Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I'm new to scalextric digital and I'm planning on buying some parts and convert my sports track.
But when I started to look for a good place to buy the parts from I ran across a page that said this:

" IMPORTANT NOTE: Corner lanechangers C7007 to C7010 are being discontinued at the end of 2011. No idea if a replacement model is being developed. In the meantime, these are the last of these we have. Once these are sold out, we can't order any more."

So now l'm a bit confused and would like some advice, should i go for just straight lanechanges and wait and see when and if a replacement comes along, or buy a few corners while they are still around?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Personally I'd stick to the straight lane changes (XLC), I have only got the one CLC in my layout which is a LH in to out. I purchased this and the straight changer when I first started out with digital without knowing much about them. The problem I have with the CLC is that in analogue mode using the 6 car APB the cars deslot quite often in the inside lane to to there being such a large gap in the slot where the lane change mechanism is. This being said I probably wouldn't mind another couple in the layout, you just have to know when to back off a bit coming up to the changer. You will find that people either love them or hate them.

Matt

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
unless you are stuggling to fit the xlc into your layout i would give the clc a miss.

If you are sure you would like to use them drop me a pm as i have a couple spare going cheap.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
yes they are available at budgieT price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Only got one corner lane changer but if I were to buy more I'd put my money in the straight lane changers. I find the corner lane changer can un-settle the cars more than you'd think - maybe just me......

·
Registered
331 Posts
buy two and make a chicane or ignore and go all xlc

scaly probably can't figure out how to cut them for analog use

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Smart move. I have 8 curve lane changers but didn't use any of them when I did the Gaydon track. XLCs are much better. Make sure you get the latest version that has bigger gaps for the rails at crossovers, else you will need to paint the rails to insulate them. I did a thread on this some while back - "DPR: the solution"

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
I have three, not used often unlike straights.

Hopefully they will release full cross over corners of s bend corners, honestly is about time we had some new track from Scalextric!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
BUT CLCs are very useful for doing a racing line on a chicane, right?

Cheers!

QUOTE (shaunbmx @ 28 Jan 2007, 00:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If this one doesn't get you in the mood for cutting some track nothing will.

Its real easy and you can use with a standard Half straight sensor track. No placing solenoids, flippers or sensor boards.

This takes around an hour to complete, compared with all my other Racing Line Transplants which have taken at the least 5 - 8 hours each.

1. Take a CLC, remove the rails and cut in half like this.

2. Then take another and do the same.

3. Then place parts from the two 'different' CLC's together.
You have just made not one but 2 Racing Line Chicanes like this.

Use solder Iron to melt/tack track on the back then Glue together on the back with either epoxy resin which will set hard.

Or i have been using the hot glue gun to stick some track, i have a large one which gets real hot and it sticks to track amazing.

Shaunbmx

I just noticed the second one (the one i didn't use) goes OUTSIDE -to- OUTSIDE through the chicane not INSIDE -to- INSIDE.

Still may be of some use in the future.

Shaunbmx

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
QUOTE (Janitor @ 17 Nov 2011, 01:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi.
I'm new to scalextric digital and I'm planning on buying some parts and convert my sports track.
But when I started to look for a good place to buy the parts from I ran across a page that said this:

" IMPORTANT NOTE: Corner lanechangers C7007 to C7010 are being discontinued at the end of 2011. No idea if a replacement model is being developed. In the meantime, these are the last of these we have. Once these are sold out, we can't order any more."

So now l'm a bit confused and would like some advice, should i go for just straight lanechanges and wait and see when and if a replacement comes along, or buy a few corners while they are still around?

Just to followup on this info...

I found the source at the Cheddar Gorge Slot Car Centre (link)

I also contacted them to ask why they said this and Martin replied:

"From Hornby themselves, C7007-10 are no longer on the list of items to order. However maybe they have an alternative model number lined up for the New Year, because these were incompatible with the C7042 power base in analogue mode, unless modified.
Hope this helps clarify, had you heard something different maybe?
Regards
Martin"

I then noted that Scalextric.com shows the CLCs on "notification" basis but the XLC was not and that some SF members would like to see a double CLC.
Martin replied:

"The c7036 is due back in stock this month so no worries there, yes perhaps a double corner lanechanger is in the offing, but if this were a new product for 2012 they won't release any info till January anyway. But the c7007-10s are definitely history according to my sales rep.
Cheers
Martin"

I also have an email waiting for a reply from Scalextric but have had no reply yet.

Does anyone else have some inside info about the demise of the CLC?

Cheers!

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
sorry i dont know either.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
OK, official line. They have experienced poor sales on the CLCs for a while so this will not be a product that they going to offer next year. They may reconsider this in the future depending on demand. No CXLC in the wings.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Hi All,
I remember (but can't find) a topic posted earlier in the year about someone who had made a X-CLC, using a curved lane swap and CLC.
It was posted a week or so before Gaydon (so early May 2011) by someone who I recall had been a member for quite a while, but had very few posts. I thought that their forum name/location suggested (to my suspicious mind) a possible link to the Margate Factory.
I wondered at the time if it was a way of gauging opinion before production started, or maybe generating interest for a surprise X-CLC launch at Gaydon.
Anyway I've had a hunt for the thread, but can't locate it.
Maybe someone else can find it, because if the CLC is going out of production (with discounted stock) and Hornby don't do a X-CLC then a home made one could be useful.
Cheers,
Richard

·
Greg Gaub
14,638 Posts
I remember that one... of course not the tread title though.

I think he actually used two opposing CLC tracks, cut them into four pieces each so that the parts could be shuffled together, and used the very center plastic crossing bit from a racing line curve to help with the crossover part of the XCLC. It was exceptionally well done.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
It was nice, but it wasn't a Scalextric ruse to gauge opinion. You have to send suggestions to their marketing department, they won't ever find that thread if we can't...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts