SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a couple of resin (Team Slot) Lancia Delta S4 bodies that I'm about to start prepping, painting, finding decals, etc, etc, etc (all the stuff that will no doubt take me months longer than anticipated). I'm looking to do Alen's 1985 RAC car, and Toivonen's 86 MC winner. However, where I really need some advice on is what chassis to go for.

I've a mind to use an MSC MonteCarlo chassis but can't for the life of me find anyone that's got them in stock. Another option could be HRS. And finally there could already be a donor car out there whose chassis would be a good fit both in dimensions and performance.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Don

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Don

I have some info that may help.

I have fit a couple of HRS chassis to Rally cars and have found that the minimum width of rear axle achievable is a massive 56mm, to achieve this I used short hub wheels and ground the walls of the tyres down to the edges of the wheels. Slot it designed their chassis to use all three configurations, so even if you choose to use an inline it is no narrower. I personally would like to see them produce an inline only chassis which could be made narrower.

As for the MSC chassis, I dont have one but the inline version looks narrower. Pendles have the anglewinder version.

Good Luck

P.S. Ive just looked again. You may be able to squeeze to 55mm.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The width to the outside of the bearings on an MSC inline chassis is 31.5mm approx. so using a narrow hub wheel at 9.75mm you should be able to get a overall track width of 51mm plus 0.5mm for clearance. Using the same narrow hubs I can get 52mm minimum on an HRS inline. The MSC bearing holders are the widest part of the rear of their chassis whereas the HRS chassis is wider than the bearing holders on one side.

If it's an S4 aren't you going to want 4wd? In this case the track's going to be a lot wider. If you want the dimensions with 4WD let me know. Also what wheelbase is the S4? If they fit, the Avant Slot chassis is the narrowest I've come across. Again if you need dimensions let me know.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I used the Ninco SEAT Cordoba chassis under my Teamslot S4 and the wheelbase is perfect. I added the Ninco AWD pulleys and band, which was actually stock on the Telefonica Movistar Cordoba (50249). I think the front mount lined up and I drilled holes in the side rails of the chassis for the rear mounts?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Really really useful. I'm always so impressed by how quickly and enthusiastically people respond to my (sometimes rather novice) questions.

Slim - it sounds like the HRS chassis will just be too wide - but I'll check.

highbarn - MSC inline could be a better bet. I'll take the chassis from my 6R4 and see if it fits. Not sure of the wheelbase (another measurement to make!) but thanks for the tip about Avant Slot.

PeteN - great tip about the Ninco Seat Cordoba. This could actually be the cheapest route to take and if I get the 4WD even better

On a more general note, has anyone ever produced a list of chassis/wheelbase dimensions for different slot cars? It would be a fantastic resource when trying to match a decent chassis to a body (e.g. resin or just a plain rubbish handling car. Without a huge selection of cars to physically measure, I'm always struggling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts