SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've been working on this for months but at last I have my Discovery series 2, with it's own modifications mated to a Ninco Bowler raid chassis.

I've driven it round the track and all works well. It even fits easily under both bridges.

I now have the even longer job of cleaning it up and smoothing away all those print lines!

·
Registered
363 Posts
... I nearly forgot, here's a reference photo to show what it will eventually look like:

The real car now has a roof rack, which I hope I can add eventually:

·
Circuit Owner
5,923 Posts
Fabulous job

Looks like it it printed in PLA. If so it will be very brittle and I would be worried about the very thin pillars. You could consider epoxying some reinforcing wire up the inside of the pillars to give it a little strength just in case one of your hill descents gets out of control

The copper earth wire in lighting cables is about the right thickness and it's malleable but rigid enough to add strength.

It would be a shame to damage such a nice model and it would equally be a shame to feel you have to hold back on testing its limits.

Expect lots of PMs asking for a copy...

By the way - what specific model printer did you use?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used PLA/PHA from ColorFabb. It has more strength than just PLA but I agree the thin pillars are vulnerable. Thanks for the tips.
I plan to use a thin layer of Milliput to help smooth out the print lines and I hope that will add a bit of strength as well.

The print needs a few tweeks to better fit the chassis. Once I have it perfected I'll happily share the model.

I have an Ultimaker 2.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vac form clear PETG.

I plan to print the mold to fit and smooth it. That bit is yet to be tested

The headlamp glass will also be vac formed.

·
Registered
363 Posts
QUOTE (choc-ice @ 11 Aug 2015, 17:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... I like the fact you've put an appropriate chassis underneath it.
I am not surprised you appreciate the chassis.

Thank you for the encouragement. I already have another Land Rover planned in my head.

I tried to do a video but my phone struggles. As you have done so many fun takes, any tips?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
an awesome and ambitious project that is coming together beautifully. I'm surprised you neglected to have an opening bonnet though...after all , that's the usual pose for a land rover!!

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I use my old cameraphone for most shots, it's got a slow-mo setting which I then speed up a little in editing.

For the in car filming I use an 808 keychain camera, they're about £18 on ebay, I think mine is a #16 (it's like the version of the camera). Make sure you get an SD card that's high speed so the camera can write to it easily.

What's your next one? I had a real 109 Stage 1 V8 a few years ago and last year I got a 110 County station wagon 200 Tdi. I'd have another in a heartbeat if they weren't so expensive!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (gordonzz @ 11 Aug 2015, 18:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... I'm surprised you neglected to have an opening bonnet though...after all , that's the usual pose for a land rover!!

I bet you thought you were being clever

Two can play at that game

I printed it as separate parts to minimise the amount of support structure I needed.
I haven't stuck the bonnet down yet, so I was able to pose the above photo, just for you

·
Registered
363 Posts
QUOTE (choc-ice @ 11 Aug 2015, 19:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I use my old cameraphone ...
Thanks for the tips. I used the default settings, I might fiddle and see if I can get something usable from my phone. Failing that I may just buy your suggestion at only £18 I can't go wrong.

QUOTE (choc-ice @ 11 Aug 2015, 19:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What's your next one? ... last year I got a 110 County station wagon 200 Tdi. I'd have another in a heartbeat if they weren't so expensive!
If it's not obvious I'm a bit of a Landy fan, so there is no alternative for me. They are surprisingly low cost to run because of all the after-market spares. That is spoilt a bit if you suck in water while wading and bend two con rods!

I have a lot of work yet to finish my slot car Discovery but the plan for the next one is to make a copy of my friends Defender 90, Joe:

I am hoping he settles on a new colour before I get round to painting it, otherwise it will be the mixed blue and red in the photo.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
QUOTE (JCB @ 11 Aug 2015, 19:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bet you thought you were being clever

Two can play at that game

I printed it as separate parts to minimise the amount of support structure I needed.
I haven't stuck the bonnet down yet, so I was able to pose the above photo, just for you

awww bless , you did that just for little ol' me?!
all it needs now is a driver figure leaning in , scratching his "nylocs" trying to figure out what went twang in true "Solihull bonnets up club" style!

(I am allowed to extract the wee as I have owned three of the things ('54 s11 , '72 lightweight air transportable & a '76 s111 diesel)...and a classic range rover over the years)

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
aside from joshing with you , have you thought about a coat of high build primer to help smooth the shell out? I'd mask off the finer details first though.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm impressed by how many Landies you've had.
Before I bought my first one someone said to me, "do I like driving them or repairing them?"
That's why I've had three Discoveries so far and no vintage series vehicles.

I thought about the thick primer but I've never used it so was not sure how suitable it would be.
I'll have to get some and try it out.

Will any make do or can you suggest one?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
not used any for years but I would think any hairysole high build would be ok?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've ordered some High Build primer. I hope it arrives by the weekend, I'm keen to try it out.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
if it works it was a fabulous idea , if it doesn't it was only a suggestion....
. I'd almost be tempted to mask off alternate panels , including over shut lines , to save obliterating too much details , then once dry do the next lot , assuming you have time or patience to do so? other than that you may have to scribe them in again? hope it goes well.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do have the patience.

Thanks for the tips. I was going to try to get a bit of paper in the shut lines but masking alternate panels is a much more reliable solution.

The advantage with having printed it myself is if it goes wrong I can print another and try again

·
Slot King
2,684 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use a spray, it goes everywhere and is tricky to control.
I have tried filler primer and was not impressed with the results.
The key here is to fill the grooves, and only the ones you want.
I would first try a fairly runny putty of some sort and spread it with a spatula (a bit like a plasterer would fill a crack in a wall).
Diluted modelling putty (whatever brand you have) or look for something water soluble in a craft shop/website.
Easy to control where you place it, and easy to sand.

It's a nice body, having come this far, it would be a shame to spoil it.

Joel

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.