SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Regarding the enquiry about Paint Pens for marking track in lane colours ... I think it was Lee that asked

I use Tetrosyl Paint Pens, obtained from the Burton-on-Trent branch of Motormania (www.motormania.co.uk) in the following colours (@ £3.99 per pen):

Part Number = Lane Colour
PPE001 = Yellow
PPE009 = Green

PPE006 = Red
PPE017 = Bright Blue

and just for the EAHORC people (and Tony)

PPE015 = White

A quick Google search found some sites where these can be ordered online.

Alternatively, I am going to BonT this weekend, and intend on obtaining a white pen, so will be able to lend a set of pens to club members wishing to mark up their own track.

Also, I recommend you only mark up the straights as these can be used either way round. If you decide to mark curves, you will need twice as many of them, because the lane colours reverse for RH curves compared to LH curves. Generally its best not to mark up your entire curve collection

Hope that helps.

Keep it in the Slot ... ROY

·
Registered
648 Posts
Roy, thank you very much for that information I shall order some over the weekend. On a different topic I have aquired a few sheets of Yellow, Blue and Red coloured dots from work and the wife is going to see if she can aquire some more once she is back to work.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Roy,

Just to be clear the use of white (not green) is not particularly an EAHORC thing. I know you have this thing that if dhorc do it, it must be right, but by an large people find what works best for them. There are a few obvious things, don't use green and yellow near each other unless they are both vibrant shades, thin lines look better than fat dabs, continuous lines look really good but as we have covered compromise what corners can be used for, it is possible to go too bright, and so on.

A lot of the clubs that host national rounds do use the same colours and the same sequence, but only because it makes it easier to pool track (and incorporate the BSTS) on those occasions. MBR use green, and NSR use the colours in a different order to the others. HONK will use green and white!

When I plumb in the EAHORC gear it does not bother me what the colours are. A few seconds on two laptops and find the right coalescent rotation sign, job done. Now, if I was changing stickers over on Tomy timers, that would be a pain, it always used to worry me I would damage the big decal.

Incidentally, if anyone is looking for dots it might be worth dropping a PM to Woodcote. He has a source for 6mm ones, which look really good and are great for putting on the cars too. All the other dots are 8mm, which for F1s especially can be a bit much. The 6mms will fit between the slot and the rail on the track, which will do the job but look more subtle. EAHORC will be using the 6mms from the start of the next season.

You can get 5mm dots, but these are done as one square sheet with the circles partially stamped out and are a pain to work with.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh and the other reason for using "Green" is that Staples do nice and cheap packs of "stickers" in assorted colours (Red, Green, Blue and Yellow), either round ones, or small oblong stickers. These packs supply all the colours I need and are readily available.

Item Number WW-394596, Staples Self Adhesive Label: Coloured (8mm) Circle @ £3.49

Item Number WW-394598, Staples Labels 10mm x 15mm 1280 Packs @ £3.49
These fit nicely on the top of a Tyco F1 wing, particularly the Chapparal and Indy Tyco bodies.

Personally I find the 5mm and 6mm dots too small (although they detract less from the appearance of the cars).

I prefer the lane sticker to stand out more, which makes it easier for the track marshals.

btw, the oblong sticker picture is not quite the right one, same shape and colour, wrong size. The Item number and description is correct.

·
Registered
648 Posts
QUOTE (Spiritlodger @ 3 Jun 2011, 02:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Regarding the enquiry about Paint Pens for marking track in lane colours ... I think it was Lee that asked

I use Tetrosyl Paint Pens, obtained from the Burton-on-Trent branch of Motormania (www.motormania.co.uk) in the following colours (@ £3.99 per pen):

Part Number = Lane Colour
PPE001 = Yellow
PPE009 = Green

PPE006 = Red
PPE017 = Bright Blue

and just for the EAHORC people (and Tony)

PPE015 = White

A quick Google search found some sites where these can be ordered online.

