SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
After constructing my table about 3 months ago, I have been playing around with 100's of layouts, and I have finally decided on one.

Here are a few pictures of the progress so far.

East end of track, showing where pit lane will be (There will be more sections of pit wall for the whole length of the straight) and grandstands(when Scalextric release their new ones) in the right hand corner. I should have enough space for 6 or 7 pit buildings.

West end of track showing where there will be more grandstands along the back wall. Not sure what to do with the island in the middle yet.

Polystyrene tiles stuck in place ready for painting. Still some sanding needing done before grass matting is cut and applied.

View down main straight with drivers stations on right.

View of pit area.

View of (almost) the whole track.

Please leave your comments

Russell

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about it and decided against it for two reasons.

First, i'm not confident enough with the wood work. I would like it to remain pretty solid.

Second, It has to remain below the top edges of the table, due to a cover which fits on it.

Perhaps i'll elevate the island and have spectators sitting on it all the way round like at Knockhill.

Russell

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more before I go to bed.

I've painted a small strip of the polystyrene black to optically widen the track. I used acrylic paint (as suggested somewhere on here) which doesn't eat the polystyrene. I think it'll need another coat of paint. The inside of the corners will be painted red and white as curbs.

Russell

·
Registered
176 Posts
nice track ! will you run it exclusivly with magnets cars ? if not you may have problems I got an my "old" track, the side "wood walls" are very close to the track and cars may hurt them in the curves or coming out a curve.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is one section where there is a few 'rub' marks, but as i run mostly Mag F1s this isn't a problem.

I've also been saving up my wine corks for tire barriers (another idea from somewhere on here) for wood walls after run-off areas.

I bought some foam strips (I was originally going to use these for my borders) which i'll apply at frequently hit walls. Just got to work out a way of disguising them - maybe a big Fosters sign.

Russell

·
Registered
474 Posts
Great start, looks fantastic.

Keep us posted on your progress

The only thing i would have done differently would have been to put in some elevation changes, but as you have said space is always an issue.

Doug

·
Registered
361 Posts
Coming on nicely there.

Where did you get the polystyrene from and when you say sanding do you mean your sanding the polystyrene?

I'm onto borders etc with my track but still not sure what to use.

Look forward to seeing your track take shape

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Polystyrene is celing tiles available from B&Q. They do two sizes. The ones I got had a pattern on them so I turned them uspide down.

They are about 1mm higher than Scalextric track, so require a little sanding to make them flush. There is also a few marks from the moulding process which also require sanding. Not a big job.

The smaller of the two sizes is about £5 for 20 tiles and special glue is about £3.00 to do the 20 tiles.

Two packets will cover my whole track, so a cheeper alternative to scalextric borders

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's been a while since i did any scenery what with work and the wife, but tomorrow, i'm going to lay my grass mats!

Any suggestions as to what to use as glue? I am thinking wallpaper paste at the moment, as i tried a sample section using pva, and it was not an even surface.

Any suggestions before I go to B&Q in the morning would be a big help

Russell

·
Registered
324 Posts
Latest Pictures of Track Progression.

The whole track from west to east

Starting grid of the first Ladylands Ter Raceway. Lack of pit buildings at the moment. Hopefully Fathers Day will bring one or two of the new carerra ones.

Still to finish painting the run off areas and widen the track. Im am thinking towards a grey track, but for the moment it's staying black.

Still have to add fencing, but B&Q was out of glue for my hot gun.

My collection of F1 Cars.

I must thank martint and his SKIPSLEAT INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY whiched inspired me to creat my track.

I feel as though I am nearly finished, but as others have said, you'll never be finished. There's always something else to be done.

Russell

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Nice job Russell

It feels so much better when you get some greenery down, doesn't it? It looks like a fun track, and you've done a really neat and tidy job. But I bet you're already thinking about what else you'd like to do....!!

cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What a difference it makes to get some grass down. Now i've just got to presuade the cat to saty off it!!

Russell

·
Registered
324 Posts
I used accrylic paints from an art shop in town. about £2.00 for a small tube. I then coated it with clear to avoid scratching.

Disaster struck in the early hours of this morning. High winds and lashing rain caused the garage roof to leak - all over my reciently layed grass mats
Just as well i saved a piece to patch in.

I will eventually paint my track. I plan in using poster paint. Not sure where to get it yet thou. The idea is when it wares away, the black paint underneath will be visable, so it looks like the rubber layed down during a grand prix

Russell

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
hey Russell, that circuit has come on nicely.

i particulally like the pic of the rear ender, nice touch.

the paint idea sounds interesting?

A lake in the middle of the layout sounds like a nice addition??
even if it was'nt planned

i'm sure you've sorted it by now.
hope it did not cause too much grief/damage.

great progress, looking forward to the painted track pix.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I added some fencing today. need to go shopping tomorrow to get some more, and some grey paint to do the track. What a mess it is in with filler and black paint

The only way i've been able to sort our the leaky roof is bu putting buckets under the drips when the track is not in use. I've found out it is an asbestos roof, so i've got to be carefull how i patch it.

Russell

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.