SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One for the scale car park or pit lane at poundland today 1/32nd scale new ray caterhams at (wait for it) a pound each

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
cool! I am generally impressed with New Ray's 1:32 range of statics, especially the motorbikes and trucks. The caterham looks good, especially for a pound!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I know this is a little farfeched but, which poundland are you using?,where i mean, you are not by any chance a northener from Hartlepool, I go up there at most once every month me being a weak southener from Oxford that is.

Doug

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
preston but poundland stores are all over the uk so you should find some of these down your way

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
That looks great, Grah - a gorgeous little model.
These, with reasonable tyres, would be wonderful for conversion to no-mag racing.
Hope to see an article in the next few weeks!

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive done a few die cast to slot conversions and they are a little heavy to perform well a better idea would be the scaly kit but I know what your saying there is a £6 price difference I might do one cos they do look good

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Ultimate performance compared with light weight plastic bods really doesn't matter. I just think they would make a GREAT standard class of their own - as long as there are enough of them to go round.
I just love cars that people normally consider 'too heavy'.
To my mind (or what what passes for one), they perform so much more predictably and realistically.
Excessive weight is GOOD for slot cars!
(and for decrepit old phartz)

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tropi just for you I have motorised one today ,Its not quite finished yet but Ill try and get a couple of pics on later

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
heres the pics , simply I just cut the original floor pan out to accept a cut down pinkcar motor bracket and glued it in place the original wheels were reamed to fit a 3/32 axle and a scalex gear is used . A scalex guide fits through a hole made in the chassis at the front .
I ve had to loose the seat bases to clear the motor but I'll disguise that later .
I will try the original tyres first but Ill probably make some silis for it .
More tommorrow

Attachments

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE But isn't that puny Pink-Kar motor going to struggle a bit under all that die-cast?

probably but Tropi said he wasnt bothered about the speed I think it will pull it ok may be a 30 tooth contrate is called for Ill test it tomorrow

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
john , tropi Ive tried the caterham today and it goes quite well,all up weight is 78g and the puny motor pulls it round ok ,the original tyres are useless and I had to coat them with silicon to get some grip so I'll have to cast some to do the job properly

·
Registered
979 Posts
There are loads of these on ebay, I picked up a New Ray Lotus Elise for 99p (+ postage) - not a bad model with opening doors and a nice body but the wheels lift the body way to high, its more like a 4x4 version of an elise!

Mark

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
biggest problem with motorising die casts is the weight the caterham isnt to bad but some of the others are way to heavy but they can be made to look good

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Latest update on the caterham.I managed to persuade a pair of carrera go aston martin rear tyres onto the rims they fitted ok with just the touch of a file to the rim centre ridge .
Results on my 70 ft carrera exelent considering its all made from junk ,lap times in the mid 9 secs and a good top speed with nice predictable handling make this probably my best die cast conversion to date

1 - 20 of 21 Posts