SlotForum banner

Let's have a go at a rally track

93K views 370 replies 53 participants last post by  nik kerswill 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Having been to my first Slot Rally G event in Farnham and well and thoroughly enjoyed myself I have decided to build a rally track. I have done a design on Ultimate Racer 3. Knowing how track builds go it will probably change as I build it.

I made a start today on the section that will be raised and hopefully made to look like an Alpine section.

If you see things on this build that you think you may have seen elsewhere then it's probably because you have. Hope members don't mind. They do say imitation is the highest form of flattery.

I have cut slits in the underside of the MDF to help it bend for the incline and the descent.

Think I might have to trim this a little btu I am aiming for this much height.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
I took my other track to the slot rally and one comment was that it was a race track, not a rally track. It wasn't meant badly, it was just the truth.
Yes it will be twisty, but that what I think it needs. It does have a couple of decent straights.
Thanks for looking.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Yes Phil, 2 lanes 1 crossover, but i'm hoping to do it a bit like the Scaley chicane track, have the slots more central, and because it's routed use the standard track width as road outline and route a 'rally/racing' line.

I am also thinking of getting an ac power supply so that I can rig 2 cars up with diodes and have the option of racing sometimes.
But mainly use it for rallying. Once it's done, if it's wanted at any of the slot rally GB events then just ask folks. When's the first event of 2012?

Just hope the weather holds so I can use my big outdoor workshop.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
No physical progress made today, but the ideas have been spinning around my head. Well, there's not much up there to stop it.

What I have learned is that making a rally track is a lot different to just making a race track. To me at least, there needs to be a reason the track twists and turns like it does. So....

Here's the back story. The track is set near a steep hill in a rocky mountain (the left end of the track) A struggling farmer (because farm buildings are the easiest find in 1:32 scale) has a small holding near the bottom of the hill and is in need of revenue. The local motorsport club is in need of a place to stage an event and approach the farmer who is more than happy to have his pockets lined for the use of his land. What he doesn't realise is that the crazy rally fans will drive through and around anything that they feel will make a good course.

When the buildings I have purchased arrive I will take a few pics and explain more.

One of the farm buildings.

The farmers' humble dwelling.

You just know that the rally fans are gonna abuse these.

Not sure if I will use all the buildings but i'm gonna try and fit them in without it looking too crowded.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Well the sun was shining and it is the wifes turn to work this weekend. No excuses not to get on with it then.

And good progress was made too.
All 3 boards are now made up and the smaller end board has been marked out. I think i'm happy with it.
My wife says i'm like a big kid when it comes to slot cars, so today I did some colouring in!!
The red and blue lines are the slot, you can just about make out the darker lines that will be the dry stone walls.
There will be a building where the A4 plan is.

This section is the old paddock, not used for horses anymore as some of the dry stone walls are in need of repair.
The design has changed a bit and looking at it outside I was pleased with how it seemed to flow. I have just seen how it looks in theis pic and something doesn't look right.

All 3 boards to get an idea of size.

More will be done tomorrow, but I don't want to commit the lines too much until the buildings arrive and I can see how big they are.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
A bit more to add from todays efforts.

I recut the Alpine loop section, the old was just a test really and the MDF had been hanging around since we built the Pioneer teat track. All the supports are made and that will be tomorrows job, routing and fixing it all.

Ive got a feeling this is going to take a lot testing.

That is gonna be one steep climb up the hill.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
I quite fancied a Church in an old town square type thing, but the only complete buildings they do are the 2 i've gone for. Shame! If only my moulding skills were up to making the rest of the church/house.
Good job i've made the boards a decent size. 2 @ 5' x 3' (1525 x 914mm) and 1 board is 4' x 3' (1220 x 914mm) It's not quite as big as my other portable track, but it'll do.

Discussion starter · #21 ·
We race in my garage all year round.
https://sites.google.com/site/altonandwinchesterslotcarclub/ Only a couple of small heaters to keep the chill off. We just cuddle up to keep warm.

Anyway, back to the build.

I kinda had a good day, I got lots done, just not very happy with it. But it shouldn't be anything a bit (or lot) of poly filler, paint, scenery and copper tape won't cover up.

I got the raised section, mk11, routed and fitted. Because i'm trying to keep the curves flowing and to a rally drift line they are not an even radius. I tried to use a curtain track as a guide for the router, but it just diin't work so I went for it freehand. might be a decision I live to regret. So having read this please don't look too closely at the routing and just try to imagine th efinished article.

Blimey that's a steep climb!!

I.....don't........think........I...........can..........make.........it.

Come on slow coach. You should see the view from up here.

Ok smart A**e, you got us up here. How do we get down?

You first.

Uh uh. After you.

One thing I did learn today is that if you cut lots of slits in the underside of MDF to get it to bend nicely, then when you come to screw it down there's not a lot to hold it.

I am happy with the way the track leans on the way down, some opposite camber in there too, just to make life interesting.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Marshalling is easy. The car comes off you pick it up.
Lawn mower, bikes, old paint tins and assorted power tools etc.. live in one of the sheds. My other mobile track lives in the other shed.

And yes it is warmer in the south, my car only registered -8 last winter.

I will be cutting away the base board where I can underneath the raised section to keep the weight down. You can lift them on your own, but it's more a case of they are too awkward so it's better to have 2 peeps to lift them.

Just wanted to add a note that if anyone wants any boards making up then I am more than happy to do some. 12mm MDF glued and screwed to 2" x 1" frame.

6' x 4' £45
5' x 4' £40
4' x 4' £35
4' x 3' £35

Prices are not inclusive of delivery.

This is a 5' x 3'

Once I have routed a section of the new track I wil put prices up for how much boards will be with a 2 lane slot.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I like your thinking Dave, not having any digital track I don't know whether it could be done or not, I guess it must be possible though. You would get a good number of options if you had the right amount. I would certainly keep you on your toes.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
I managed to get a couple of hours in today.

Raised board routed and cut out for weight loss.

Like I said before poly filler and scenery will take your eye away from the poor routing.

One of the barns has arrived and looks just right in it's position.

Those rally boys just don't care where they drive!!

Hope the farmer doesn't find out.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Only this board left to route now, couldn't finish it today as the router decided to pack up. So a trip to screwfix in the morning for a new one.

I'm starting to get excited about testing now.

Here you can see that the main straight is not going to be as quick as you may have originally thought.

As you can see it's not quite as high as a scaley hump back bridge, but should still give some air time.

Another barn arrived and is placed where it will live. I'm loving those route lines.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Thanks Matt, I'll bring it along if you'll have me.
The beauty of routing is that there are less limitations than plastic track, so why not explore what you can, and what you can't do? Just hope it all comes together in the end.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Phill, you weren't supposed to show that pic. Now people will know where I got my ideas from.

No pics today, but lots of progress. I just had 1 more feature to route, the cattle grid, and it started raining. Yes guys, that's how mad I am. I'm building a routed "MDF" track, outside in England in Autumn. Doh! It's a bit difficult to take pics when everything has just been lobbed in the garage or shed doorways.
If the rain ever stops I will take some....promise.

Discussion starter · #41 ·
You could give me some tips on how you did the cattle grid. Does it rattle when you go over it??
It stopped raining and I managed to do the cut out for the cattle grid, but too dark for pics now. They'll have to wait 'til the morning.

The run up to the duck pond does have a slight 'flick' the wrong way. And the bit before the right hand 90 going through the cattle shed. The grip levels will be so poor that the feintest of opposie direction before a corner will encourage the back end come out. It's just a matter of controlling the throttle well enough to keep the slide all the way through the corner. That will be the hard bit.

I already have ideas for my next track so maybe I can apply lessons from this one and include some real long sliding corners?

I'm thinking of making some hay bales etc. Spent this months budget already and the router packing up didn't help. I will post the pics of the bales when I have done some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.