SlotForum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Truing was the biggest job for me. And I mean the wheels before I put the tyres back on. Ortmann's on the back (i'd now try Wasp tyres) and it goes like it should - overpowered and likely to snap round at any time. Look at when they drove a replica/kit on Top Gear - these were not easy cars to drive...

I too don't understand why you didn't just slide the crown wheel along the axle a bit to mean that the mesh and wheel alignment happened at the same point and then just add spacers to hold it in place...

· Mark
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
V8Vantage - i don't have the proper tools for the job and i couldn't think of any way to move the crown gear without damaging it. the way the crown gear was on i didn't think i'd be able to move it. any idea's how to move it would be greatfully recieved!

ncng - hope all goes well with ur kit! atleast you'll be upto speed with any fixes u may need to do before u build it lol

· Registered
1,026 Posts
A Ninco pinion press is what I tend to use to move push-fit crown gears too, although I have also used my MB Slot press to do the same thing. The MB Slot press is more awkward for longer axles (but much better for motor pinions...).

As regards the tyres, I can't remember exactly which size, but If you go to www.waspslot.co.uk and check the link for tyre sizes, you'll find out what you have to measure on the wheel to get a good fit. The official supplier is also linked from that site.

I've always found Colin at RS Slot Racing very helpful when it comes to questions about Ortmann replacements for stock tyres too.

· Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for all your suggestions,

I ordered the ScaleAuto SC-0011 motor, I'll use the other for and F1 car,

I have tons gearing option with all my parts, I'll paint body this weekend
and begin, also building 92 f1 Footwork this week and finish this weekend,

Thanks,

NCNG

· Mark
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
hello!
i had a go at moving the crown gear, it broke
it was proper stuck and the axle had the criss cross (forget what its called) section in the middle. fortunatly i found a old spare fly rear axle with a stripped crown gear on it. took the old crown off and put an old scalextric crown on that i robbed from an old f1 car and all seems good for now!
so much for keeping the right looking rims! lol
thanks for all idea's!
mark

ncng- look forward to seeing the 92 footwork! 92 and 93 were really good years of f1 i remember as a young un lol

· Registered
3,267 Posts
QUOTE (McCrash @ 15 May 2012, 20:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>V8Vantage - i don't have the proper tools for the job and i couldn't think of any way to move the crown gear without damaging it. the way the crown gear was on i didn't think i'd be able to move it. any idea's how to move it would be greatfully recieved!

ncng - hope all goes well with ur kit! atleast you'll be upto speed with any fixes u may need to do before u build it lol

Sorry I'm too late

Something like vicegrips or a vice to hold the axle or a piece of wood with a hole in and a hammer. Or pliers in a vice sometimes works.
Knurling is the word you are looking for and with knurled axles it as you have discovered is very difficult.
It's a pain when one breaks something and I should know.

· Mark
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
aye, thats the word, knurled! lol it doesn't help having the jeremy clarkson tool kit that consists of a hammer and thats it lol i didn't think it would budge but i took my chances and failed lol

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.