SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing in this months Journal about the proposed Northern meet , I was wondering if there is any progress on this event ?
I understand from talking to people at the NSCC stand at Donny that there is no local representative of the NSCC to help with the organisation of this ?
Unfortunately Leeds is not near enough for me to offer assistance , but I wonder if there is any proposed dates or venues ?
The old Leeds meet used to be December at the Rothwell Sports centre , but the Swapmeet calendar seems busy on the run-up to Xmas . Rothwell was a good hall and decent car park , but a bit off the beaten track.
I'd hope you would consider putting adverts in a couple of the local papers to encourage local attendance from new recruits ?

Geoff

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it was a committee man I was talking to at Donny...sorry didn't get his name and I got the impression it was something they would definitely like to happen but I just think they may struggle with the organisation without local help ? If that is the case maybe a mention in the Journal or on here would recruit a volunteer ?
Like I said , I'd love to help but Leeds is an hour away , maybe if it was on Teesside or Darlington ? Of course they are both an hour further North for a lot of people !

Geoff

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
PMSL Guys

you're all abit ambitous thinking about Leeds aren't you?

anyway there is a Northern swapmeet already on the calendar..............

Sept 12th!

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Milton Keynes Bleep...I think one of our southern chums is having a laugh...

Seriously though, why not leeds or Manchester.There are loads of collectors up North. And with Pendle & Scale being in the North West it could be well supported.
Cheers
Kev

·
Ian
99 Posts
I'm not a member of the NSCC so I don't have a voice here, but wasn't there a Swap Meet at Newark "once upon a time" I know that's not really Up-North but it would be start, you never know I might just become a member then

·
Registered
21 Posts
There was no update in the June edition of the NSCC Journal as the "Chairmans Chat" article will appear in July with an update.

However, we are still looking at March/April 2011 in the Leeds area for the Northern Swapmeet, and would like some ideas as to what members would like to happen on the day.

By this, we're thinking along the following lines:

- Free admission to NSCC Members?

- Collectors Tables available at a very modest or even no cost to members?

- Do we charge traders for tables, or encourage more to attend by making them free of charge?

- Free tea and coffee?

- Scalextric tracks set up for kids to play on free of charge?

- An auction where you submit your items for sale in advance of the event?

- A Scalextric Car for sale only to those attending the swapmeet, with additional tampo printing along the lines of "NSCC Northern Swapmeet 2011" appearing on the car, with a limited edition card/certificate.

If the idea of a car appeals, how many people would come along and buy one, and what sort of price would they be happy to pay?

Any more ideas and opinions would be geatly appreciated - its your club!

Andy Smith
NSCC Membership Secretary.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I would make it late April, for the light mornings/nights.
Free entry to NSCC members(obviously
).
I would let traders in FOC (initially).
Car sounds great, but are you sure that you are going to get the attendance on the first venue to warrant costs?
I don`t think anyone would mind paying for refreshments..could the NSCC run that side of things, profits would then be the clubs?
Still think it`s a great idea to re-introduce a Northern swapmeet.
Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd obviously like this to be a success and hopefully an annual event rather than a one off
As a long term venture it is going to have to pay it's own way but am I right in thinking the NSCC may subsidise this first event ?
I think location of the meet will be very important ?
Also I'd hope most members would be happy to pay a modest entry fee to support the running costs . Personally I'd be happy to pay for entry as an NSCC member as long as it meant admission before the general public ?
I'd like to see plenty of sellers tables so low or free table charges would be great

A swapmeet car would be a great idea
Price would depend on car choice I guess but the popularity of the club cars and the recent Ninco Donny car must be a clue. I wonder if this would be a good idea for all the official swappies ?
An auction and tables for racing all add to the attraction.

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
I only attended the Liphook Swap meet some time ago but wonder about the feasibility of a swap meet car with tampo printing that could be produced in the limited quantities (compared to other production numbers) for a brand new swapmeet.

Concerns are who would bear the cost - and if many are left over what would happen to them - if they were sold to non-attendees of the swap meet it devalues by turning them from being only available to attendees to being just another "limited" edition car.

Why not expand the idea of a swapmeet car which needs to be produced in the middle hundreds by a manufacturer and instead of making this only available at leeds - why not make it available through the NSCC but to add to the "limitedness" have a special stamp for each swap meet that can be printed onto the limited edition paperwork.

This would mean the cars are more likely to be sold, and the value of the car would increase with each additional stamp from each swap meet.

J-c

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
What`s happening with the Northern Swapmeet idea Mr. Board Members?
No mention of it in Augusts` Chairmans Chat.
The world doesn`t stop at Watford Gap you know..

Cheers.
Kev

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
LOL Kev, them in the centre of the universe, oops the south east, think it does; any where north of the M4 is, well, North!
(hence my original suggestion of MK)

BTW I live in Shropshire, but am from the "North" originallly.

Just so you know the "North" starts in Crewe, it says just that in "Pies and Prejudice" which was written by the noted Northern writer and Broadcaster, Stuart Maconie.

SO that means Not Leicester, Not Derby and Not Wolverhampton!

Simon ( throws the lid of the worm can and steps back)

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Why don't you guys from up t'north stop complaining about the lack of swapmeets and organise one for yourselves!
It's not difficult, find a suitable venue, set a date (that doesn't clash with anything else) sell the tables and advertise it, job done

·
Registered
455 Posts
Because it has more chance of being a success if the NSCC is supporting and promoting it ?

You are rather spoilt for choice down South with regard to the amount of buyers and sellers you have . I always thought the old Leeds swappie was a quite well supported event in the past but it's a bit of an unknown quantity now.

I don't think anyone is complaining , restarting Leeds is an NSCC suggestion . We're all too busy exercising our whippets and cleaning out T pigeon loft

Geoff

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Typical Southerners answer from Phil.

Seriously though, with the likes of Pendle & Scale Models in the North West, maybe something could be arranged with the NSCC for a future event.
Cheers,
Kev

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
QUOTE Typical Southerners answer from Phil

Well I maybe a southerner Kev, but I did it five years ago with Orpington, there was no swapmeet within the M25, believe it or not and never had been. I knew nothing about running swapmeets, apart from attending them, but just went ahead and organised it. The first few were a bit dodgy but by persisiting with it I have now established a succeseful meeting, I see no reason why you can't do the same.
Yes I know I am in the South East where all the 'money is' but strangley the majority of my mail order customers live in the Midlands and North!

A few tips to anyone organising a meeting,
make sure it is within ten minutes of a motorway, make sure the hall is clean with easy access/parking and most importantly has natural light, so no Sports Halls please.
A cheap chain hotel within fifteen minutes is also handy.

Apart from advertising in the NSCC journal, Orpington is not affiliated with the NSCC in any way, it is an open meeting and all are welcome.
Restricting the entry of the public in any way by favouring NSCC members is, in my mind, a big put off to the public and not a good way of attracting them.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Tell you what Phil.
I`ll organise one up here in Costa-Del Sunderland, and you & Cooper can stop at our house FOC..our lass will even make fried breakfast & put some butties up for you in nice stottie cakes!

Some good points you raise Phil.
Interesting point you make about a lot of your buyers being Northern.
Honestly speaking the one main concern that I would have is the numbers that would attend. I wouldn`t spend £80 on petrol to go to the recent large Brooklands event,so I wouldn`t expect anyone from down south to go to the same expense for a small northern meeting.
Interestingly enough there is a busy toy fayre held at Gateshead International Stadium twice a year. Loads of top diecast , railway sellers ect,but no slots.
Very near to Newcastle. Could that not be a possible venue for the NSCC to look into?
Cheers.
Kev

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess you get what you deserve ...re the Gateshead event or most other toy fairs ...You don't see much in the way of slotcars being bought or sold . I actually sold some of my stuff off there a few years ago . I thought I did ok but my expectations were low . The kid next to me was selling Star Wars stuff and he had customers about 5 deep at his stall !
If only a few more people would shout up maybe it would be worth organising ?

·
.. Leo A Capaldi ..
2,482 Posts
Somewhere in easy reach of the Edinburgh-Glasgow zone would be attractive to a large community. Hexham ?
I would be prepared to travel as far as Darlington for a slot-car centered fair. There is a well established toy fair at Falkirk every month but little slot stuff. Having said that I first came across Pendle Slot Racing at an early edition of this (in Glasgow). Sadly Sean and crew never returned.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts