SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
I know most of the maestros who inhabit this thread seem to prefer hard bodies, but can I share two vac-formed creations that I have just finished? They are both from True Scale Products:

Both carry home made decals printed on an inkjet printer from originals made after hours of Photoshopping scanned images from old magazines (in the Porsche's case) and other logos downloaded from the internet. The Audi rides on a slightly modified Slot.it chassis, but the Porsche has a scratchbuilt frame:

My first attempts at 1/32 scale bodies and chassis since about 1989 - I've been too busy racing RC since then.

More photos at:

Slot Cars

Dennis

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Beautiful cars, Dennis, and thanks for the link. I shall be carrying out a bit of industrial espionage on those designs later...
But no anti-vac prejudice here, friend!
And please tell us that that excellent homebuilt chassis leaves the Slot.it in the dust round the twisty bits!
Thanks for putting those up.

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the kind words, and to aBILL - don't give up hope, it's all just a matter of practice makes perfect.

Howmet, you're welcome to anything you might spy in my albums, that's why they are there. Sorry, so far the Slot.it chassis is quicker than the brass one. I do all my running at present on my Carrera track so I'm running magnets in everything, and the lower weight of the plastic chassis is a definite advantage. I will be doing some development on the brass car to reduce the weight - I think it is just too heavy for the V12 motor at present. It handles well but doesn' t have the acceleration of the Slot.it car. I think of it as a "mule" to be cut up and re-configured until I get something that works. The basic design boorows from my memories and photos of what we used to race in the late 1980's in South Africa, but that was with foam tires, side dams and the old Betta "handling bodies". Russell probably has some photos on-line somewhere from those days.

Dennis

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing I should have added is that the real credit needs to go to Victor Ferguson for the amazing quality and detail of the vac-formed shells he produces. In 1/32 scale it's not a big range yet, but every one is a pearl.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Nothing wrong with vacforms Dennis especially when they're finished to your standards. I'm planning a few 1970s F1 vacform cars soon, they will be the first I've built since the mid 70s.

David

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
I'm with the others on this Dennis , nothing wrong at all with Vacforms, I use them all the time.

Victor's bodies are first class I just wish he would produce more!......

Regards

Alan

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Victor has just finished a 1/32 Le Mans 2001 Bentley:

I have not seen it in the flesh (PETG?) yet, but I'm sure it will be up to his normal excellent standards.

Dennis

·
Registered
376 Posts
Dennis

Outstanding work....... I have several of Victors bodies that I need to get working on..... And your right he has some of the best quality bodies going right now...

and being a scratch builder I just love the chassis work you did... great workmanship... Have to get you talked into building for the Proxy races :)

I see you have a manget added to the brass chassis too..... I did a scratch built up with brass and added a magnet like your and I needed a Cheetah motor to push the thing down the track......

keep them coming

Chris

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris,

Thanks for the compliments, but my chassis work can still get better - I'm way otu of practice. I had the dubious priviledge of trying to compete against Russell in Concours d'Elegance at every South African National Championship event for many years till we changed the rules so he didn't win every time! It certainly set a benchmark that I'm still trying to achieve.

My entry for the 60's Formula one Proxy is in the planning stage, and I will think about other events as I get back into this hobby.

I put the magnet into the chassis to be able to run on my Carrera track at a decent speed without always having to ensure that it was spotlessly clean, and I found out that the chassis is rather too heavy for the downforce and the Slot-it motor. The plastic chassis under the Audi in the picture is much quicker with the same motor and similar gearing, so I will be experimenting with less weight on the brass car. but I love the time spent building chassis - it was always my favorite part of slot racing.

Dennis

·
Registered
715 Posts
Wow! You guys who do your own metal work are amazing. I could probably lash something together wire-wise (if that is a real term) but, milling and cutting your own brass...I would not know where to begin!

My hats off to ya! Great work!

-Maltese

·
Registered
376 Posts
Dennis

I think a goo dnumber of us have been tryign to match Russell..... I know that I have and have fallen sort everytime.... Russell is a outstanding modeler and builder..
But your chassis work is VERY good..... And your modeling is top notch too.... It is not easy to make Vac bodies look like that... But Victor is making it easier for us by the quality bodies he is making.....

Glad to hear you are going to try the Proxy racing you should do well with work like that.... I may have something for the vintage race too.....

Maltese

If you can do one from wire you can do one from sheet brass too... It really is not all that hard once you get started..... Just some time and practice.... If it will help I have a few articles on my site with tips and such at http://jbriggsk9.tripod.com/chrisbriggsslo...page/index.html

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts