SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all what's the view on the likely winners in this year Le Mans 24 Hour?

Last year was interesting for the spectacular failure of the fast but fragile Peugeot's and the relative slow but consistent Audi's.

We will also see the return of the Mazda for its 20th anniversary of its 787B and only win.

regards

Ray

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
Two weeks and one day and I'll be waiting for the ferry to France

From testing it will be a diesel race but the ACO have been tweeking the refueling rules so if any petrol car can actually run at a decent pace you don't know.

But then again no new good petrol cars have been developed so we are facing brand new diesels against several year old designs I suspect the petrol cars will be moaning about it being unfair again.

Almost forget the Aston Martin. Will it make tea time on Saturday? Maybe midnight

Still with a clean sheet of paper the best idea is obviously a 2 litre turbo 6 cylinder unit producing 400-500bhp for 24 hours...

Still should be a great race. 40 years since the Steve McQueen Le Mans film too

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr Croker I am very jealous, I will be glued to both the free to air and cable TV coverage.

IMO the best race in the world and on my bucket list.

Did not know it was twenty years since the Steve McQueen movie! Fantastic will have to watch the movie again although probably know the movie off by heart. I did see the DVD making of clip where one of the race drivers said he saw a cameraman laying on the track at one stage to which Steve McQueen said "Yes it was me"!!!

Regards

Ray

·
Registered
311 Posts
Peugeot's seemed a lot quicker than the new Audi's at Spa a few weeks ago, so are probably favourites for the outright race win.
GTE should be a great battle again though, Porsche, Ferrari, BMW and Corvette will make for a great battle.
Would love to go back to Le Mans, last went in 1988, maybe next year....

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
I'm really looking forward to these next few weeks, TT week starts in 6 days time, the 24 hours on the 11th of June and then the British GP a month later!

This years Le Mans I think will be superb. The new Audi should be very quick, and should have sorted out the glitches from Spa. The Pug's will be always quick, and I think Anthony Davidson is desperate for the win at Le Mans after the superb drive at Spa and has got a point to prove.

In GTE, its going to be very close, with some good hard racing. The Corvette's seem to be getting faster but you can never discount the Risi Ferrari's.

I'm looking forward to it!
Regards
Jon

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
After a year away I'll be returning to the Sarthe in a fortnights time. Really looking forward to it. It's a fantastic experience and far better value than any Grand Prix.

Allan

·
Registered
730 Posts
Peugeot I think have the car to win but other than two years ago they always manage to screw it up somehow, i'll be rooting for them again though. Love the Davison Wurz line up.

I've only been twice, 94 and 09 but it really is a very special place and as has been said incredible value.

I love this time of year, Monaco, Indy, Le Mans, Silverstone and a test series about to start

·
Registered
230 Posts
QUOTE Two weeks and one day and I'll be waiting for the ferry to France

Mr Croker, keep an eye open for a bunch of guys wearing yellow shirts that say Slot Car Corner on the back...

Yep, a crew of 8 from the USA and Canada will be there this year. It's the 1st time for all of us, and we're excited for sure.
If you see us, be sure to say hi, ok?

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Thanks for bringing up age Mr Croker I have been around for a bit longer than you and yes it has been fun. Make sure you post some photos from your visit.

Have read in a local aussie motor mag that the Audi's :-
-have an upside down 120 deg vee design motor;
-has a one piece monocoque (reducing weight);
-fully electric paddle shift hybrid gear box;
-tail fin to eliminate aero lifting evenin a 360 degree spin at 260kph;
-right hand drive cockpit layout ;
-has air flow from the nose grill that run air over a cascade to divert rainwater befor hitting the driver and 100% LED lighting.

Also the artical states that Henri Pescarolo estimates that the diesls have atleast 100 hp more than the over the petrol car and predictes for June "a massacre' unless the ACO revises its rules.

Regards

Ray

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not long now have told the missus the TV is booked all weekend can't wait.

Ray

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I went to Le Mans in '88, '89, '90, & '91 (then got married in '92) and have never been since!

We were big supporters of the Silk Cut Jags, and one year we towed an old Porsche 911 that had broken down for miles looking for a garage that could help. Eventually we towed them into Rouen and said goodbye. (The camaraderie between fellow Brits!)

Standing behind the Arnco on the Mulsanne straight (before they put the chicanes in) just feet away from the Mercs thundering past at 250mph was painful even with earplugs in and hands over ears.

Happy days!

I have thought of one day trying to put together as big a grid of cars from that era as possible. It would probably be more for nostalgia than out and out racing so probably Scalex models or similar.

Any suggestions to get me started?

Anyway, whoever is going, have a great time!

·
Phil Smith
2,638 Posts
QUOTE We will also see the return of the Mazda for its 20th anniversary of its 787B and only win.

I was there that year (and many others) the Mazda is still the only car you could here from anywhere on the circuit all the way around!

Somehow I lost all my pictures from that year except those that were in the camera (film not digital) and this is about all I have

We went in a MK9 Jag I had that year which was good fun.
Here I am cresting the hump at speed on the Mulsanne (going the wrong way and picture taken from telephoto lens form the second chicane)
Don't be fooled by the looks, the MK9 was basically a XK150 saloon car and very fast and nimble

I passed through Le Mans last week on the way back from Bordeaux and I must say it was tempting to stop for the week

·
Registered
600 Posts
Alan McNish crash is available on YouTube -

Thankfully, no-one was hurt - testament to the strength of the modern cars.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts