SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
On YouTube theres a video onboard a D Type Jag with Mike Hawthorn doing a lap of Le Mans in 1956. Very interesting commentary from Mike.
I've watched that on the big screen at Brooklands, with fully active seating for the viewers!
ohmy.png

The bit where he dodges round the guy on a bike 1/3 of the way down the Mulsanne straight is a total hoot.
biggrin.png

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Having ditched Formula E, Porsche have announced a return to Le Mans, WEC and IMSA for 2023. The Stuttgart company is planning a new prototype for the hybrid LMDh category.

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,284 Posts
Post #41, Trisha - do you know if that is the same location as the current pits?

For some reason, I have always thought that was placed there because it was opposite the old entrance to the airfield. I think my dad may well have told me that on my first visit.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Martyn

I stand to be corrected but it appears that the pits in the 1920s were, more or less, where they are today. However, the circuit changed most markedly in the early 1930s. The cars used to head from the pits down to the City of Le Mans but, from 1932 that was stopped altogether.

Instead, they went from the pits into a new layout similar, but not quite the same, as today's arrangement with the Esses leading to Tertre Rouge (Red Hillock) before Hunaudieres, or Mulsanne Straight as we call it.

Hope this 'elps.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
The position of the finish line, where the clock was located, hasn't changed since 1923. The pits have always been after the finish and before the first right hander (Dunlop). Of course, the pits themselves have changed many times over the years. Here's an old page from 1936 showing the pit area in detail. Interestingly, the main entrance (#1 on the map to the spectator area (Tribune Bleu), runs straight across the airfield at about halfway along the pit straight.

Map Font Parallel Pattern Plan

The big track alteration mentioned by Trisha involves a detour right towards Tertre Rouge after the pits instead of continuing straight towards Le Mans. The remnants of that old straight route are still there today, just! This is an aerial pic from the 70s

Building Water resources Infrastructure Road surface Urban design

Andy

Attachments

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,889 Posts
Talbot-Lago Grand Sport Coupé on the left, then Talbot-Lago's and what looks like an Embiricos Bentley on the right

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
All things considered it is remarkable that just 22 drivers have lost their lives at Le Mans since 1923. It's a tragedy, of course, when anyone loses his/her life, but the 24 Hours can be regarded as one of the safest of all motor racing events.

Naturally, the figure of 22 only includes drivers.

41 - 60 of 158 Posts