SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to create a layout like so but my concern is, if my car falls off the track on the top left most corner, how will I reach it from the inside of the L?

Anyone have suggestions on making the L work or on an alternate layout in similar space? Basically I am trying to tuck it away in a corner in my basement and I currently have two 4X8 sheets of plywood I want to use/

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It would be best if you could provide acess up the side or along the back. But if this is not practical, then one answer is 'lazy tongs', extendible tongs with a grabber on the end to lengthen your reach.

Oh, I am slow on the uptake - welcome to SlotForum - I see you are new here!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, well access along the back is possible I suppose...could always add casters to the whole setup so I could pull it out from the wall when racing...

As for the welcome, thank you - I've actually been lurking for a while and bookmarking all kinds of useful links I'm finding out here
Am new to slot car racgin but have oh such big plans

·
Registered
89 Posts
QUOTE I currently have two 4X8 sheets of plywood

I think you have one 4X8 and one 4X4.

I would use 2 drivers stations. One on each leg of the L (The two 8 foot sides). Adult's should be able to reach @ 4 feet, that is why I like 4 foot wide boards. A small step stool will jack you up for a little additonal reach.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
You could do a couple of things:

Use a wide radius corner in the far angle of the "L" - less likelihood of an off.

Cut out an opening in the inside angle of the "L", 12" radius or so, thus allowing for a greater reach.

In any case, you will want to avoid tight turns that may produce frequent offs in that far corner.

...and yes, welcome aboard!

·
Alan Tadd
4,038 Posts
Hi Halldorr and Welcome to the Forum.

I'm starting work on my Garden Shed layout in the Spring and it will be an L shaped layout of similar size to yours (12 x 8).

There is a problem trying to reach stranded cars on the top left hand corner and I have tried to reduce the problem by moving the bend closer to the narrowest part of the board and by reducing in width the shorter leg of the "L".

Much easier to look at than explain, so see my current thinking below. The area to the left of track in the top left corner is going to be forest so access will not be required on a regular basis.

I think my maximum "stretch" is around 3' - 3" which is not ideal but I can live with it. The real secret, of course, is not to come off at that point!.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
May I suggest running in the opposite direction.
That way even if you deslot down the back straight, you can only go straight on, but the probability is that you will come off round the corner, propelling the car towards an easier place to reach. Where as running in the proposed direction, coming off round the hairpin will propel you right into the furthest part of the corner.
Just an idea though,

Lotus

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (VOA @ 26 Jan 2004, 10:00 PM)I think you have one 4X8 and one 4X4.
Actually, I have two full 4X8 pieces but in my layout I am proposing to cut one in half because of space limitations.

I like that garden shed idea - if it didn't get so cold here I'd consider that

I think what I'm going to do is keep that L layout and put the table on casters of some sort - preferably if I can find a set of wheels that can retract.

That way, when it's time to race, i can just pull it out a foot or two from the wall.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Incidentally... Any suggestions as to where to find those 'grabber' thingies? I bought one from a shop fittings supply warehouse, and it's very heavy, and the jaws don't grip the cars that well. What is the best type/supplier, fellas?
Thanks....

·
Alan Tadd
4,038 Posts
Hi guys

Lotus :- I have considered running the track "the other way" and I agree it would lessen the reach problem, but I really wanted to include an "Alpine decent" (as per bottom left of my drawing)....still undecided.

Halldorr :- My layout has just over 54' running length, with both lanes equal.
I looked at your plan and the first thing you really got to decide is "do you really need four lanes?". It is a very tight space to run four cars in. Your layout also includes three levels which requires a lot of height to be able to achieve. Marshalling will be very difficult with lanes running beneath each other in certain areas, and also your view of the track will be restricted at certain points.
You also have a lot of Radius 1 bends which some cars, (and drivers!), find difficult. I tried to avoid their use.
Difficult decisions I know, but you need to be fairly brutal with your choices.

Howmett. A certain Inspector Gadget has just the thing your looking for, but as to cost and availability I'm not sure, you need to check with MGM.
I know NASA were looking into this very thing for one of their ex-astronauts, a certain Mr. Steve Austin, but again I'm not sure if it is currently available.

Failing the above the "Poundstreacher" shops used to carry such a device, which extended reach by about 2', but the jaw openings were limited.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
This is quite a surprise!
After some net searching, I find a million references to lazy tongs but, so far, not one actual illustration of a 'grabber' or where to buy one. Hard to believe!
Surely someone will come up with the goods eventually?

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
I've got a grabber which is v. handy for my L-shaped track, and my dodgy back. See if there's anywhere near you that sells kit for disabled people, they usually have them.

Rob

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I got an excellent grabber thingy for xmas, with rubber gripped insides to the jaws, and is a perfect size and shape to get slot cars (and adjust the tv-ariel!)

It was from a 'mobility centre', where they sell those little electric cars and stuff for disabled ppl, and it cost around £11. The only drawback was due to VAT regulations, my friend had to sign something saying i was aged and decrepid
oh well....

·
Rich Dumas
3,622 Posts
I have a couple of grabbers that I bought at a medical supply place. They have a pistol grip and a trigger that activates the gripping mechanism. The gripper is a pair of opposed rubber cups that are spring loaded so that they won't crush the object that you are trying to lift. I think EZ Reacher is the brand name for the ones that I have. My McMaster-Carr catalog lists them as "light object retrieving tongs".
They are available in different reaches, they are costly at $22 for the shortest ones. I paid $15 for mine on sale and later saw them at a Target store for about $8.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts