SlotForum banner
281 - 300 of 374 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Just got back from Le Mans....and it was good to re experience the event...and realize...
...that too many people "just" watch the Le Mans 24hrs.
Which can be nice and entertaining...but is in fact only a very meagre...one sensory (visual) 2 dimensional experience.
Attending the event, standing next to the track, even at the bigger distances they keep you at these days, your are completely submerged in the experience.
You don't just watch the cars with your eyes. You feel them coming by with your whole body, every sense is triggered as the cars come by and by... and by for 24hrs.

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Your absorption of Le Mans, Tamar, is an experience that will remain with you for the rest of your days. Just the smell of freshly ground coffee, the bouquet from a newly opened bottle of wine, the glorious stench of engine oil or the sight of a line of Poplar trees immediately transports me back to the 24 Hours.

Watching it in 2D isn't quite the same but Le Mans continues to ignite my passion for motor racing like nothing else and always will.

For the sheer terror of speed and noise, though, it's difficult beat a Herefordshire farmer in need of beer at the wheel of John Deere...

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Fatigue, excitement, stress, frustration, elation, irritation, fun, wonder, annoyance, racket, tranquility, ambition, hope, longing, resentment, loathing, wonder and resolve are always part of the Le Mans experience, but little tests the human spirit after a night of watching and listening to noisy racing cars like sunrise and mist over the Sarthe. Amen!
Water Car Vehicle Sky Automotive lighting
Trousers Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hat Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Well Trish, you're absolutely right...but memories fade, well maybe not the complete memory, but the sharp edges of reality.
2022 was my 13th visit to the Le Mans 24hrs...and it certainly wasn't n unlucky number.
But coming back after a 6 year long "interbellum" it did made me realize how much of the sensory experience my body had forgotten.

It also made me realize... or better said revitalize..why I love my "slot" cars. As that "why" had been suffering from a steady degradation during my "interbellum"

As I wrote earlier attending the Le Mans 24hrs had always been the pivot and calibration point for all my (slot) race activities...even though I do not consider myself to be a slot racer. I consider myself to be a sports car racer....
...its just that "my" sports cars due to certain 'limitations" tend to be a lot smaller :giggle:

It also made me realize once again what our "hobby" needs... and that is for more people to attend races.
Doesn't have to be "the Le Mans 24hrs" although I would consider that to be the equivalent of the "ultimate pilgrimage" for all motorsport "believers". Just a visit to your local Track/Church would do.

Its amazing how many of the key people in our community, known names and manufacturers alike have never been to Le Mans. :oops:

p.s. For those of you who tend to post about the love for "their" Le Mans classic's and how they've faded into bygone History. I would strongly suggest you to attend the upcoming Le Mans Classic 24hrs. It will be the best boost in revitalizing your hobby and make you re experience, revitalize those boyhood dreams.

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Ah LeMans what happy memories and i was lucky to see some of it live on telly this year , bought back actual visits to the race , and the smells , the good company , interesting food , and Michelle who did like a walk in the woods when it was dark

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I was able to attend Le Mans (more than) a few years ago. It is a totally immersive experience. 🤓

the race itself almost becomes incidental, there is so much to see & do.

It has been described as, "Glastonbury for petrolheads" 🍷🏁🇲🇫

Reactions: HiFi and Trisha

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
For those who were seeking live coverage, I can recommend Radio Le Mans (RS1 channel). This is available world wide on the internet and if you listen to it for any length of time you will get the full immersion experience. It's radio of course, not TV. The commentary team are outstanding, and there is enough time for the full gamut of anecdotes and happenings that you feel you are there. Too late for this year but Nota Bene.

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
I looked at the clock yesterday and thought: "Just three hours to go," as I often have in the past. 'Tis the usual length of two Effing 1 races but, with a helluva lot more action and racing.

The only pity of LM for me is that it isn't held every weekend. An excellent excuse for a new tent permanently erected somewhere close to Hunaudieres.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
God it was hot, I personally thought the crowds were down slightly this year, those Vettes look excellent in the flesh and incidentally had a slight speed advantage over the factory RSRs

But at the Sarthe the race ain't over until the fat lady sings, neither #63 or #64 , both in yellow incidentally, heard her .
Thought the Ben Keating Aston looked fantastic, a well deserved GTE am win for him.

Biggest disappointment for me was the Porsche mobile sales unit, the usual 12 metre fold out trailer wasn't in attendance, just a small kiosk type unit, with a very very limited choice of merchandise.
Boycotted P and O, I was quite happy with DFDS, planning longer than five days next year, hopefully all twelve.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Well Trish, The Sarthe river is still there the cars from "your" world too, or at least most of them will be at the Classis Le Mans in less then a month....but for the original pit building...you would need a better time machine to make all well in your world again. 😇

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The interesting/frightening thing I realised last week at the track was that the new buildings, 1990, are nearly as old as the original, well rebuilt in 1956 , buildings , are we due new ones in a couple of years ????????.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
I think the ACO has been spending most of its development money on revamping the village...as those investments are repaid by the Hermes, Bulgary, Moet & Chandon zipping VIP's they consider to be more important.
And they did up their capacity going from the original 50 garages to now 63?
But a whole new pit complex, ground up? Don't see that happening in an other decade.
Although the numbers may suggest differently 1956 -1990 = 34 years, 1990 - 2023 = 33 years...hmmmm... maybe sooner than a decade. 😇

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Stood at the top of the village on Wednesday lunchtime thinking of the comings and goings of marques and shops.
Peugeot, Audi, Ford, BMW, Aston, the usual Porsche mega trailer was now replaced by a very small unit,
one of the fun tents used to be Flying Lizards.
Had a nose around the displayed 88 #2 Jag and a chat with the guys, the mock up of the new Pug was popular, but for me the Vette in the Vette shop was the most attractive, planned to purchase a Vette T shirt but the design I liked featuring the cars was in the women's range, grump.

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
One feature of driving, especially away from Le Mans, I've always enjoyed is seeing poppies growing among fields of wheat, oats and barley. They're a simple visual pleasure, and symbolically important, of course. Glad they grow in the garden at this time of year because they further remind me of the great 24 Hours.
Flower Plant Petal Vegetation Natural landscape

281 - 300 of 374 Posts