SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have decided to change of to Carrera but am unsure what is the best way to go with laptiming.

I currently have been using Scalextrix setup with the RMS system and I think that software is ok.

Carrera do not appear to do a similar product and I can find few real details about their battery operated gantry timer but Im pretty sure it cant be hooked up to a pc - apart from that does anyone have an experience with that?

OR ... do I spend some money I dont have a get a DS system (info seems hard to find on this also)

OR ... do I get myself in serious domestic hell and get a pc and go for a PC based system

TIA

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hi,

If you don't want a PC based laptimer the Carrera electronical lap counter 71590 is a good choice. It counts up to 999 laps or up to 99min and has a starting light with sound.

But Carrera have also a RMS which can be connected to a PC. There are three units:

• Main Unit containing a lap timer and two hand throttles
• Extension Unit for 4-8 cars
• PC Unit for connection to a PC

Hope it helps

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hi Rob,

No, it's not discontinued. The RMS used to have a mechanical mechanism for the counter which didn't always show the right time or the right number of laps. Carrera have changed this mechanism to an infrared solution which is much smarter. The new RMS should be available in October.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rob,

I'm using Carrera track and the DS system and I find it to be an excellent combination. I bought the DS light bridge to connect the timer to the track. All you have to do is to drill two holes in the bottom of the track for the lights. The whole process took about 5 minutes. I highly recommend the combination.

Jim

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hi Matevz,

the only way I know ist to bring your RMS (only Unit 1) back to your dealer provided that you have a valid guarantee card. The RMS will be send to Carrera/Nikko and sometimes later you'll get the new RMS.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
610 Posts
QUOTE (RobFitz @ 20 Aug 2004, 10:34)Hi Seth

Thanks for the reply - I have a 2004 carrera catalogue but there is no mention of the RMS system - is it discontinued ?
Hello,

looks like the Carrera RMS is not available everywhere... in the 2004 German catalogue you can find it on page 52.
But in the U.S. catalogue, it is not mentioned.

Chris

·
Registered
721 Posts
Ok I think that he does because he's out of Canada anyway. Let me try to hook you up. His name is Brent and he does these one at a time. What has made them so popular is that he supports them 100% and will move mountains to make sure they work flawless once installed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
QUOTE Agreed Dennis, the system looks great, but the guy didn't reply to my e-mail. Perhaps he is not interested in supplying outside of the US?.

Sorry BEEJAY7 I must have missed your e-mail. I was having server troubles a couples of weeks ago and just recently I installed some software patches. I have shipped to our good friends down under and I have been in communication with a fellow in South Africa. I will ship to anywhere in the world that Canada Post ships and I think that is just about everywhere.
my e-mail is: [email protected]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Of course shipping is going to be a little more expensive but that is what we will have to deal with. To get around the different power issue I include a SMALL computer power supply that measures LxWxH 6x4x4 and it is switchable between 110 and 220. Unfortunately I do not have a power cord that works in Europe but they are not expensive, probably 5.00CAD.

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Thanks Guys.

Brent I will send you an e-mail this evening, as I am almost ready to start work on my layout and would need to build your system in at an early stage.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have been looking into the options a lot over the last few days and am now more confused than ever

Luckily when I mentioned what I was doing to my brother he donated me a PC
which is good as now I have more things to confuse me - now all I need to decide on is some software and timing hardware.

I downloaded lap timer 2000 and have ordered the bits to make a sensor/gantry setup but the software although very nice looking seems quite basic.

I really liked the look of SlotMan but cannot get a reply from the hardware guys at RaceControl

I like the idea of fuel stops too

My head hurts now - any software suggestions please ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts