SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
as you know, technology finds a long time getting to cornwall. then its useually one shop within a 300 mile radius. from what i,ve read they can lazer cut from a drawing. do i have to put dimensions on it, or would a super accurate drawing be okay to work from. remember i know nothing at all about this process. and a ballpark guess as to the cost, would be a good idea. thanks. john

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
You've found a supplier to do the laser cutting for you?
Ask them all the questions like what sort of drawing or data they want and price.
Not everywhere will give the same answers, you need to know the answers for the company you are dealing with.
With any luck they will be happy to help you with that sort of information. If they are not helpful then maybe they are not interested in your order and you'd do better looking elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Hi John,
Your drawing would have to be done in a computer vector drawing package such as autocad.
You will probably have to send the laser company the drawing in a file format that they can work from such as a DXF file.
If the laser company have to do any work on your drawing then it really starts to get expensive so it will pay you to talk with them and understand exactly what they need.
Might be worth your while giving Andy Brown-Searle a call at ABSlotsport as he has a company he works with to produce chassis for BSCRA racing. He is also the supplier of the Beardog, Monoposto and Can-Am steel chassis for scale racers.
Cheers.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
A friend had a run of Tassie Devil chassis cut some years ago, the company charges the equivalent of 400 pounds just to convert his paper drawing into CAD. Also any part that was cut off the main frame section was charged as an extra, because the operator had to pick it up! If he had left the parts attached by thin tags the unit cost would have been a lot less.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Hey John,
You can also usually set up your files in illustrator, Corel draw or Inkscape (free). If you have a hand drawing you are trying to get into a suitable format, I could take a look at it. Chances are it wouldn't take me that long to trace it out for you.
Heath

·
Registered
375 Posts
If it was me wanting lazer cutting .................. my first call would be to Andy at A B Slotsport.

It's gone a bit quiet on the 26g rewind front too ................... what's happening ?

Have fun

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone. i was on ab.s site yesterday and noticed the lazer cutting film. so thanks **** i.ll get in touch. thats a very generous offer Heath, i,ll pm you when the drawings ready. it is really simple the chassis, all i want is the base plate with some slots in, all the rest will be carbon fibre parts i,ll make. a bit like the german chassis. Milan Tomasek has a carbon fibre chassis that he quotes as 20 euro for the milling? but its not what i want. thanks again. john

1 - 9 of 9 Posts