SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
MOVED FROM THREAD Start Light Gantry V2.1

Great news!

So members that are keen to have something very similar to the original (and popular) gantry v1 will be able to go for this option, while folk who want a professionally manufactured Hi-tech version can go for the Scorpius planned product... and DIY enthusiasts who want something in-between can build their own. It's good there are options to cater for a range of interests
smile.png

C

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When it comes to start lights I believe all options are good :)

The Nextion display is a great piece of kit - I am planning to use them in the modular powerbase project. Brightness levels and viewing angles are broadly similar to an iphone screen so really not bad for a $20 screen.

C

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
When it comes to start lights I believe all options are good
smile.png

The Nextion display is a great piece of kit - I am planning to use them in the modular powerbase project. Brightness levels and viewing angles are broadly similar to an iphone screen so really not bad for a $20 screen.

C
These sound ok, do you have a link for the Nextion pls?

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
https://nextion.tech/

First, I do like these Nextion displays... as LCD displays go these are really very good - with screen brighness/contrast/viewing-angle on a parr with iphone displays - yet amazing value for money.

For slotcar lighting gantries they are not as bright as LEDs and look a bit more screen-like rather than an authentic lighting gantry with round enclosures (not too surprising really). To be honest I like both approaches :)

If going down the display route I would recommend two displays rather than one... i.e. one for the gantry itself and one track-side as a touch screen race control panel.

The greatest and coolest aspect of the Nextion displays (IMHO) is that they have been designed for easy interfacing with Arduinos (just 4 wires). All the necessary touch screen interrupt handlers are already built into the display set-up software (downloadable via USB or SD card). And at the other end, all the necessary Arduino libraries are already in place and function without difficulties. Two displays with two RF-Nanos (or two ESP32s) should provide a near-perfect Arduino-based DIY wireless solution.

C

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just for fun my current profile image shows the real output photographed from a Nextion display driven by an Arduino. It took about 2hrs to get the Nextion and Arduino Nano functioning together - so a really valid option ... alongside, of course, Ades heroic offer to get gantry V1 back in business.

:)

C

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Ade, just to help with your plan to re-make lighting gantry version 1 - I will scale-back the batch of RGB pcb boards I have manufactured to just five in the first instance i.e. manufacturing compatible prototypes. That way you can proceed with the version 1 design for those who have already expressed interest. Later on, I can share the nRF/WiFi protocols so there will be, in due course, an upgrade route to go wireless whichever gantry option interested members choose.

Hope that helps clarify :)

C

PS Given there was a version 1, and then a plan to make a version 2... it might make sense to call the re-run project version 1.1 since it doesnt include some of the features trailed in version 2. To keep things simple I will call my prototype version ... version-RGB1. OK? All a bit like buses...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I think traditionnal gantry with LED looks better, as example the one I build during the lockdown:

img-1594932608-207.png

If I had to choose a LCD display I would try to build a nice animation rather than replicating LEDs looking. Then during the race sponsor's logo can be display.

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Hi Atobit - that does look great! How are you driving the LEDs? direct off microcontroller pins? or via transistor drivers?

C

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Atobit, maybe this is not the correct place to respond... but the Nextion display can run pre-loaded animations too i.e. video clips. That said my personal preference remains LED lights... so Ades offer remains a great one.

C

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Hi Atobit - that does look great! How are you driving the LEDs? direct off microcontroller pins? or via transistor drivers?

C
Ciao C

Good question as actually I tested but not finalize the two below driver schematics:

8JhfDLtl.png
]

The red led schematic was for a two side grantry, so 2 + 2 led to drive, I choosed 2 in parrallel because it simplified the wiring.
For the 5 green and yellow leds, I've put them in serie, not ideal because even with 12V, it's not enough to compasate the LED voltage drop. It works but the LED problably doesn't lit at the full power.
Maybe you have a better solution I could used for my next design?

Thanks
Claude

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
This drifted well away from the title, it was supposed to be bout new availability of the Ade Gantry.

The direction however is good so I'm going to split this off and put it under a title that uses DRC's words: lighting gantries and upcoming options...

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
To keep the thread focused I will send a PM over the weekend with some thoughts to Atobit on the above schematic.

Ade is there a circuit diagram out there for the v1 lighting gantry - I think I did see it somewhere? but a link on this thread might be useful?

C

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
So there are lots of lighting gantry options... and I am sure this is not a full list (hopefully this list will grow with time):

1/ the remake of the Ade v1 LED gantry (single colour red, yellow and green LEDs) for connection to an Arduino.
https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197335&p=2360767

2/ DIY projects - for example the very nice implementation shared above by Abobit.

Forward options:

3/ the Scorpius wireless gantry concept with wireless connectivity - nice looking and planned as a ready-made product.
https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191315&p=2265581

4/ my development approach which has options for tricolour red-green-blue LEDs and/or touchscreen display. Warming: my option will require some home construction using pre-fabricated printed circuit boards.
https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192209&p=2278893

Its always nice to have options.

C

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apologies Atobit for the above type!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
To keep the thread focused I will send a PM over the weekend with some thoughts to Atobit on the above schematic.

C
Hi C

Looking forward to here from you, so I can finish this project, finally.

Thanks!

Claude

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
So there are lots of lighting gantry options... and I am sure this is not a full list (hopefully this list will grow with time):
1/ the remake of the Ade v1 LED gantry (single colour red, yellow and green LEDs) for connection to an Arduino.https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197335&p=2360767
2/ DIY projects - for example the very nice implementation shared above by Abobit.
Forward options:
3/ the Scorpius wireless gantry concept with wireless connectivity - nice looking and planned as a ready-made product.https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191315&p=2265581
4/ my development approach which has options for tricolour red-green-blue LEDs and/or touchscreen display. Warming: my option will require some home construction using pre-fabricated printed circuit boards.https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192209&p=2278893
Its always nice to have options.
C
Update on options:

1/ https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197335&p=2365541

2/ great options with members happy to share their approach

3/ https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191315&p=2359373

4/ five prototype printed circuit boards manufactured in readiness for testing ESB and WiFi comms options.

C

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
So great progress with all four options... I think over the past few months Atobit has made the most impressive progress of all of us... and attention to the final form of the gantry wins the prize in my books :thumbsup:

Meanwhile a progress milestone with option 4 (sorry to promote my own endeavours)...

The prototype printed circuit boards have been delivered.. six. They have been manufactured to ISO9001:2015 and ISO14001:2015. So all looking very good. These boards are WiFi compatible.

C

430BFE6B-D9E9-47A3-9FB2-274F4388663B.jpeg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Thanks C.!

I'm not clear what your are going to build? The PCB you've received is a motherboard that will receive a Teensy board and other components, then connected to a TFT screen? Or a multipurpose gantry board for either LED and TFT?

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Atobit for your very kind question.

The board I have manufactured is multipurpose.

It can be used with an Arduino Nano v3.0, RF-Nano, ESP32 to generate 26 GPIO signals.

1/ In the generalised case the board can be used to control 14 npn low-side control functions.

2/ In addition, in the generalised case the board can be used to control a further 8 p-MOSFET high-side control functions.

This brings massive capability for Arduino IDE control of slotcar gantry lighting functions.

So who cares?

Lets take a simple example... a 5 x 2 lighting gantry.

I.e. a lighting grid with...

X X X X X
Y Y Y Y Y

So of the fourteen controls we use one for each of the above ten elements... and that leaves four unused.

Next, we can set any colour for row X and a separate colout for row Y. reach row can set any colour of a palette of 34k... so that uses six of the available eight control channels.

So that is the 5x2 lighting gantry explained... but there is more...

The pcb can also control touch screen displays as mentioned as well as track-side display panels.

in short... this can be the hub of three formats of trackside info display:

1/ overhead start lighting gantry
2/ race control touch screen
3/ track-side mini-displays

So that is where we are heading... who is onboard?

C

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maths error:

14+8=22

1 - 20 of 41 Posts