Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Mac Pinches asked me to post this piccy since he doesn't have the facility to do so himself. It's the winners from the last ever rail racing meet to be held at Oaklands before the club went over (under?) to slot. No doubt Mac can tell you more about it.

Coop

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That`s a great piece of hobby history. Blimey Mac I was two yeras old then! What struck me was the mixednature of the group, lady racers as well as the lads. It must have been very sociable?

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
thanks coop , ill get the hang of the picture thingsoon, the thing that sparked off the serch for that photo was the link on coop,s thing about dave"tubby"day, the forum of late carry,s things about, marshal,s, things not being new etc, if you read the coop link you see we where talking about the samethings back in the rail day,s!!! dose anything change all that much? stan whitbread was running suspention back then. youwill notice the tony whitbread is oggling my trophy, itwas a lovely thing , a white plinth with mercury on the top, this was for second place in the GP,every one was trying to come second to get there grubby little hands on it, in the race Vi took off like a scallded cat, i followed but got passed by young tony, he thought he had the second place and that trophy but his car went up in a cloud of smoke! tough. the thing i remeber about this time, slot was coming into being and i was running rail and slot cars, not having a lot of loot at that time {thats another thing that ,s not changed} i ran 4 cars,changing them from rail to slot and back again for the 2 types of racing, i would be half way to a meeting and start to wonder, have i got a rail shoe or a slot guide on them !!!. as john noticed there where alot of lady,s racing in those days, you where hard pressed to beat some of them, i think Vi whitbread won about everything going, the guys put on tie,s also, gentlemen or what!! i dont know about the lady,s, but you must remember this was "pre-thong" times. cheers mac p

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Very interesting! It was before my time as I was born in 1966 - a good year for a certain football squad I believe.

So, I wonder what went wrong? Why do we not have more ladies racing? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I think it's a bad thing (yes Dear, I've typed that bit for you
). Seriously there's no reason why women today can't enjoy the hobby. No doubt some of the ladies could also put us to shame with regard to modelling (CARS & SCENERY guys!). More than a few "girly" hobbies lean towards the artistic.

Mac you look as though you are in the employ of the Mob in that photo! Mac P, slot car gangster!

Mark.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Currently we have three lady racers at the club and about ten girl junior racers overall. This hobby is open to all but men seem to be more obsessive about hobbies than the ladies. The more the merrier I say

G

·
The Dave Day story was done for the book and then put up on his website, Dave's car are safe in the hands of my co-writer. Several set of the earlest cars were save for the book, including several 1963 slots cars both 1/32 and 1/24.

Mac built the rail car which was used to build the track.

RR

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never ceases to amaze me how the more, shall I say, mature slot-racer can remember races from years back (40 in this case!) whereas I (feeling my age at 29) have trouble remembering things from about 4 days ago!

And as for slot-racers wearing a tie to the race - sign of the times but I don't own a single tie and haven't worn one for about six years - and I work in an office!

Coop

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Yeah Coop- it's the short term memory I have trouble with. The old stuff is well and truly burned into the hard-wiring though! Which key do I press now, dear?

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
That Whitbread family were a bit keen, eh.

Wonder if the parents played hard with all the kids toys as they grew up. Must have been a mind f~~k even Freud hadn't thought of to be out raced at slots by your Mother!

Scott

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Ecurie Ecosse @ 17 Mar 2004, 01:13)That Whitbread family were a bit keen, eh.
I think that the Oaklands club actually started in the garage of the Whitbread family. That right Mac?

Coop

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
thats right coop, but you aint putting me back that far!!! i only joined oaklands when they where at Langley above the garrage, so you see im just a young upstart cheers macp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts