SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi guys,
I have a dilema.
I have 2 customers who have reported issues with lapcounting.
I have had their cars sent to me and no issues my end.
I have also sent cars that are 100% here but fail at their end.
Ive simulated their tracks as close as possible. If the customer is using Carrera track so do I, if they are using Ninco so do I etc. If they use Carrera cars so do I (they are just a Mabuchi motor like Scaley).

Ive found that in some conditions a cap and ferrite on both braid and motor wires, plus twist wire pairs together, fixes the issue.
On other tracks they are not required.

Ive contacted quite a few users who have no issues. In fact they dont even have any caps or ferrites or twisted wire pairs for protection.

One thing Ive learnt is everyones situations are very different. Different cars, installations, tracks, motors, power supplies, rooms etc.

Because I have no failures lately after adding cap and ferrites I cant gather clues. You cant fix something that doesnt fail.

My big Scaley track never has/had issues except for a few rogue chips I found and discarded.

So Im looking for clues. (PS Im using both the Scorpius RMS and Scorpius basic lap counter to count laps).

The other issue is there are seldom posts on here regarding failed laps. A quite forum can be bad or good, bad if theres no interest but good if theres no issues, and there are very few posts this year on issues. I know the issue is radio noise off motor and voltage spikes from rails, hence the recommendation of caps and ferrites and twisted wire pairs for both. But why are these 2 good customers having issues? Is is their track? Room? PSU?

Any help appreciated.

Rick

·
Registered
458 Posts
A very good describing of à problem!
How can you, or the customer, isolate the problem? Just to take à part of the timing system, à very few pieces of the track, as I asume, its all by plastic, take all electrical sources fr.o.m. The same outlett.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Camber @ 29 Jun 2012, 12:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are they rug racing?
Static electricity from carpet?

Well one is but we eliminated the carpet and same issues.

QUOTE (Lasp @ 29 Jun 2012, 18:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A very good describing of à problem!
How can you, or the customer, isolate the problem? Just to take à part of the timing system, à very few pieces of the track, as I asume, its all by plastic, take all electrical sources fr.o.m. The same outlett.l

So far we have tried everything obvious. The technology is still new and time will eventually lead us to an answer.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Hello Rick,

I haven't reported for some time because i haven't set up a summer track yet (and the xmas track is history of course).
The only issue i can think of - when the parts themselves are 100% - is environmental conditions like transmission / receiver issues (dongle position for instance)

In a few weeks time i'll be setting up a temp. track with all upgrades installed (a pic of how to optimize the dongle antenna would be handy). If i have something to report i'll do it here.

Merc

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rick
I have had problems when racing 4- 6 cars a car will miss laps,but when I run the cars individually seems to be flawless.
I haven't had anyone over racing for a while so I would presume problem is still there.
Have you tried the problem cars with several other cars on the track it might bring out the error
Good luck
Mark

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Mark,
Thanks for replying. Yes have tested multiple cars. That would suggest one of the cars has EMI from the motor or braids. If you could test those cars individually again and check or add the following in this order of importance until it works.

Check antenna wire is pointing towards sky as much as possible (contrary to previous instruction)
Ensure phototransistor and LED are 12mm offset.
Ensure phototransistor is square to chassis.
Earth wire to motor can
Twist motor wires to motor.
Add 103 Ceramic capacitor across motor terminals
Add ferrite across motor terminals (as per a standard Scaley car)
Twist braid wires together
Add 103 capacitor across braid wires
Add ferrite to braid wires (as per a Scaley car)

Every car is different BUT only add as necessary to reduce install time. For example I have cars here with none of the above added and can achieve 1000/1000.
The next batch of chips will come with ferrites and caps as standard.

Weird things can occur. Last week I had a rogue phototransistor. It was getting 90/100 but replaced phototransistor and bingo, flawless.

If all else fails send it in for free analysis.

Sometimes but rarely I see some bad installs, so I fix it and return to sender to copy for future installs.

Rick

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rick
I have sourced the capacitors very cheap from Melbourne
But cannot seem to find the ferrites needed would appreciate any advise
On where to source them from
The cars I have been using are all pioneer with capacitors & ferrite still connected
As purchased
Thanks in advance
Mark

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok Im assuming the ferrite and cap is across motor but not braids. I would try all the other possibilities first regardless.

PS The day before put a tiny dab of hotglue between motor wires on the PCB otherwise as you twist them together they will short. The same should be done for braid wires. If braid wires short its ok the car will simply stop. If the motor wires short the chip will melt.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys
Forgot to mention the car data problem is/was related to any lapcounting issue. So if you have a correct install you should get perfect car data.

The exception is those 5-10% of faulty car chips that escaped into the wild. If you come across any of these please return for warranty.

Rick

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hi guys,

I was one of the guys having issues with lap counting.

I am rug racing on a bumpy Ninco track. Hard conditions for a digital system.

To fix my issues, I had to:
  • Swap S/F LB.
    Obviously there was a problem with that particular LB or with the beacons installed.
  • Use latest car decoder version
  • Twist wires as described by Rick
  • Apply the dongle fix
I did several long runs with several hundreds of laps. No missed lap at all!

I now can confirm, all issues have been solved by Rick.

I am really excited about this outstanding system!!

Diegu

1 - 14 of 14 Posts