SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

I experimented with Lap timer on slotcars.
Will anyone recommend a working mobile app to track time?
I tried about 10 applications. The result was unsatisfactory.
I made a video about two applications

(LapTrax, LapTracker, Race Coordinator)
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did tutorial on how to build and set a lap timer on slotcar. I tried to do it so that my wife could understand it too :) The first two videos are about construction and installation. The third video is a comparison of different Lap timers.

Totorial construction
Totorial software installation
Comparison of lap timers

·
Registered
865 Posts
its not hard, and it looks vastly better, if you put the LED & Phototransistors under the track and use them to spot the guide blade passing - means a small cut in the rails.

there is a thread on the Scalextric Digital part of the forum about doing this - workings with digital but also perfectly serviceable with analogue - reporting the lane number in place of the car ID.

removes the need for the overhead gantry and using IR LEDs below the track seriously cuts out issues with stray lighting

I built the thing to function as a lap counter & timer to allow for multiple lanes, can provide the lap time, best lap time overall, best individual time, time to the car in front, time to the leader (obviously needs 3+ lanes for that to use useful) and swaps the display order to be the race order, along with managing some basic race features like a lights count down, race laps & time for normal or endurance racing.

the hardware is Arduino based and vanishingly simple (each lane for analogue would be an IR LED, Phototransistor and a pair of resistors - ideally a single IC providing schmitt triggers but these are not specifically required) - as written it doesn't use interrupts so can manage multiple lanes on a basic Arduino Uno or Nano (or pro mini if you want seriously small) - its currently assembled around a mega so as to have the lines for the display board but there are many options for doing that (or feed to a PC)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,
I finally managed to get LapTrax up and running. Mobile phone time measurement. This video helped me a lot.

·
Rich Dumas
3,568 Posts
Sensors that look across the slot can cause problems because some guide flags are transparent in the infrared range. White guide flags are likely to be a problem and it was recently reported that someone was having problems with the older Scalextric blue guide flags. If you were the only one running on the track you might have to change the guide flags on some of your cars. In a club racing situation other people running on your track for the first time might have a problem with missed laps. You would probably want to use a system that works with any sort of guide flag in that case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Construction tutorial Lap timer, Lap counter - Arduino and Race coordinator slotcars 1part

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

I am from Germany and I designed a solution some years ago, which can display your lap-time and also your speed. It doesn't matter if you are driving anlogue or digital.

You can switch between

- Version 1: current speed/ Max speed

- Version 2: current speed/ Lap time

We presented this solution also to Stadelbauer (Carrera) in 2009 in Austria.

We are using 2 IR-Diode and a display.

Ready for plug and play (ok just soldering some cables).

Here some information:

https://richis-lab.de/speed2.htm

If you are interested, please contact me. I have still some parts here. Tested and ready for you.

Shipping is no problem!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts