SlotForum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I'm on it!

I already have a 7" screen waiting to be setup as race control. And my gantry is also waiting for a control interface.

This, will save me time...and effort...

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi Atobit, the design I have is setout for Arduino Nano v3.0, RF-Nano and the ESP32 (one specific pin layout - there are several).

Not sure whether the teensy would also fit this design?

C

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
That's fine. I worked with the Arduino Uno on a 4.3 inch screen, for simple display layout it works fine but as soon as you add pictures, you are limited by the internal memory. I don't know if the ESP32 is better in that regards.

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Hi Atobit,

There are a few options:

Yes, with the ESP32 there is already 4M of user memory onboard, plus you can add extra if you want.

Then, the Nextion displays have graphics firmware onboard for drawing shapes so you dont need bitmaps. These displays are not expensive ... about 20euros for 3.4 inch diagonal. And they have an SD card slot for flash too.

Hope this helps.

C

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Hi Atobit,

I have not tested the new boards yet but also wonder if the boards are an overkill for what you require.

The boards are intended for a matrix array of RGB LEDs... i.e. each LED can light up a different colour. They use two ULN2003AN and two VQ2004 integrated circuits.

If you simply want five independent red LEDs and a pair of green LEDs and a pair of yellow LEDs then you can do all of that with a single ULN2003AN... it has seven outputs.

So you choose...

1/ take a microcontroller of your choice... take seven GPIO pins and forward to the seven inputs of the ULN2003AN and connect outputs to LEDs via suitable series resistors. I can share the circuit... its very very simple.

2/ If you prefer I can send you one of the new boards.

You choose.

C

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Hi C

You can send me a board, I can see how I can used it the best, maybe beside controlling LED I can drive a TFT screen.

Please in a PM, tell me the cost of the PCB and shipment cost to Italy, I'll send you the payment through Paypal.

Claude

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hi Claude, its a prototype so charge is zero. If you PM me your address in Italy I will happily send one across to you. Another one is heading to the US...

C

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Let me check... I have two types of ESP32 one fits and one does not.

C

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yep

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
It is time to breathe fresh life into this discussion of RGB start light gantries.

So first, why RGB? or more fully... why Red-Green-Blue?

This means each light in the start light gantry can light up any colour. So, for example the same LEDs can be used for the red start light sequence as required for steady greens, flashing amber... or even waving flag animations such as a blue flag.

My design uses a 5 x 2 array of these RGB LEDs which appears sufficient to create a reasonable level of animation.

Next...

I have redesigned the DIY gantry project to make it more accessible and to add various upgrade paths or customisation. The project is a core building block rather than a ready made solution.

All options involve some soldering. Some options require application of existing Arduino code while other options require new coding too.

The 5 x 2 RGB lighting head now includes the driver circuits and so can be controlled directly by the output signals from an Arduino.

The board will be made available with all surface mount components pre-fitted - just add the RGB LEDs, and connectors and then connect to an Arduino. No bulky relay boards. This is ready for DIY user coding.

Then there is the option of embedding a microcontroller which adds eye-catching animations for yellow flag, blue flag and finish flag. This option retains compatibility eith Arduino code already written for SSDC and RCS64.

Then a further option to track sensors add readouts for ID and speed (in development),

A further option will add WiFi connectivity (again, in development).

c

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
My thinking is that WiFi will be used for:

1/ local configuration of the gantry via a webserver function.
2/ display mirroring onto a WiFi enabled TV
3/ direction connection with ARC PRO and for PC based RMS which have ongoing development programmes. For SSDC and RCS64 the gantry will use an Arduino with USB port for serial comms using freely available Arduino code.

I hope the top reason for purchasing will be... it looks very cool and adds something useful to the race experience.

But less cables will certainly feature in the advertising brochure too :)

c

·
novice jazz player &
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So that is all the elements designed for the 2021 starting light gantry - and apologies if this repeats what I have already mentioned.

Four main versions though many design aspects are common across different versions...

1/ basic version: single colour 5x2 LED array and Arduino Nano as controller
2/ intermediate version: RGB 5x2 array with Arduino Nano as controller ( this includes embedded firmware to control lighting hue and flag animations).
3/ advanced version: RGB 5x2 array with WiFi interface (primarily for ARC PRO)
4/ pro version: as above and with track sensor interface for ID detection and speed read-out.

The single colour version will have:

top row - five red LEDs
bottom row - probably: yellow/green/blue/yellow/green LED sequence.

The Arduino board is a small PCB with socket for the Arduino Nano and up to twelve I/O connections which mate up with the gantry I/O interface. It also includes 12 SMD LEDs which mimic the logic levels of the respective I/O channels. These will help DIY users to reconfigure Arduino digital pins in their standard Arduino sketches as used for gantries e.g. with SSDC and RCS64.

c

21 - 40 of 41 Posts