SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
1,488 Posts
11 May 12

On the afternoon of Friday 11 May '12 Paul Levers, Phil Rees and I visited the table manufacturer that will be producing the tables for our Le Mans track.

Following detailed discussions with the MD we now know how we can finally raise the 24-Hour track off the floor to celebrate the 20th running of this auspicious event.

If all goes to plan the aim is to place the order by the end of June which will lead to a new era of Endurance racing at DHORC this November

Cheers
Nick

1,488 Posts
18 May 12

Phil Rees and I spent this afternoon tracing all 33 pieces of Le Mans track onto backing paper to enable us to then use the silhouettes to decide on how many and which type of tables we will need

By the end of the afternoon we had the Le Mans track all on paper!

More to follow….

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Long overdue, but brilliant news.

Now that we have run the 230' HONK track for two national meeting, once with 4 lanes and once with six, I can tell you with some authority that elevation changes really add to the driving experience, if done well.

I am sure that anyone who has driven at HONK and HOLM would join me in hoping you have some elevation changes at the 24hr this year, especially as the real track has some really nice ones.

Ignore who the messenger is, focus on the message

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Lee - it looks as if you will miss the discomfort of marshaling on the floor, you lucky dog. It is a memorable experience....

You have nothing to compare it to of course, having not raced the HOLM track, but you have driven the HONK one. Can you imagine the 24hr track with elevation changes as well?

I am sure the tables will be a hit, even if flat. For me the next big upgrade would be simulating night running

1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am sure you will become part of the furniture at Le Mans Lee like many others, once you are hooked it is difficult to put down

Next we will be looking a scenary etc, this is just the start of tip of the ice-berg, it is all very exciting

Cheers
Nick

1,488 Posts
Tonight we laid out the paper copies of each section of the Le Mans track and calculated how many tables of differing sizes, spacers and fillets we will need to order for the track, the order should go in over the next week or so.

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Best get myself over to Derby soon so can get use to the cars and controllers so at least on pace for race

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Why not use the Turbo chassis at SCHORC and the Nationals.

With a resistor controller and no brakes.

This will give you all the practice you need

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
And why would i do that? As i race NASCAR at nationals i use sg+, life like and lwb mg. Using a turbo just to practice for one race a year daft. Also why would i change my controller which im so comfy with again for one race a year when main focus is to win eahorc nascar champ so need best tools available to do just that

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Lee

It was t.i.c.

You missed the smiley's

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I think it is far more important to make sure you can spend all of the Friday of the actual race weekend up there, pounding around the actual track with the correct cars and controllers.

Take several cars as the tables being in play this year means you might 'kill' a few. Get there as early as you can in case, as last year, the local racers take over the evening practice session for a race meeting.

By all means go to the DHORC club nights for fun, but in terms of of helping you with your ambitions they are a bust.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
The uniqueness of the event, from a SCHORC/WHO/FLBT/EAHORC point of view is not using brakes (plus coast for some), it takes some getting used to but you will need to gauge the power lift off points (for want of a better word 'braking' points). The chassis in use is not really an issue as you have some to practice with anyway, but they are not all the same, you want a no.7 or no.8 as that is what you will using to race with proper, with 3 tyre options (probably).

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Is that confirmed, does every team still get a mint #7 or #8 tested by Brad for trueness?

I have not driven the HOLM track with brakes, nobody has as far as I know, so I only have my limited experience of using the Turbo on tracks that do to go on when I suspect lap times would tumble. But, for good or ill, there are no brakes and that is all the more reason to get as much practice with the Turbo on the track as possible.

Lee - I'd recommend you focus the first few hours of practising trying to do stints of 10-20 laps without an off. Remember there will be no formal marshals during practice and with the tables you car may be off the track without anyone being aware of that, so crashes will be very disruptive to becoming one with the layout.

Later in the day you can focus on laptime (if there are any timers running), the key being to find the lower edge of YOUR comfort zone and stay there. During the race make sure your team know what that zone is for you and get them to tell you over the radios when you are getting too far above it. When you are tired sometimes you can be 2 seconds above that zone and not know it.

1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Lee,
Best bet would be to come to one of our corporate days when we are running one of the big tracks at Donington Park or Rockingham. We use the Turbo's all day then and during the down times keep trying to beat each other to set the fastest lap or most laps in 2 minutes. If you can get close to either of these then you will be well ready for Le Mans

The tracks on a Club Night just aren't big enough and we are running different cars

Cheers
Nick

1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hope you will be able to race in this year's event Tony and try out the track on the tables, will be some sight, hopefully they will be available from the end of August so we can start to sort them out before the weekend to reduce set up time

Cheers
Nick

1,488 Posts
The tables are ready just waiting for the payment to go through. Last Friday night Phil Rees and I visited Donington Park to check out where they have kindly agreed to store them FOC and that all looks fine. Without this support we had doubt that we could have actually gone forward with this excercise as we could have afforded to buy them but not store them without great expense!

Hopefully we will be able to pick them up and use them at the British Superbike meeting at Donington Park over the weekend of 8/9Sep12.

I was discussing Le Mans on tables with Dean Wragg, captain of the current World Record Holders Wrun Wragged, on Thursday night at CHORC and we both agreed it is going to be so different this year with the track that bit closer to the drivers. OK it will still be around 8 feet below head height for the taller drivers but it will be different. It will really down to the team who deals with these changes the best who will win the event. Maybe the World Record won't go again for a while but once we have sussed how best to run the event on tables I am sure the record will be under threat again. We have to decide how we best manage the infield and even the drivers' briefing will have to take place somewhere else, it is normally held in the centre of the track.

It is going to be a fun 4 days in November with a steep learning curve!

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I'm not sure about this steep learning curve. It will be easier for the marshals for sure, and probably for the drivers too as the cars will be nearer.

So long as the barriers do their job, and they have to given the unforgiven floor below, I don't see a problem.

Do you have pictures of the barriers?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts