SlotForum banner
321 - 340 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I watched the Goodwood Festival on telly. The commentators joked that at present all Le Mans Hyper Cars are red and white.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Toy

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
Mention in another thread of the massive difference it made when Radio Le Mans started reminded me of trying to follow the race as a boy at home in the UK. There was NO coverage on radio or tv. I used to try to find French radio stations broadcasting hourly updates using my home made kit valve radio. Very frustrating especially as I hadn’t learned any French by then and their radio announcers mangled English names! I can imagine Triumph being a mouthful for a French non car fan

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I used to listen to the BBC radio overnight in the 60s and I returned to it in the Jaguar GpC era. It seemed wonderful at the time, waking up to listen to the announcer getting drowned out as the cars went by. Now we can get almost constant feeds from Eurosport - but there are always those *** ads!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I used to listen to the BBC radio overnight in the 60s and I returned to it in the Jaguar GpC era. It seemed wonderful at the time, waking up to listen to the announcer getting drowned out as the cars went by. Now we can get almost constant feeds from Eurosport - but there are always those *** ads!
I remember the Le Mans updates being on every hour on the radio , cant remember the commentators name ?
The BBC also covered the finish of the 67 race on TV in color ! , luckily the friend of a friend had an early color TV :)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
That would have been the late, great Raymond Baxter. No mean driver himself either.

My Dad and I set our alarms and got up every hour, on the hour, all night to follow the progress of Le Mans back in the 50s. Great times.

Later I got to work with him on an episode of 'Tomorrow's World' and he had great fun wrecking instrument panels with an impact rig I'd put together at Pressed Steel. :)

Years later I met him again as his boat had the mooring directly ahead of my Uncle's at Marlow, and he was Commodore of the Little Ships Fleet, the boats that went to Dunkirk in WWII and many of which were then preserved.

Forehead Tie Coat Smile Jaw

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
Lucky you Kit. I would love to have met him.

He was lucky to survive WWII as he was a Spitfire pilot. One incident I recall him recounting in a t.v. interview was near the end of the war in Europe he was flying low over some woods in occupied Belgium when a V2 rose out of the foliage directly in front of him. He loosed off a burst of gunfire at it as an instinctive action but said that it was a good job for him that he didn't hit it as he was so close he would not have survived the explosion.

An inspiring commentator with no hysteria, no hype and always informative. Martin Brundle is somewhat in the same vein today I think.

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
"Mind my tea, it's right on the edge of the table..." Rowland Thaxter.

A quotation from the 'Grand Prix of Gibraltar" that for me perfectly sums up the great Raymond Baxter. It's a quotation I often articulate at home even now, but 8t's rarely understood by the peasantry, naturally.

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
Thanks for the video which I will devour later. There is a specific topic on the Forum for the centenary event and it would be worth re-posting this there.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,811 Posts
Thanks for the video which I will devour later. There is a specific topic on the Forum for the centenary event and it would be worth re-posting this there.

Good idea (y)

321 - 340 of 374 Posts