SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of good footage of last weekend's race on YouTube. All worth watching. Well deserved success for all class winners, but particularly so for the Astons.

All so very odd, though, without crowds of spectators. No ferris wheel, no fun fair. Empty enclosures. Vacant grandstands. Track action, however, as fast and furious as ever. Just hope all back to normal next year, eh?

Oh, and a wholly irrelevant pic below for the hell of it, which I suppose serves as a reminder of great LM days years ago.

Attachments

·
Autoavia
1,005 Posts
I had hoped that the no7 Toyota would win as the same crew have always been the bridesmaids before but still a good race.

It is a real shame that the LMP2 cars all look so alike. In the Group C days each marque was distinctly different. True there were large numbers of Porsche 956/962 in the fields but as there were so many other different cars that didn't seem to matter and the 956/962 did give privateer teams access to a good reliable car at what was (in motorsport terms) an affordable cost.

So - who will be the first slot car manufacturer with a generic LMP2 car?

The other thing I noticed is how much of the character of the circuit has been lost over the years.

The chicanes on Mulsanne were understandable as speeds had become too high but we have also lost :-

That amazing corner after the pits long since ruined by the Dunlop chicane, the roundabout at Mulsanne corner which has destroyed the country lane feel of the place, the "new Tetre Rouge and the loss of the spectator banks in the Esses which gave that spectacular view where you could look down on the cars and made it feel like you could almost reach out and touch them as they rushed past.

My last Le Mans visit was 1990 and when I look at the circuit on TV now I feel like I am looking at an old friend who has been horribly disfigured.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Autoavia

I feel much the same way about LM today. One step forwards, three backwards, and all because there are fools who love fixing things that aren't broken.

If I drove to Le Mans today, it would probably be to visit the garden centre on the Mulsanne straight, which is why I continue to savour past memories.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Well, all the classes (except one) provided a fair degree of entertainment!

The sooner LMP1 is discontinued the better! :(

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I think that all the classes were entertaining. Rebellions were LMP1 and they finally got a result - brilliant!

I started going to Le Mans in 1968 and was there last in 2016. In my opinion it's gained some things - particularly the Porsche curves and the sheer spectacle of the huge pits area at night and lost others (see above). Nevertheless, it's still very much the same race and is endlessly engrossing to watch.

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Nevertheless, it's still very much the same race and is endlessly engrossing to watch.
I fully agree. It's the motor racing equivalent of test match cricket with long term strategies playing out punctuated by sudden surprises whilst you dip in and out of it as it goes along. My favourite race of the year, along with the Tour de France (bicycle version).

·
Registered
883 Posts
LMP2 wise, I think Slot it have announced an Oreca, hopefully next year's release, loads of liveries available, good call maurizio.
Including this year I've only missed 5 years at the Sarthe since my first visit in 84.The track layout has changed for safety reasons, as have many other tracks, it's frightening to think how old the new pits are!!!.
The whole week at LM is the attraction, Scrutineering in the town centre, used to be at the place de jacobins, practice and qualifying Wednesday and Thursday, pit lane walkabout Friday morning, massive car show Friday between mulsanne and indianapolis, driver parade in the town centre Friday teatime.
All this for general entrance of about 90 euros, an absolute bargain. Safety concerns also modified the inside of Indianapolis corner, which was great for viewing and photography, it's changed a lot but its still a great event, really missed it this year hopefully back in 21.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Motor Trend network broadcast the full 24 hours here in the states. My favorite part was the time just before and after dawn. The transition was beautiful to watch. Reminded me of my days working 36 hour shifts - the reflecting on all that transpired since the start and gathering the energy for the final push.
In an interview one driver said the thing he missed this year was the smoke from spectators grills wafting over the track. In response to the interviewer's raised eyebrow he said really, I do.
Great stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Gratuitous.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching over the weekend, trying to watch at any rate. I kept finding the unofficial live streams I had been watching 'disappear' from YouTube's search results*. 🤔 It was funny and annoying in almost equal measure.

There was quickly plenty of official highlight stuff, too. Which is nice.

*I stumbled on Nicki Thiim's channel whilst searching when YouTube closed down one stream. He's an excitable and passionate fella, isn't he!? He's got some cracking German language 90s DTM stuff, presumably robbed off his dad! Dubbed gear changes a la Fast 'n' Furious and dubious subtitling but gorgeous machines.

Back on topic, Porsche were a bit disappointing, and unlucky, this year.

·
Registered
883 Posts
That'll be copyright, there was a Belgian guy, got away with streaming this years Eurosport live broadcast for about 6 hours, Sport is a business now, someone somewhere has to make a euro or two.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Ah so, but I'm not sure that the messenger should be held responsible for the message. The Highways Agency does not get prosecuted if I speed on its roads. That's a whole different topic though, and nothing to do with this Forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was also happy to see Brendon Hartley climb to the top again, John, especially after his run of misfortune in F1. Nothing seemed to go right for the poor chap in GP racing, but he's more than proved his worth as a driver in sports cars.

Watched a little more of last weekend's 24 Hours on YouTube yesterday. Marvellous camera shots of the cars all the way through, but this wretched virus really dampened the usual sense of 'occasion' for me.

Soothsayers from the scientific world are predicting that this is something we might have to get used to if we don't mend our ways.

A sense of occasion! It's what we motor racing folk need, eh?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Apparently, Hypercars will run at Le Mans next year. Could anyone enlighten me, please? Hypercar? I've no idea what this word means.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Plans for future classes are, what shall we say, in a state of flux. Imsa and the fia/aco generally had rules that allowed cars to race both sides of the Atlantic. The hypercar plans were started a couple of years ago, several manufactures came to meetings with an interest, but many have dropped away since, the covid situation has been a spanner in the works for many motorsport programmes.
Toyota were probably the keenest and are the furthest down the track, their car was scheduled to run this autumn, but the pandemic has slid that back to next spring.
Aston were at the initial talks but I don't think they are going ahead, a company I know nothing of, glickhaus, from memory are mentioned in dispatches, Peugeot have made all the right noises and were shouting loudly about the project along with Total, partner or sponsor, at last week's race, they have released images, think initially Bykolles were interested.
This all was progressing, then earlier in the year a financial rethink brought into play the lmdh class, which is I think basically a rehash of LMP2, these cars are obviously simpler and more cost effective.
I suspect more mainstream manufacturers would throw their crash hats into the ring for this, Porsche are seriously evaluating this option. This option would allow cars, teams, manufacturers to run at Daytona and LM, more exposure, more bang for your buck, the problem is some form of equivalency formula to hypercar.
Fairly sure the LMP 1 nuts n bolts can be incorporated in a hypercar, which is why Toyota are so far down the road.
Rebellion who had a great Le mans have pulled out, they are selling a car to Alpine, which is the new racing name for 21 for Renault sport, this can run next year as it is eligible, they have then moved up from LMP2 with their car that wasn't really an Alpine.
Its all in a state of flux really, so for the near future it's probably going to be Toyota hollow victories as its been since Audi pulled out, diesel gate and Stuttgart panzers pulled out, as after three championships and three LM wins, nothing left to prove.
With the ongoing covid situation nobody knows anything for definite anyway.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts