SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
redstar
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well here is another odd & rare set for all of you who like the odd type slot cars..its made by lincoln not in hongkong but in new zealand.the cars have 3 1/2 volt motors.they are both coopers similar to the scalextric ones but a little longer.the controls are great !they look like they were converted flashlights.the box art is what really makes this set odd.the children seem to be racing in some sort of horror movie.i beleive this is a very early lincoln set because the artwork on the box,the controllers,etc,seem cruder than the later lincoln cars & sets in my museum(bernardsslotcarmuseum.com)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
A lovely, if quaint, find, Bernard. They certainly are early models.
I'd have reservations about the "made in New Zealand" label. I wasn't in or near NZ in the 1960s, and in the years before free trade NZ had the technology, plants and purpose to build such things itself, but from what I've found while looking into 1960s slot-cars here they seem to have imported components and repackaged them as "made in NZ". The market was small and the import regulations flexible enough for that.
I suspect the parts were made in Hong Kong after all.
Rob J

·
Administrator
9,905 Posts
Another amazing set Bernard, and thanks for the details on Made in NZ Rob. I was just wondering yesterday if there had ever been any slots made in New Zealand... your explanation sounds pretty logical.

Interesting to see that these are direct drive with the little Kaka motor, like the earliest Eldon/Ungar cars... and I think you're right about that controller Bernard, definitely looks like a converted flashlight (torch)!

Don

·
redstar
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rob you maybe right.i looked more carefully @ the different parts & i found "made in hongkong" on the end of the flashlight,but found "made in new zealand"on the underside of the track.its in the hongkong section of my website anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Before a genuine New Zealander jumps on me, I'll point out that I was not saying NO slot-car parts were made here, just that I'd have reservations about 1960s "Made in NZ" markings, particularly on packaging. The stamp on the underside of the track suggests that those parts were really made here.
Is there any mark of origin on the car bodies, or the box, Bernard?
New Zealand did manufacture or assemble an almost complete range of consumer goods in the 1960s, including plastic toys, and there was at least one popular range of NZ-designed and made diecast models. Vac slot-car bodies were apparently made here. However, I haven't yet found a completely NZ-made slot-car or set.
The Scalex Lotus 16 was produced in this part of the world, marked "Made in Australia and New Zealand". The bodies were apparently made in Australia (Melbourne, I think), but I don't know what, if any, other parts were of local origin.
I have a kit box marked RSL and "Made in New Zealand" but the cars are Marusans. The only sourceable parts are the HIT motors and I'd guess the other parts were imported too.
I'd be happy to hear of what was actually produced, rather than assembled, in NZ.

Those low-voltage Hong Kong motors seem to have been imported in fairly large numbers for various toys/models. I picked up a box of 10 or 12 of about three types in the 1980s and used one in a home-made chassis (with pinion and contrate). It stood up to 12V use surprisingly well.
Several later Lincolns were sold here, marked Made in Hong Kong, including an early 1960s Lotus, an ugly "Formula 500" and one that looks like a McLaren M19 (unfortunately too small to bother modifying for 1/32 use). They had small can motors that do not cope with 12V.
Rob J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.