Alternatively, I am going to BonT this weekend, and intend on obtaining a white pen, so will be able to lend a set of pens to club members wishing to mark up their own track.

Also, I recommend you only mark up the straights as these can be used either way round. If you decide to mark curves, you will need twice as many of them, because the lane colours reverse for RH curves compared to LH curves. Generally its best not to mark up your entire curve collection

Hope that helps.

Morning Roy,

I ordered some of those paint pens from Motormania they have now changing their supplier and these new paint pens will be brush and not felt tip pen type. Here did reply to another of my emails stating that the only colours (Similiar to what we use) he does noew have in stock are listed below:

Lee,

The Fluorescent Yellow we have 50 in stock, the Fluorescent Green we have just 10 and the Bright Blue 16. Let me know how many you would like.

Regards

Andrew Meredith
Richard C Hartley Ltd

Hope this helps, I may order 1 of each to see what they are like?

Lee

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Lee - between Tony, myself and one or two others we probably have enough of the four colours you will have seen in use on SCHORC nights to sort you out.

·
Registered
648 Posts
montoya1 thank you very much, I will speak to my fellow SCHORC guild members
when I next see them.

Thanks again.

Lee

·
Registered
648 Posts
Montoya1 - If you could that would be fantastic, would you need any money in return? Thank you, very kind.

Lee

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Lee - the pens are 'started' and I don't know what is left in them. You are welcome to use them since they have long since paid for themselves so to speak.

Your only 'fee' is to be open to coming to an EAHORC meeting some day!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Cool, I will speak with Tony at the next meet and get some dates, really want to brush up on my racing before making a buffoon of myself
. but yes would gladly like to come along.

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
That is cool Lee. I would suggest you speak to Jim and Al, who have both stepped up to the weekend racing and seem to like it. Paul and Craig did the same before them and now contend for Championships.

If you click on my sig, you can find all the EAHORC dates on eahorc.com, and a lot more besides.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Morning all, I have been looking for ages for some pens for my track and I came across this web-site http://www.paint-markers.co.uk/-c-8627_8631.html

These were £2.94 inc VAT.

They mark the track extremely well and are a decent price in my eyes. I ordered them Tuesday evening and received them Thursday.

I chose:

Markal Pro Line HP Paint Marker - Light Blue
Markal Pro Line HP Paint Marker - Light Green
Markal Pro Line HP Paint Marker - Yellow

I will definately be useing these for any repinishment, I will post some pictures shortly of my new track layout and you can see for yourself.

Lee

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Are these round or chisel tipped?
How are they for making consistent width lines?

Thanks!
Cheers!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hiya Sealevel

They are round tipped and are very good at keeping a constant line (width) after a few pieces of track. I found that if you bed the side of the pen against one of the edges and then apply to the other side this makes a decent job

The only query I would have is the light green comes up as a Mint /light green, so fellow slotters may wish to try the Green.

Hope this helps.

Lee

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. Lane markings are something of a personal thing, so it's about finding what works for you.

Before we starting using pens, the method amongst the clubs was to either use dawbs of paint (which always looks a bit 'that'll do' to me), decal dots or pinstripping. I like the last option initially, but over time I came to find them a little to garish.

With the pens it is possible to use subtle colours and apply thinkly so the track bleeds through, or go bright and fully covered. It's all good.

You list three colours, what did you use as the fourth one?

·
Registered
648 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 9 Jul 2011, 17:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Glad it worked out for you. Lane markings are something of a personal thing, so it's about finding what works for you.

Before we starting using pens, the method amongst the clubs was to either use dawbs of paint (which always looks a bit 'that'll do' to me), decal dots or pinstripping. I like the last option initially, but over time I came to find them a little to garish.

With the pens it is possible to use subtle colours and apply thinkly so the track bleeds through, or go bright and fully covered. It's all good.

You list three colours, what did you use as the fourth one?

I had a Red pen already, but for future use I will purchase one from the online shop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts