SlotForum banner
301 - 320 of 374 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
Re Hawthorne in 1956, I'm afraid death in motor racing was simply a fact of life then and it was also only 10 years from the end of the War. When a driver today say's "I've got to put it behind me and concentrate on the next race" he/she is usually referring to a bad race result. In 1956 they had the same attitude to death. It's not being flippant, just a sign of those times and a different outlook on life I think.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Old cars are very thin on the ground in France these days,unless immaculate, any trusty old Simcas, Citroen's and Peugeots in battered daily use, have disappeared probably due to scrappage schemes.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,811 Posts
The same could be said today of the Isle of Man TT, in 2022 the toll was up to 5 !
But I would argue if the competitors are willing to take on the challenge then it is an acceptable cost , there are no safety nets on Everest ......
It's financially attractive for our government, local businesses and landlords...it's obvious that competitors lives are expendable for this lucrative cash cow to carry on.
Thankfully there were no visitor deaths this year, probably in large part to what some called overly restrictive speed limits (50 instead of derestricted) - it's called the 'invasion of the nobheads' for good reason.
So Deathrace 2023 plans are already underway, more rider fatalities are guaranteed because reality is something you can't sweep under the carpet.
I used to love the TT but going home in a box after losing your head in a high speed crush into a stone wall or lamp post isn't justifiable. When a father & son die on the same bike in the name of 'taking on a challenge' what do you say to the kids when they ask "when is Dad coming home?"

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
I have a lot of sympathy with your sentiments but there is a paradox here. Folk race because it is dangerous. It presents a challenge that some want to face up to. Its like joining the Army, sailing long distances or mountaineering and rock climbing.

To repeat Guy Martin's quote "We know what we're doing. If you don't like it, leave us alone, go home and mow the lawn".

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Saturday evening last week, I went down to the bottom of the circuit, quick quatre fromage pizza then spectating at Mulsanne, which has a large screen on the inside of the track where the signalling pits used to be
Into the setting sun that very fast run from Mulsanne to Indianapolis and Arnage must have been a real handful for the drivers

301 - 320 of 374 Posts