SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Mark
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a teamslot lancia stratos with a rear axle that will slip. if i push the axle so the gears are hooked up properly it runs nicely, but one of the rear wheels sticks out like the fa cup handles. when the axle slips, the gears get stuck and thats going to wreck the gears, but the rear wheels are then in line. i could slip some spacers onto one side of the axle to stop it slipping side to side but then i have a lancia "crabbing" stratos
and wrecked gears.
has anyone sorted this problem out easily or will it mean trying different pinions or changing the axle and gears? don't really want to change the the standard wheels cos i think they look right for a stratos.
thanks
mark

·
Greg Gaub
14,668 Posts
I have the white kit that I'm still putting together. short story is that it's a mess, and will take a lot of work. I'm planning to replace the original pod with a slot.it pod and the original rear end with slot.it as well. In the end, this thing will have more slot.it parts than any non-slot.it car in my collection, but it won't run like carp, either. ;-)
If you can get that thing to work without replacing parts, then you deserve a medal. Mine did for a little while of testing, but soon stripped the crown gear because of how poorly made it was.

·
Mark
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i was affraid off. wanted one so i could have one of each of the rallying lancia greats, i knew of some horror stories about them. just hoped for a good un! lol will sort it eventually. just was hoping not to spend as much again putting gear into, it just make it servicable. not like i'm racing it, simply for enjoyment. the shell looks real good, but the chassis looked like it had been made with a stick lol like it wasn't finished off properly.
thanks for the info!
mark

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi
Just move the crown on the axle until the wheel are in the correct spacing.
I have 2 of the teamslot Stratos and despite the horror stories they are not that bad.
Just do the usual truing and gluing and it will be OK.
Saying that one of mine is all slot it /nsr parts as i use it in the rally class at my local club,

Wayne

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I think I replaced the rear axle and gear on mine with an old 1970s Scalextric F1 axle but kept the original wheels, it's now okay but it's a bit of a handful and it's difficult to get a good stage time out of it.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I bought a TeamSlot Stratos and I was expecting a nightmare. In the end it wasn't that bad. The wheels aren't that brilliant, but I fitted Slot.It C1s and trued them which improved things a lot. The car is too quick for its own good, but being careful with the trigger I can keep it in the slot and turn in some decent times. I guess they are a bit patchy........

Now, on the other hand, the TeamSlot Celica was a nightmare.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Bummer, I just ordered this kit, yet to received, I want to build a Stratos road car.
If the car is to fast, did you do weight and/or magnets?

ncng

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
QUOTE (ncng @ 13 May 2012, 02:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If the car is to fast, did you do weight and/or magnets?It comes with a magnet. Unusually for my rally cars, I've left it in.
It will drift with the mag in place, but the line between drift and de-slot is very fine. I suspect that without the mag I'd never get a complete lap out of it. IMO a lower-power motor, as Julian says, is the ultimate answer but I haven't got that far yet. Too many cars, not enough time.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
QUOTE (McCrash @ 13 May 2012, 00:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i've got a teamslot lancia stratos with a rear axle that will slip. if i push the axle so the gears are hooked up properly it runs nicely, but one of the rear wheels sticks out like the fa cup handles. when the axle slips, the gears get stuck and thats going to wreck the gears, but the rear wheels are then in line. i could slip some spacers onto one side of the axle to stop it slipping side to side but then i have a lancia "crabbing" stratos
and wrecked gears.
has anyone sorted this problem out easily or will it mean trying different pinions or changing the axle and gears? don't really want to change the the standard wheels cos i think they look right for a stratos.
thanks
mark

So I may understand. I'm looking at this

You can shim the axle but then it is off centre?
If the wheels are wider than the body don't you need to cut down the axle so you can center the axle with the wheels the correct width.

If you use Chuppa Chup sticks you don't need to remove both wheels.

If the gear is incorrectly aligned don't you need to move it?

Maybe I'm just having a dumb day

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Been contemplating the TS Stratos kit for ages. Unlike many others I like their Celica (with a few changes like Slot.it rear end and NC2 motor)

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I bought a white kit and found both the build and car a nice runner if you change the tyres. The engine is overpowered I agree but I dial back the voltage. Does ayone know of a urethane tyre that fits this car's stock wheels? A friend gave me some home-mades but they are slightly to small.

When you build them you have to be careful of the windscreen. Only three little pins hold and I found it quite fragile.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Motor - probably a NC2 but an NC5 might be controllable - ScaleAuto do a good range of motors that are cheaper than Ninco motors. What I've done to get an NC-5 is buy a Ninco Acura off EBay for £22 and swapped the motors over, the Acura is a little underpowered with the NC5.
Rear axle is tricky because space for the gear is tight, but a Scalextric F1 axle fits
Wheels - any alloy 15x8 wheels with Ninco Porsche 911 rear tyres (20x11)

Sadly all this lot adds quite a bit of cost to the car, but the Team Slot motor is a very good motor for LMP and GT cars just a bit over powered for rally cars, this seems to be quite common with Spanish manufactured rally cars as I've just swapped the motor in my Avant Slot Manta for an NC5 and it's a lot more controllable, maybe the Spanish Slot rally stages have longer straights than UK ones.

·
Mark
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the replies, plenty of ideas and pointers to what i'm going to have to do. in the mean time i found a spare 11tooth pinion fron my scaley impala pro kit and the gears feel ok turning them by hand. with the pinion being a tad bigger its stopped the axle moving left and right too. another bonus is the back axle is only slightly out of line
so hopefully she'll be fine. if not then i know what i need to do....... go shopping for new back axle etc lol
thanks for replies!
mark

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 13 May 2012, 19:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>with Ninco Porsche 911 rear tyres (20x11)

Off Topic but I like these tyres a lot.
If they are the same as on the 934.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
They are the same as most of the 934s (I've got 3 of them) but the Martini colours 934 has different rear wheels with different size tyre, and yes they are good tyres - I use them on Can Am cars and 1970s F1s, they have the added bonus of being quite cheap. The Ninco 19x10 tyres are good as well.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 14 May 2012, 14:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>but the Martini colours 934 has different rear wheels with different size tyre, and yes they are good tyres -

OK I'v got the Martini road version with black wheels not the Martini rally version with white wheels. It has slicks not ribbed like the rally car. Is there a different part number or code for these slick tyres as opposed to the normal 934 tyres?

BTW:I took the fronts off and use them on the rear of my Sloter / MB slot white kit Lola

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
That's the one with different tyres to the other 934s, I don't know the part no. or size but that one is the best handling of the 934s.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts