Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I know this is a long shot but is there anyone out there who used to race at the Lichfield Slot Car Racing Club at the rear of the British Legion building in the early 1970's, the club moved there from another address in Lichfield which is where I joined after the Burton 65 Slot car club closed down.

I remember Alf who only had one arm, also David Overend who's parents I think had something to do with Mallory Park race circuit and another member by the name of Kevin ? who I think was the top driver in the club, I used to come over from Ashby-de-la-Zouch in Leics in my Lime Green Clan Crusader.

I got back in to Club racing when I joined the North Staffs Scalextric Racing Club in 2010.

P.S. I currently own a Lime Green Clan Crusader though not the one I used to own in 1972.

Robert Russell.

·
Eddie Grice
2,293 Posts
Hi Robert,
Yes I raced at both venues you mention, mainly the first one though.
Did all the ECRA area 4 quallifying rounds & used to travel over from Newport, Shrops, on Friday nights occasionally.
Kevin Aulton is the name you are looking for, yes Dave Overend was another & most memorably, Alf Myers.
Alf was severly handicapped, having no arms & used to control his cars with his big toe, using an MRRC barrel controller mounted in a wooden block.
I'm sure Chris Adams, CJA on SF was another member as well. Are you there Chris

Eddie

PS. Dave Overend managed Mallory Park until fairly recently taking over after his mothers death.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Eddie,

Great to hear from someone, I didn't expect a reply so soon and hope you'll forgive me but I can't place you as its been so long.

You're right about Alf I remember now and thanks for telling me Kevin's surname, I still have one photo at least of the first track
and I know I was there in 1970 because I have a Club trophy for finishing 2nd in an F1 race, following the race a father and son
asked me would I sell my car to them, which I did.

I have two photo's of the 2nd track being constructed, one showing Dave Overend and another face I recognise but can't put a name to other than I knew he use to live in nearby Whittington and was also one of the quick drivers, another name I'd forgotten about was Roy Bickley from Tamworth who had not long joined at the 2nd track but whom I'm still in contact with though he has been out of slot cars since the Lichfield days but is a long time member of the TVR Car Club.

I reckon I was at the Lichfield club until maybe 73'/74' but its only a guess.

Robert.

·
Eddie Grice
2,293 Posts
I was a member of Joe Duttons Newport club & remember the first Litchfield club room being over someones garage?
We used to attend all the meetings they held & some clubnights when we got mobile late 60's.
Usually there with fellow Newport members Dave Hendy & Tony Hand.
I still have a vision of Alf eating his Sunday lunch in the Greyhound pub, Newport, holding his knife & fork between his toes!!
Eddie

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up Guys.

I was a "sometimes" member as I was away at Stoke Poly and later Uni in Cardiff from 1972 !!, and after grad and marriage we came up to Yorkshire where I joined the Doncaster club.

I used to come over from Rugeley, ( Slitting Mill actually ), on my Triumph 500 with my younger brother Steve on pillion.

I remember Alf building and fettling cars with his feet, inspirational really.

I also remember the "flat-out" banking !!.

Those were the days eh ??.

vbr Chris A.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Kevin aulton eh
Theres a name to conjure with
I remeber interviewing him once at the first ECRa f32 nationals ,which he had qualified for
I was writing an article for model cars magazine on the race
I ascertained from him that he was a saddle maker ,which was an unusual profession even in those days
Must have been around 1971

Cheers tony

·
Registered
213 Posts
Martin Avery was another of the young hotshots from the Litchfield club. He got in amongst the silverware at the Weller Trophy Meeting .

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All,

Is'n it great to relive old memories, ater Eddie's mention of Kevin Aulton whose surname I couldn't remember I looked on 192.com to see if I could trace him (I've been tracing quite a lot of long lost faces recently) I found four Kevin Aulton's in the
West Midlands and noted one as a possible just going by the age given, Tony Condon has confirmed that I've got the right one when he mentioned Kevin was a Saddle Maker, there's a listing for Aulton & Butler (Saddlemakers) in the West Midlands.

I also mentioned to Eddie that I had a photo of Dave Overend and someone else who I recognised but couldn't put a name to and then Ralph mentioned Martin Avery and that rang a bell.

Robert.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys,

A newby to your forum but my name has been mentioned by Crusader above... ( Robert racing Russell) !

The Lichfield club was a great place to be in my early youth, met some great friends there and learnt so much....

Still have my box of cars and bodies in the loft, so maybe might just get them out again, and visit a local track!

I remember Alf Myers very well....will always recall the time we went for a pint in the pub in Lichfield and Alf pulled his money out of his shoe!! He had no arms remember.. Alf was a great modeller and engineer, I spent some real quality time with the man, it was always an adventure to be out with him....

I remember Kev too, and the fact that he had a Datsun 240Z, at that time it was the dogs bo**ocks of sports cars, although us dyed in the wool British is best types, were not so sure !!

Dave Overend was a great character, his mum Edwina used to run Mallory park circuit.

Me, well I run my own Land Rover Indy garage in Tamworth, and run a TVR Vixen S2 which is now 42 yrs old...

Good to see you all remember the Lichfield club in the attic of the stables at the old British Legion !

Roy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys,

Robert pointed me in this direction when he tracked me down a few days ago. I had no idea there still was so much activity on the slot racing scene.
I joined the Lichfield club in late '66. At that time they were meeting in a room above a city pub, the track was mounted on two baseboards which had to be bolted together and lifted on to tressles. A permanent track was under construction which is the one mentioned by Robert. It was above a garage belonging to a local Alderman. Apart from Alf prime movers on building the track were two men who worked at a local engineering company, Noel Sneyd & Alan Hooper. Noel was a whiz on electrics and made all the lap counting equipment, it very rarely let us down.
Alf Myers was a character, despite being born with no arms he led a full and active life. He had been a mechanic, although by the time I met him he worked the switchboard at a local hospital. He drove a car pre-war until the authorites took a dim view and even rode a motorbike on the wall of death! He moved up to Yorkshire in later years to live with his daughter and only passed away in the last 2-3 years he must have been in his 90's.
Dave Overend joined with a couple of his mates from school and later Martin Avery, a superb chassis builder and a damn good racer, he got to the nationals one year as I recall. Tony Sheldon (the man in the hat) joined us for a while and later Eddie Grice.
Hi Eddie, I well remember our visits to Newport one of my favourite tracks I always seemed to go well there. Youself Dave Hendy and Tony Hand, a tragic loss. Dave O & myself finished 1st & 2nd at the first Tony Hand Memorial Trophy. I am still in contact with Dave on a regular basis. Eddie is right about Mallory Park and it is mainly due to the efforts of his Mom & Dad it was saved from the developers bulldozer in the early 80's. In fact the chicane put in to slow the bikers on the back straight was named Edwinas after his Mom a lovely lady.
And Tony Condon, I was surprised you remembered me as we were from different areas although we did bump into each other at various open meetings. Must have been my job! Just one thing, I was never a saddlemaker but a saddle TREE maker. thats the part used to make a saddle on, even more unusual!
You were right about the F32 Nationals I managed to finish 4th in the final I remember my car expired a few seconds before the power went off so I held my place.
We moved to our room behind the British Legion after losing our old one due to noise problems I think that was about 1972. Chris recalls the banking, that took some building. Others I remember from legion days apart from you guys were George Cope Nigel Manners Gary Hendon little Gary Mason Terry Howe who came from Canada I think & Martin Fretwell.
By late 74 we were in danger of losing the room again and it was at this time I decided to call it a day. Alf managed to save the day again and I think it carried on for another couple of years, I did call in a couple of times to see how they were doing. All great fun.

Cheers Kevin

·
Eddie Grice
2,293 Posts
Hi Kevin, great to hear from you again.
If you get chance call in & see us at Oaklands Park on Wednesday nights from about 8pm.
A number of people there you will remember.
Still in the same Nissen hut at the Harry Mitchell centre in Smethwick http://oaklands-park-scc.t83.net/
Best Regards, Eddie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the invite.
Have been having a look around this forum. So many names from the past, some still at it others sadly no longer with us.
Shocked to read about Dave Hendy.
Hope you are keeping well and enjoying your bus pass!! I use mine all the time.

Best regards Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its funny how the old names come back to you..... George Cope.... and many others !!

I also recall paying a visit to the slot car club in Sutton Coldfield, Parkside I think it was called.

It was situated above the YMCA at the top end of the town, we raced there a few times if my memory serves me well. Cannot recall any of the members names but I do recall they visited Lichfield on a few occassions.

Wonder what happened to that club?

Roy

·
Eddie Grice
2,293 Posts
QUOTE (Roy Bickley @ 27 Oct 2011, 18:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I also recall paying a visit to the slot car club in Sutton Coldfield, Parkside I think it was called.
It was situated above the YMCA at the top end of the town, we raced there a few times if my memory serves me well. Cannot recall any of the members names but I do recall they visited Lichfield on a few occassions.
Wonder what happened to that club?
Hi Roy,
Yes Parkside was another of the local area 4 clubs, sadly long gone.
Ex members, Steve Rhodes & Dave Beeching have recently resurfaced & joined us at Oakland's Park.
As I said to Kevin any of you are welcome to come in & see us on a Wednesday night.
Eddie

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Neale
I assume you are a relation of tony who if I remember correctly,worked for or was associated with Weller ,who manufactured soldering irons ,and other tools useful to modellers
As a result of that ,and tonys obvious enthusiasm for the sport allowed him to set up the fantastic series of WELLER OPEN meetings in the late 60s early 70s
At one stage these were the biggest 1/32 slot car meetings in the country after the national finals (which wern,t really an open meet)
I remember that there were always a plethora of prizes at these meetings and oddly enough the one that i won in 1971 involved a race long dice with the afore mentioned martin avery of lichfield which resulted in me taking the lead on the last lap of the race

happy days!
cheers tony

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (superhornets @ 3 Jan 2012, 14:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Neale
I assume you are a relation of tony who if I remember correctly,worked for or was associated with Weller ,who manufactured soldering irons ,and other tools useful to modellers
cheers tony

I am Tony Sheldon's eldest child (born 1964)
My reason for registering for this forum was to try and find out if anyone has any old photos of him or perhaps any info about his "race career"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Neale,

I remember you visiting Lichfield with your parents. The new track above the garage was up & running about spring '67. We had made a few friendly visits to other clubs arranged by our club sec. Alf Myers one of which was Newport where we first came across your dad. He came over to our club later and as I recall blew us into the weeds despite it being his first visit. Most of us at that time were using kit cars or very basic scratchbuilt but your dads were home made, but he was always helpful with advice. He was the first to introduce us to the new trend of "gooping".
It was due to his generosity that I won my first trophy at a Newport open. During the heats my car expired and I was unable to repair it so he lent me one of his and I qualified for the final finishing 3rd for my first "pot".
He became a regular member of Lichfield and organised several handicap events & fun nights for us. I remember one time he turned up with 4 Scalextric motorcycle sidecars which made for an interesting evening.
He arranged for some of us from Lichfield to marshal at the Nationals one year and made sure we got an ECRA medal for our efforts. It was the year Keith Duckworth presented the trophys and we received ours from Mrs Duckworth which was a nice touch.
By now he was working for Weller and had started the Weller Trophy meetings. I still have my heat listings which were given to every competitor and reprints were available at the end of the day with all lap times of the heats, final results and specs of the finalists cars. By the time of the second Weller which was held at Stafford we saw less of Tony, the meeting mentioned by Tony Condon was back at Smethwick and was the last I attended.
Sorry I can't help with photos, Alf new everybody in Lichfield and everybody new Alf. He was friendly with the editor of the local paper and never missed an opportunity to get an item about the club into print. I still have some cuttings with photos taken at the old club room but Tony would disappear into the back room when the camera came out.
The photo you posted is the first time I had seen him without his hat and everpresent cigarette!
Cheers Kevin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Eddie,

Thanks for that, interesting stuff. Terry Snowden another name from the past.Looking back at the entry lists helped Tony at the early Weller meetings along with their wives. Bumped into Terry at the Classic car show at the NEC some years ago.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 28 Posts