SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having watched some Le mans (american) it occours to me that we could race 2 LMP and 2 GT40 and 2 pace cars in a proper race. So the question is how to do it? The cars need to be diffrent. Bearing in mind my track is small a full SlotIt LMP is too fast for confort. With good tyres a scaley std motor is acceptable for the Slot it LMP. For the GT 40 class I would like to put a less powerful motor (than basic scaley). The alternative is to limit power on my APB for the GT40 (don't realy want to differentiate just by tyres). Plus how do I calibrate the throttle on SSDV5/APB system and is the power limitation suficiently accurate that two cars with the same power limit will genuinely get the same limited power? Suggestions please. Why, because it gives both teams a bigger challenge which is what digital is about (and lets me collect more cars). and we get to drive all evening with a variety of challenges.

PS, I do not think 6 cars on one track is too much, drivers have to drive carefully and with BRAIN ON, that is what digital is about. Not even sure that I would use the suggested millisecond delay on start on SSD if it ever gets in place. Better to penalise the bad driver with losing one of his three crash cards and re-start the race. Burnt hands teach best and all that.

·
Greg Gaub
14,653 Posts
Pace cars: start in front, one in each lane, no lane changing. If you do one of each, make sure they are each set to an appropriate best lap time. If you're driving magless and want them to be a challenge rather than traffic, make sure they have magnets and set them at a time just near your best magless lap time.

driven cars: SSDC5/APB is automatic calibration of controllers, so don't worry about that. Use throttle curves and power limits to achieve what you believe to be an appropriate top speed and control for the cars being used. Take time to set up each car/driver individually for more realistic performance the day before (or sooner) and be sure to save the database regularly in case of an unexpected error. Then on race day, everyone has a turn with each car.

I think the actual racing should be fun. The hard part will be all the prep you'll need to do and test and tweak.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pace cars with fixed throttle I have got sorted. Variable throttle does not work on small tracks. To be fair that was obvious as at 5% time control, it is nowhere near good enough to be reliable at a speed significantly faster than for fixed. Even for fixed you need to set nomimal track time down by at least 0.3 sec (which is significant on a 5 second lap) to allow the system to hold the right speed. PS this is still much better than simple fixed throttle as you can set up with a cold car and it is tolerant of changes as the motor warms up.

Will be a few weeks before we can trial this idea but it looks possible.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back from holidays now. I would still like to know if I can get a lower power motor than a standard scaley that would interchange to power the GT40 class. Much less hassle and it allows the racers to tune their own GT40 if they want to.

·
Greg Gaub
14,653 Posts
Probably your best bet will be the low RPM Pioneer motors coming out along with their MGB cars. Unfortunately, spares probably won't be available until a while after the cars, which aren't yet available themselves.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
What about the Ninco NC-1 motor, I think it's 14,000rpm whereas the Scaley motors are 18,000rpm.
Also have a look at Scaleauto motors I think they do a 10,000rpm motor.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that! The variable power thing failed so the gearing/motor may not work as small tracks only use small power, 70% or above makes little if any change in lap time. Think it will have to be worse tyres (than unadulerated P6's). Still need to workout what cars. What are good GT types with suspension but not slot.it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I run mixed lemans on my track, its about 16m long. I dont have SSDC yet (waiting on the cable) so I vary the overall power of each car, 88% for LMP's and 75% for my GT's
the difference is very noticeable down the main straight, also the scale speeds seem much more appropriate and makes for some wickedly close racing. I run the pace cars changing lanes at random which can sometimes mean you get stuck for a whole lap behind one (I only have 2 LC sections) which can be a bit average. might look into one pace car per lane

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not really.

I have now to agree with Mash13 and others that dropping the power does discriminate subtley. For re-fueling on our new track (now 13.5m) you can tell 80% power from 90% but nothing 90 to 100% perhaps becuase its a bigget track 14m vs old tight 9m. I have dropped the full tank speed to 80% power and is does add to the simulation.

On this basis I have not now written off simple power reduction . However work has stopped as with a new bigger rug race track I have had to re-think borders. I have been distracted building light weight bespoke borders for the new track so a fast build is possible. I need to get the track up, race and down in an eveing. Build time is back down to 30 min or less with new borders. Once this is complete and the lane changers livened I shall get back to this search.

However biggest challenge (for a no a man with little knolwedge) at the moment is what cars would be at least vaugely representative for the second class next to 962's and whose to buy?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Michael363672 @ 7 Nov 2011, 09:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What about running diferent fuel useage in each class that way fas and thirsty or slow and on track
this way stratergie really plays a part

Michael
Not thought of that. My aim was initially to get "traffic" for both classes but to prevent too much bunching i.e. all 6 cars in a line. This is more than credible as a simulation but could be too taxing on a small circuit. However you question begs an interesting one which is what can be done to force different strategies. You could as you say even allow some sort of max power vs fuel burn rate. I think this is what you mean :- Restrict full tank power of a car more ,but set the fuel burn rate slower vs Higher fuel rate burn but full tank power. But would you want that mix in a given class? Sounds complicated even for me. It would be good to change burn rate/tank sixe between classes even if just to stop queing at my pits which are only 2 bay style.

Clearly you thought on this. I am convinced that the full breadth of what can be done with digital has yet to be discovered. Joker laps in rally type racing are possible for an extra divesity in saloon/rally type races and does not require any additional electronics.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I would have of thought something like
90 power fast fule burn for LMP1 cars
75 power medium burn for Gt class
should give enough of a difference to make you think?
And run a long race give 1/2 point perlap in the scoring run each class and combine your results

What you recon?

·
Tore
1,692 Posts
Weight can be used to "handicap" classes when not using too powerful motors, something like a minimum weight limit around 80-85 grams for LMP class and 95-100 grams for GT class should do the trick with Scalex motors. Allowing different tires and/or tire width for each class is another method.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I I wanted to change tyre width what would be a recommended change usong say slot.it wheels and tyres. Curremtly I use 15 by 8 wheels om my LMP's what would be thinner and make a noticeable difference on a say Porsche 911? Interesing idea by the way changeing width.

Micheell. Not sure I would wand to mix class results and I was not sure how your scoring worked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts