1,802 Posts
Uff! Slot delicatessen, beautiful car 😍

Cheers

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
hello ....

LMM Slot cars .....

Ok ...These models are really splendid and the first slot cars issued were unable to run on our tracks .They have to be deeply modified for that.

LMM is originally an excellent static resin models maker .

these last years , LMM slot models seems to be more easy on tracks with quality chassis parts .

But I think they must stay on display , they are to delicate and upgrading such nice models is not cost effective.

This is my own point of view.

best regards

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
hello ....
LMM Slot cars .....
Ok ...These models are really splendid and the first slot cars issued were unable to run on our tracks .They have to be deeply modified for that.
LMM is originally an excellent static resin models maker .
these last years , LMM slot models seems to be more easy on tracks with quality chassis parts .
But I think they must stay on display , they are to delicate and upgrading such nice models is not cost effective.
This is my own point of view.
best regards
Well, Big Block has a point here. Maybe you coul but the Carrera car Bentley for around 30usd, then put a 3d chasis, performance parts(a Big Nsr Shark 25,ball rollers, titanium Axle, Sloting plus ultra light rims, Extreme Grip Slicks, etc) and even then you wouldn't expend the price of the LMM,and if you crash it, the Carrera body is sure to hold together and be back on bussiness in a second.

Cheers

·
Registered
464 Posts
I mean... look at the tolerance between the tires and the body - no room for error there. It will definitely Not run on my track! Gorgeous car though!!

LMM makes exquisite resin bodies that love to be looked at. I have several but never took them out of the box. I've been told before I ever purchased one that they are delicate and heavy. Don't run it unless you are OK with it breaking. However, one day, when I'm older and retired, I will run mine. It'll be such a pleasure to see them go around!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
That looks better quality then my LMM cars. I think the Slot It parts will make it perform much better then their older releases and the body may be better quality and hopefully assembled with more consideration for those who will run the car.
Old LMM cars look great until you open the box and run them due to how some of the parts are fitted and the quality of the parts. I think the Bentley will be a great car to run but the body may be more susceptible to damage if you crash. The Carrera Bentley looks good but doesn't have the level of detail of the LMM version or Slot It quality running gear out of the box.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Have LMMs improved in performance since these writings? Im a home racer and run Carrera digital. I dont mInd upgrading components but I need a reasonably durable car.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The Carrera model is a better option if you want to race it and avoid damage on your model. Maybe hard to source though. They are not reproducing the same car, LMM does the Le Mans winner, Carrera did the racer from the previous two years.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Gorgeous models, have several Matras, Porsches , Fords and an Alpine Renault. They all sit on display or occasionally in the LM pit lane, but I wouldn't risk running them around, far too delicate. Next LMM purchase will be the Inaltera of Pescarolo. I personally don't think they are that much more than a Thunderslot or NSR for that quality and accuracy.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I had to return the Alpine I got. It arrived with the rear in pieces. They are intended to be used as shelf-queen. I suppose so. I ordered the Bentleys and I am also looking forward for the Inaltera.

I have several Thunderslot models, I've never put them on a track, which is maybe a shame, but I like them a lot. It think they are really accurate.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thunderslot go really well on the track, my Ulf Norinder LM 68 T70 is used in classic, we have to use slot it 22s,on our wood track at North Staffs. Shelf queen is the Team Surtees Aston engined car fron LM 67.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Below a pic of my LMM 917 Pink Pig. It seems to be an exception to the general rule. The car goes well, simply because I changed the standard rear tyres for a pair of 'softs'.

It's too heavy to be fast, but acquits itself well when raced against similar cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Below a pic of my LMM 917 Pink Pig. It seems to be an exception to the general rule. The car goes well, simply because I changed the standard rear tyres for a pair of 'softs'.

It's too heavy to be fast, but acquits itself well when raced against similar cars.
Trisha- What do you have that is similar to a Pink Pig? A 1960s Austin 1800 'Land Crab', maybe?

Mike

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The 1969 917K is much more attractive to my eyes than the 'Pink Pig'. I've always wondered why Porsche didn't try putting an extreme angle onto those tabs at the back, to make a sort of 'Gurney flap' like the GT40s used. Set low down as they were, I think the airflow probably separated before it reached them if they were set set flat as they seemed to be and it wasn't until John Wyer's team tried the upswept wedge tail that they got this more or less sorted.

My model of the 1969 Spa debut 917K is nearly finished (for the second time) - being delayed by 1:1 car and house work

Mike

·
Registered
895 Posts
The interesting thing about 917 #30 at Spa 69,chassis 002 was that it had practised as # 31,it was later used for testing and destroyed later that year.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Tangerine

Merely as an addendum to your post above, 002 was also the first 917 to appear at Le Mans. Rolf Stommelen took it out on March 30,1969, and set a new lap record of 3min 30.7.

At the Le Mans test weekend in 1971, Jackie Oliver took 043 around in 3min 13.6. To knock off 17secs from Stommelen's initial record is not only remarkable, but shows just how much progress Porsche had made in such a relatively short period.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts