SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many folk who want to build slot cars, but for several reasons, haven't yet started. Having sufficient confidence and time are pretty normal stumbling blocks, so I hope it doesn't irritate too many members that I've started this thread in the hope of helping others to get on their way.

It's merely a simple, but far from definitive, guide to building a car a bit at a time with a standard PCS chassis.

In these first few pictures, I've shortened the sliding front piece of the chassis by 12mm, cut the outriggers off, glued a spacer to each side of the chassis to prevent up-and-down movement of the front axle, and shortened both axles with a grinder.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel
Wood Hood Hardwood Audio equipment Personal protective equipment
Vehicle Tire Car Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leading edges of the chassis sidepans have been cut at angle to clear the tyres, and the nipple at the rear of the chassis has been removed so that the body doesn't tilt.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Wood

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The front body mount, made from the body of a ballpoint pen and filled with epoxy, has to be drilled to accommodate a small screw from underneath the chassis.

Initially, it's too tall and was, therefore, reduced to the correct height with an electric grinder.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Toy Wheel Audio equipment
Wheel Automotive tire Leg Riding toy Tire

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rear body mount is a piece of Milliput. Whilst it's still soft, I've pressed the chassis into it, to locate holes for the securing screws.
Leisure Recreation Fun Motor vehicle Landscape

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The head- and spotlamps made by Frogeye are so nice that I shall use them in preference to the PCS items.
Leg Wood Flooring Foot Human leg

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Two further coats of silver to conclude spraying. Any more coats would give an overly glossy finish, which would be slightly inauthentic.

My grateful thanks to you for looking and for your interest.

Just hope it helps others to start their own treasured projects.

More anon.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Car Vehicle Window Toy Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Fascinating looking car, that 356. I can't recall seeing a car with such fairings added over the FRONT wheels before.

I don't count the Cunningham 'Le Monstre' as the whole CAR was a fairing! :)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts