioned already Jay.

Sunset was level, with a very gentle downhill towards Clubhouse. Clubhouse was at least 20 to 30 feet below the Kink at this point. Then level pegging towards the first left hander of the Esses, then down and around the right hander, and then a climb of note up toward Leeukop. This was a totally blind, multi-radius corner to the right up and on to the beginning on the straight, which was then level with and around the Kink, and back onto the gentle climb up toward the start/finish line and the bridge...

You can see in Russell's Pic of Schecter rounding Leeukop, you cannot see the Armco's behind him for that Corner, and he's almost out of the entire bend.. it's so steep behind him the armco's are below the track surface as you look at that Pic..
(If you made that climb for real with a track, I'd say cars would launch off the top of it with the severe curve of that whole curve..) If you enjoyed sideways cornering, this corner is where it happened..

That's about as good a description as you will get J. (Comments guys??)

Regards

Al

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hey Big Al I really like the updated design. I like trying to throw all sorts of different curves into the mix & I think that's the business. Please keep us posted. This it terrific!

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Nice description, Al. These pictures show some of the elevations:-

The start and finish line was directly opposite the pits on the main straight. You can see the Leeukop (lion's head) mound at the top right in the far distant horizon.

After the start, the long straight descended steeply into Crowthorne corner, a tricky right-hand bend.

From Crowthorne it was a short blast into Barbecue bend (right), followed by the very fast Jukskei Sweep (left).

The track then turned sharp right at Sunset Bend, a short straight to the tight left-hand Clubhouse Corner, through the Esses and then the steep climb up to Leeukop.

The long straight started as you exited Leeukop since it was mostly flat-out through the Kink.

Sadly, twice during the 1970s the track was the scene of tragedy and both incidents involved the Shadow team. In 1974 Peter Revson was killed during testing when he lost control of his Shadow, while in 1977 Welshman Tom Pryce lost his life in one of the most bizarre of all motor racing accidents.

Renzo Zorzi's Shadow had stopped at the side of the track at the end of lap 21 with a split fuel pipe, directly opposite the pits. There was a small fire and two marshals ran across the track, thinking that no one was coming since Zorzi was running at the back of the field. They were on the wrong side of the blind brow after the Kink. Suddenly Stuck and Pryce arrived at top speed, almost side-by-side. Pryce hit the second marshal, who was carrying the fire extinguisher. The marshal was killed instantly and thrown into the air; the extinguisher hit Pryce on the head, killing him instantly too.

The Shadow continued down the straight at full speed, moving gradually to the right and Laffite, who was unsure what was going on, moved alongside as the two cars approached Crowthorne. The Shadow glanced off the barriers and went straight into the Ligier, finally coming to a halt when it crashed into the barrier at Crowthorne. Fortunately, Laffite was unhurt.

Seeing as you live in Cape Town, you should really have made Killarney, though!

Kind regards

Russell

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent Russell, and wonderful pcitures chap.. Damn that does bring back such good memories...

I was actually at the GP when Pryce lost his life, and our amazing SABC TV station showed it live on TV over and over.. Pretty tasteless for that period I must add..

Actually thought of Killarney in a very serious light for a while, but the "possible boredom of the layout would probably put an end to that design in my opinion Russell, and besides, Kyalami is KYALAMI buddy, you know... the track of all tracks....

Oh, PS: Prepare for yet another change to the current circuit... It was sold lock, stock to McGregor and his Company, and rumour has it they will be changing it somewhat.. I so hope they get rid of that stupid "slow-down" kink it currently has..

Thanks again for the wonderful Pics Russell..

Regards

Al

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
By the way,

I managed to finally win an ebay auction, so i should have the LC's and bits here in a few days time...
Will then be able to finish the layour properly.. Also had some deep thoughts about changing the layout, and, all for just having some space for Pitlane, and to look a little closer tot he real thing, I've had to shelve that idea.. Plus, if I extend Barbeque out, I can't reach the start/finish line.. cof..

So, have decided to leave as is for now, and will post Pics etc as and when the new bits arrive.. Have much planned, including about 4 or 5 powertaps, mega Power supply, converting/scratch building some ninco Controllers with Diode Boards and LC switches, Remote driver stations along the four back corners, and more..

Busy month ahead..

Al

1 - 20 of 23 Posts