SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy

Just went on a spending spree over the weekend! LOL!

Bought a Scalextric Sunaco Camaro & a Carrera Dodge Charger street version.

The Camaro is a beauty, flys like a rocket and sticks to the track like glue! LOL!

This is the first Scalextric car i've bought in about 20 yrs (have only bought a couple of SCX rally cars since starting up again) and i love it.

The Carrera Dodge Charger seems to be quick in a straight line but seems to have a few problems cornering and bottoming out on the track, i'm just a little disappointed as it looks great.

I was also thinking of buying the Daytona version but not so sure now unless i can improve the handling of the street version.

Has anybody else come purchased the Dodge Charger?

Cheers

Was

PS

Did i tell u how much i love the Camaro!

·
Registered
376 Posts
<<The Carrera Dodge Charger seems to be quick in a straight line but seems to have a few problems cornering and bottoming out on the track, i'm just a little disappointed as it looks great.

I was also thinking of buying the Daytona version but not so sure now unless i can improve the handling of the street version.

Has anybody else come purchased the Dodge Charger?>>

Hi PS

I have the charger and the Super Bird........ and they will be the last ones I get...
The do look great but I was very unhappy with the way they ran and my cars had some serious problems with the wheels being pressed on so bad I almost have to throw them out.... They still aren't on straight......

The brakes are very poor ( I understand that changing the gearing will help that) but they handled very badly..... The bodies are thick and make the car very top heavy and wants to role over just looking at a turn.....

I know that some have been happpy with the cars but I am not one of them.....

Chris.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
HI Was!

I've got the Street Charger as well as the Riverside 69 Al Unser car. Have you tried removing the plastic spacer fitted under the rear bar magnet - this may raise the mag enough to stop it grounding out. True the front tyres as well as the rears - most Carreras run with the fronts on the deck, unless you want to space the guide down a bit to raise them clear. Also make sure the braids aren't forcing the guide out of the slot - they are quite thick.

Or you could try running without mags altogether - the car is quite a bit lighter. Yes the body doesn't help in the turns, but at least the car can slide some more to compensate. The braking isn't too bad I find, mind you I don't know if removing all the resistors etc. helps this(saves weight!).

It all boils down to horses for courses - what do you want the Charger to run with on your track?

I'm one of the ppl who like the Carrera range, they are smooth, fun to drive with a bit of tweaking and look great. I have been fortunate in not having the wheel problems that Chris has found, although I have unearthed another problem re: tampo printing on the Yellow Camaro (N.64). However, If I need a car for Serious competition (Porsche challenge etc.) then I look elsewhere for a starting point.

Mark.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I agree with difflock.. I also like the carrera cars - but you will find that the carrera cars are very different animals to the scalextric. I personally do usually 'race' at home tracks and not clubs. On home tracks we have had quite a lot of fun with the carrera cars. However we do take of the bar magnet almost by default. Often we also get rid of the other magnet. In my opinion - when driving without magnets - the scalextric mustang and camaro have not behaved very well on the home tracks I've tried. So the carrera cars have been ok in comparision - it is true that there is not much of braking with the carrera cars - but we have not seen that as being a problem - rather it requires a different driving style. There are non-carrera cars that have limited braking (revell anyone?) but this should not matter - with a little goodwill you should be able to find quite a few well matched partners for some fun (home) racing with your friends. Maybe it is difficult in a club - I do not really know. I have heard of clubs that race the carrera cars with great enthusiasm though - so it should be possible.

//peter

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Just returned from an evening's racing over at Pendle's track (The large one which everyone knows about). After we'd finished racing the Indy cars, there was the usual free for all and Nick decided to have a go with my Carrera Al Unser Dodge Charger. Now this car, like most of my othre Carreras has had it mags removed (they wouldn't work on copper anyway!) and all that electrical gubbins taken out too.
You should have seen the grin on Nick's face as he drove the car at quite a quick pace around the track. He certainly seemed to enjoy the experience
, more so when I put the street version on the next lane

Mark.
P.S. There's a review of the Charger here :- www.homeracingworld.com just click on the review archives, then Carrera.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

I removed the plastic spacer and it has improved the handling quite a bit, it doesn't seem to bottom out and leave the track so much now.

I'm going to try a scalextric guide pin next to see if this helps more.

Cheers

Was

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Was,
Just a thought. You are using Scalextric Sport track? If your using classic then the Carrera guide blade will just go clack clack clack everywhere, unless it jams!

Mark.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark

I'm using a combination of Scalextric Classic and SCX.

And yes, it does go clack, clack, clack!

Sounds more like a train!

Was

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
AHHH! THERE YA GO!! The classic track's slot just isn't deep enough for the Carrera blade - just run the car slowly by hand and watch the guide bounce up and down over the "links" at the bottom of the slot. The appropriate Scaley type guide should greatly improve the situation

Keep us posted

Mark.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I wouldn't say that the Carrera cars have no brakes, just that they aren't as effective as some other slot cars. However, the some of the older evolution chassis such as the Pontiac GTO Custom had a different transmission to the 9/27, and this made the brakes useless.

I suspect that you need to change the motor to get better brakes.

Mark.

·
Registered
420 Posts
if you use carrera cars on a scalex classic track - or on a scx track it is worth knowing that you can get carrera guides especially for that purpose...

//peter

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Difflock and I raced the carrera Bentlys at preston last night ok so we doth got our arses kicked by the flyracer/proslot brigade but the drove ok all I did to the cars was the prep as mentioned on the carrera shoot out thread ,in there own right these cars were great fun to drive ,in standard form they were hard work to turn in consistant laps but not after the limmited prep of truing gluing and un screwing

·
Registered
420 Posts

truing
gluing
and
screwing

... and the result is...
poetry in motion

//peter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts