SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm in the middle of setting up my micro scalextric layout. I have looked into lap timings and have seen that a guy in the U.S. sells a cable to fit to a serial port of an older pc to run with racing software and have also seen that other makes such as the tomy afx electric lap timer can be converted but, I know nothing about these and would like to call on your experience of what works well with micro scalextric.

Help is much appreciated
Simon

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Any system can be made to work with enough effort, an easy answer is a Carrera timing bridge.
You might be better off getting Tomy AFX track and a Tomy timer, as there are a lot more track parts available in AFX.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Julian, I had looked at the Carrera timing bridge but I thought it was only suitable down to 1/43. If I had known what a wide range of H/O scale was out there i would have probably gone with the tomy afx but on the upside you can pick a set of micro scalextric up for next to nothing but hopefully will create a good set up with it.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
you could use a slot dragon stand alone timing system. it looks really good and they make them to fit your track, about 60 quid all in. about the same as a ninco bridge which you,l have to modify to fit. the slot dragon system times to .000 the bridges to .00 i n fact i,m saving for one now but i want the drag strip facillity as well. happy hunting. john

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The Carrera bridge definitely works with HO, you have to position it carefully though, and you may need to lift the track about 6mm.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hi Simon

Have you thought about making your own? It's pretty straight forward, with just a little bit of soldering involved, to make a dead strip which will attach to your PC via the serial port, or also the printer port I think, and hook it up to something like Ultimate Racer which is a free download.

Al, (asjwood on forum) has also built a brilliant timing system we use at the club, might be worth dropping him a PM as well.

Good luck with whatever system you go with.

roll

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Roll,

I will definitely look into making my own, the good thing about the pc based system is that all info is there on the screen to see without scrolling through to get best lap time current lap time etc, and I would imagine it would be much cheaper.

Thanks
Simon

·
Registered
884 Posts
Agreed Simon PC timing is defo the way to go, cheap as chips as well I set mine up for basically nothing using an old lap top and cable I already had

Paul

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Andy that would be a good starting point untill I can afford something more sophisticated. Can it just time one car at a time? Just wodering how it would destinguish between 2 cars.

Simon

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,629 Posts
I think the Maplin unit is designed for timing one run/lap at a time.
Been discussed on here before :- Linky

Leo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Leo, bit of a pain only being able to run one lap at a time otherwise that little maplin timer would be the ideal stop gap before investing in a proper system linked to the PC.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you have an old laptop or pc you can use and can use a multimeter then there are lots of options. If you intend to go the IR route, Tomy flyover supports are ideal for making a clip on light gantry. For magnet cars, reed switches work pretty well.

Where abouts are you Simon? You may find there are people on here nearby who can help, or show you their setups working.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Can you not just have two of the Maplins, one on each of a single lane strip?

Talking of clubs - There are absolutely no HO scale clubs where I live in Dorset (well none that I can find anyway)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts