Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Scaley C8215 lap counter which works fine, but I am interested in something with more functionality, total race time, greater accuracy (than 10th sec) etc etc. Any suggestions, I would prefer not to use RMS as I don't want to have to have PC near track

Thanx

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
On my own circuit I use the now unobtainable Exin "Computer II", but maybe after a lengthy search you could find one. I highly recommend one as they are simple to use and go down to 100ths of a second. I use to have the old scalextric "Think Tank", but after I got through 2 of them in 3 years I purchased the above and it has been faultless since 1998.

M

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can't recommend the DS lap counters highly enough. Since treating myself last year I have had no missed laps and total satisfaction (in the lap counting department!)

Frosty

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanx guys, the DS Electronics model certainly would do what I require but it is very pricey (though maybe not for what you are getting) I think I will hold off and give RMS a shot, I will just have to relocate PC to be nearer the track, if that does not do I will seriously consider the DS option, in the meantime I will do a few searchs for the Exin Computer II and see what that turns up.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Hi Slot_d

Again I can't recommend the DS stuff more highly, but agree it's a little costly.

An alternative maybe Ninco?

Ninco sell two types of lap counter, timer, fastest lap devices, I think the better of the two is call Pole Position?.

Buy a Ninco to Scalextric track adaptor and pop in the timer. It's optical so doesn't try to rip the guide flag (or pin) off your older cars. Seem to recall a problem with blue colored guide flags.

It also play the national anthem of the winner (if you choice).

I looked at all the alternatives and decided on a DS system, because I didn't want a PC to control it. They sell light bridge and dead strip versions. Also you will need to buy a power transformer for the DS system as for some daft reason they don't come with one??

Good luck.

Gareth
NSCC

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think that the DS system is the best investment you can make for your track. If you change of brand you can keep your timing device.
I use ds for my Ninco and Sport tracks.
Ninco's Pole Position is good, but I prefer a lap counter with infra red lights. The lights do not miss any car.

Jan Willem
www.SlotcarAcademy.com

·
Rich Dumas
3,533 Posts
I use a TrikTrax counter/timer with a dead strip. The unit has a large LED display and goes down to 1/1000 second. It toggles between timing and counting laps. There is a built in minimum time to prevent false counts and mine has the optional remote reset feature. A four lane TrikTrax is about $285. There are other models that can do six or eight lanes, or display lap times and laps at the same time. The TrikTrax website is down, but Wizzard has them in stock.

·
Phil B.
3,741 Posts
On the Aberstone rally track we had loads of trouble with the Scalextric timer so we converted a Ninco one, its just a case of removing the sensors, shortening the circuit board and fitting under a piece of scalextric track and hot glue in place.
It works perfectly and does everything you could ever want. Highly recommended. Cheers - Phil Barry.

·
Registered
320 Posts
QUOTE (Aberstone @ 17 Jan 2004, 03:58 PM)On the Aberstone rally track ...
Hi Aberstone ! Is it possible to see some pictures of your rally track (I'm looking for exemples before building mine
)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Guys

Thanx for all the information, I have finally come down in favour of the the DS Electronics model, now all I have to do is stay away from ebay long enough to get teh money together!! That will take a bit of time

Thanx again!

·
Phil B.
3,741 Posts
Sorry I don`t have one of those new fangled digital cameras but maybe in a few weeks I can get some one to do it for me.
The track is built on an 8x4 sheet of Kingspan (the insulation foam board with reflective foil on both sides) with 4mm ply Evostuck to it, plexytrack lightly screwed to the ply and its cut into three sections for transportation.
We have a forestry section with three crossovers, a rough section,wet section and logging area, logpiles made from last years Christmas tree! Cork tiles are used for the trackside terrain, once stuck down they can be attacked with a wire brush in an electric drill to create ditches and layered to make banks and finished of with a mixture of paint and sawdust stippled on. PVA glue dries clear and makes great puddles of water.
We have an Alpine section made from layers of kingspan which raises the track up to 5 inches were it goes through a short tunnel along a rock face with ice and snow before a downhill chicane through a rock slide to a scandinavian snowy section (I`m still looking for a wooden hut to finish this bit off) past a frozen waterfall made from hot glue shaped before it cools down.
There are two river crossings with the pick up rails dabbed with paint to cause the cars to stall or stutter going through the water, we used oil based paint to make them nice and slippery.
I was given a set of tyres from an R/C truck they make a good chicane at a crossover on the tarmac section as seen on airfield stages and as they are screwed to the track can be adjusted in and out to catch out the Peugeot 205`s.
Track wiring is concealed underneath simply by cutting a V slot in the Kingspan and replacing the V and taping over with with good old duct tape.
The three sections are held together with bolts, wing nuts and metal plates from a DIY and electrics connected to each section with cheap and cheerfull RS plastic plug in connectors.
I hav`nt measured the track length but a good lap time using SCX rally cars sans magnet is in around 19 seconds.
Trees and marshals are added each time the track is put up and are slotted into small brass tubes sunk into the cork, it makes the track easier to transport.
I hope the discription helps a bit, good luck with yours- Cheers - Phil Barry.

·
Phil B.
3,741 Posts
Fred - If you want some ideas on rallytracks and others have a look at www.oldslotracer.com they are all routed tracks but well worth a look for lay outs and scenery. There are some good video clips too. They have a good rally track, they call it a hillclimb, thats what prompted me to build our rally track.
Cheers - Phil.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thank you Phil

Every slotcar fan should know this wonderfull website !
Have to say that even if I'll probably never (never say never Fred
) go for a routed track, I really like spending (and not wasting !) time looking at both Luf's website and Routed Track Scale Racing on SCI Forums ...

Fred

1 - 17 of 17 Posts