SlotForum banner
141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
A Ferrari finished in 20th place at Le Mans this year. By contrast in 1939, a 570cc Simca Cinq finished in the same position, and remains as the smallest capacity car to finish the 24-hour classic.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Even the LMP2s leave me muttering.

The current narrow cockpits and massive dorsal fins look nothing like cars that I find pleasing. The last of those would have been the big V12 Jags, it was all down hill after that, from the appearance point of view anyway. :(

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I'm led to believe that the dorsal fins are a compulsory safety feature. They act like parachute if a cars gets airborne and spins out control.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Oh yes, I know that, it was one of the features demanded after the various 'looping' accidents, like Mark Webers Merc on the Mulsanne.

But it's the look of them that I dislike, and it's very difficult to tell an LMP1 and an LMH apart at a quick glance. Thank goodness for the GT classes for some variety in shape.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
For anyone with sufficient time to spare, there are excellent highlights of this year's race on YouTube.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,047 Posts
Let's hope Le Mans 2022 sees a better race for overall win, in recent years there's only been half a dozen contenders for that honour.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
An absorbing race as always. Very hard luck for the WRT LMP2 car that was class leader until the last lap. Has anyone seen an explanation of why it stopped?

IIRC the dorsal fins were introduced to interrupt the air flow travelling across the rear deck if the car went sideways. This generated lift and had caused some cars to rise off the ground windward side first, thus lifting them further and causing very nasty accidents. Peugeot and Tertre Rouge spring to mind. Of course, if the car is thrown into the air when it is going sideways - say by a kerb - then the fin will actually cause the kind of accident it is there to prevent. It only works whilst the car is in contact with the road.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Let's hope Le Mans 2022 sees a better race for overall win, in recent years there's only been half a dozen contenders for that honour.

half a dozen would be a blessing, Kevan, the for the last few years"fight" for overall victory had been Toyota number 7 vs Toyota number 8 ....

let's hope that the Hypercar era brings proper competition! So, far the signs are promising.

Reactions: Kevan

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,047 Posts
half a dozen would be a blessing, Kevan, the for the last few years"fight" for overall victory had been Toyota number 7 vs Toyota number 8 ....

let's hope that the Hypercar era brings proper competition! So, far the signs are promising.
I was going to say that but didn't want to diminish Alonsos 'achievement'.

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
The problems that WEC/Le Mans have had to overcome since being rebooted are legion. WEC started off because Peugeot had demanded a world championship if it was going to stay on board, then when the ACO and FIA acquiesced they pulled out anyway.

It all then started to look very promising with Audi, Toyota and Porsche. Less said about Nissan the better... I remember the meeting at which all the other manufacturers basically told them to either build a car that could compete or buzz off.

So that was them gone.

Then we had dieselgate, which put paid to Audi.

Then the EU put the squeeze on the manufacturers to sell more electric cars that nobody wants, so they went and did Formula E because it's cheap. Now FE is a busted flush and one by one the manufacturers are returning, which can only be good news.

I haven't had a problem with LMPs since they stopped going airborne. How they look is very much dictated by trying to exact the most from the fuel, which is the really interesting story about endurance that almost nobody is willing to tell for some reason. This is the draft of an infographic that I did for media in 2015 to explain how the 2014 race was won. A few used it, notably Top Gear, but as with F1 most media prefer to talk about tyres and aerodynamics, as it's easier to sound like you know what you're talking about!

I do like the GTs, and prefer the WEC GT cars to any other series. They're still full of businessmen getting their jollies rather than racing drivers, but frankly there's still nothing not to love about Le Mans or endurance racing.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Another annual racket at Le Mans. Its purpose remains something of a mystery to me.
Musical instrument Gesture Crowd Crew Flag

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Don’t forget that Le Mans is located in France, and the French are very chauvinistic 😄

141 - 158 of 158 Posts