Saturday 14:15 - 17:30 (live) Start of 24 hours race
Saturday 19:15 - 21:45 (live)

Sunday 08:00 - 09:00 (live) including night racing info
Sunday 14:15 - 15:30 (live) Finnish

Go Corvette !

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
One of the most appalling motorsports crashes ever! And one which affected racing for many years to come! Thankfully too, one which led to many safety precautions and concerns for safety that we still enjoy today and which continue to evolve.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I'm not at home at the moment so can't look up my references but from memory the D type Jaguar of Mike Hawthorn was overtaking an Austin Healey as they approached the pits, Hawthorn braked late and entered his pit causing the Healey to swerve into the path of the Mercedes of Levegh. I believe it was the Mercedes engine debris that went into the crowd causing 80+ deaths.

In Hawthorn's book "Challenge me the race" he devoits a chapter to the crash and I feel his complex explanation of the event implies a feeling of guilt even though he accepted no blame in his writings.

David

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Thanks David, eventually found a reasonable article on it in the web, mentioning that people had claimed the pit straight was too narrow before the race, and also noting the historical concequences (swiss ban on motorsports, mercedes withdrawl from racing and so on)

A tragic event, but I guess it is these events that have spurred on moves towards safety both in racing and on the roads

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
Every year Eurosport show a review of all the past le mans races with the addition of the previous year added on. Even though it is more or less a repeat, I look forward to watching it. It's good to see all the models we collect in action and to spot one's which we would love to see.

Question is this year, do we watch the start on Eurosport, or ITV. Which one will have the least adverts

M

·
Gary Skipp
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd say Eurosport.

The ITV coverage is virtually non-existant, an hour after the start and then coverage at 1:15am.

Eurosport will have a few more breaks but they usually only have 2-3 adverts, plus theres more coverage.

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
Another thing to mention is that Eurosport have great commentators covering the event, although ITV do have Martin Brundle.

Maybe I'll record Eurosport, watch ITV and then watch the Eurospoprt recording in the week

M

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Just got back, great time, very tired.

Will write a small report later, (with slot-bias).

Regards

Alan

PS The Hawiian Tropic girls were overshadowed by the Ferrari ladies this year..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.